MD & DO Military scholarship for someone with Physical Disability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sage of Pale Bones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

(I am looking into dentistry, but think that the physical requirements for the military scholarship should be the same. so I took me post on dentistry and applied it here - Thanks )

With the godly D-school prices and the saturation of dentistry I decided to apply for the military scholarship and took this time to learn more about it.

One thing that caught my attention is the physical test that is required. I have a muscle conditions that makes thing like climbing up stairs difficult (but definitely doable- myotonia congentia is the condition I speak of ). Can I pass the physical portion of the officer training? What types of things must you do? Will they cut me some slack as (I'm assuming ) a military dentist won't be required to do extraneous physical activities.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You would more than likely require a waiver, which isn’t guaranteed to be approved. But you won’t know unless you try. Do you think you’d be able to pass the PT test of the branch you’re looking to join? Would you be able to deploy? Those would be important things to consider if you want to join.

Hey guys,

(I am looking into dentistry, but think that the physical requirements for the military scholarship should be the same. so I took me post on dentistry and applied it here - Thanks )

With the godly D-school prices and the saturation of dentistry I decided to apply for the military scholarship and took this time to learn more about it.

One thing that caught my attention is the physical test that is required. I have a muscle conditions that makes thing like climbing up stairs difficult (but definitely doable- myotonia congentia is the condition I speak of ). Can I pass the physical portion of the officer training? What types of things must you do? Will they cut me some slack as (I'm assuming ) a military dentist won't be required to do extraneous physical activities.

Thanks!
Where's the wise @Gastrapathy when you need him???

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you need to do on the physical exam, I mean I can run and do sit ups. I just need to warm up and may not perform as well as some others...
Unfortunately whether or not a condition is waiverable is not just about whether or not you can meet the PRT standard (you can google Army, Navy, and Air force PRT standards if you'd like to know what they are, BTW). For example recent use of Adderall is disqualifying. So is recent use of antidepressants, even if you are no longer depressed and are completely functional. So is a history of well controlled asthma. You are welcome to request a waiver, of course, and we are not recruiters, but your condition doesn't sound waiverable.

Have you looked into the NHSC scholarship? Again, I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that they don't have the same physical requirements as the military

Reactions: 1 user
Best bet is to set up a time to speak with one of the HSPS recruiters for the desired branch.

Reactions: 1 user