Military rads residency?

Started by Doc_Ock
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doc_Ock

First Aid is life
Removed
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe this belongs in military medicine but it's pretty quiet over there; anyone have any experience with radiology residencies in the military? Knowledge on any branch would help.
 
I’m an army resident. Our programs are typically only open to active duty residents via HPSP or USUHS. Recently there has been a single VA sponsored slot at my program, but I hear that may be going away.
 
I’m an army resident. Our programs are typically only open to active duty residents via HPSP or USUHS. Recently there has been a single VA sponsored slot at my program, but I hear that may be going away.

Can you speak to quality? I would think that the military would have the latest and greatest whiz-bang toys and a decent patient population to practice your skills on.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you speak to quality? I would think that the military would have the latest and greatest whiz-bang toys and a decent patient population to practice your skills on.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We’re probably middle of the road. We do certain things well and others are underrepresented. It comes down to our patient population and the overall mission of military medicine. Our equipment is decent, not cutting edge.
 
We’re probably middle of the road. We do certain things well and others are underrepresented. It comes down to our patient population and the overall mission of military medicine. Our equipment is decent, not cutting edge.

Agree- Overall, middle of road. The patient population is somewhat skewed; as a result we read more MSK MRs, and less complex peds and oncologic imaging than your average university-based civilian resident. Equipment can sometimes lag behind; some military programs still lack tomosynthesis, for example.
 
Agree- Overall, middle of road. The patient population is somewhat skewed; as a result we read more MSK MRs, and less complex peds and oncologic imaging than your average university-based civilian resident. Equipment can sometimes lag behind; some military programs still lack tomosynthesis, for example.
you army too? I'll knod my head like I know what tomosynthesis is.