Military Reserves for ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Free Radicle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any knowledge on what it is like to be a resident or in private practice while in the military reserves? I have heard you get a monthly stipend while in residency (which is good b/c I'm broke). After residency I have heard that your one weekend per month and 2 weeks/year are usually involved either in learning or teaching or doing ophthalmology. Overall does not sound bad - let me know opinions/facts if you all have any.

Members don't see this ad.

I can only tell you what I know about the Air Force. As a resident, you are eligible for a stipend only if your specialty is considered a "critical" field. As of last week, ophthalmology was NOT a critical field for the AF Reserve.

Also, given the current world climate, I would be careful about what "one weekend a month / 2 weeks a year" will really mean in the near future.

One_weekend-thumb.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend...be very freaking careful! Reservists are increasingly getting mobilized to Iraq (6 month tour) and Afghanistan. I personally know a few who are currently over there. If you are fine with deploying and being away from your family then reserves might be a good idea. For more information and experienced opinions re-post this question in the Military Medicine forum. Good luck!

DiveMD