Military Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an AF anesthesiologist who had every intention of making the military my career. I was an AF brat while my brother is an Academy graduate and current pilot. Whatever you do, please strongly reconsider your HPSP scholarship, USUHS or loan repayment program. Unless you like being bossed around by nurses (even staff positions mind you), low pay, uncertainty of residence, vacationing in Iraq.... The military rewards ass kissing and longevity, not clinical competency, skill, and efficiency. There is a major disentive to work, esp. of your support staff, which is an oxymoron in the military system. Your ancillary help is not accountable to physicians. In order for their career to succeed, they must check off every other box beside good patient care.
I would NOT even accept a pay raise of 300,000 to stay one more year.
I withhold my name not because I'm a coward (I've served in Balad, Iraq) but because for professional reprecussions. Ironically, I give up a part of my first ammendment rights while supposively supporting this ideaology over there. Also, I'm a registered Republican.

Members don't see this ad.

This post should go to the Military Medicine forum.

It's also duplicated in the Osteopathic Forum....

Moderator?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks alot for your honest opinion. I was seriously considering USUHS when I got accepted, but because of the residency limitation I went another way. Best of luk to you!

AFdoc said:
I am an AF anesthesiologist who had every intention of making the military my career. I was an AF brat while my brother is an Academy graduate and current pilot. Whatever you do, please strongly reconsider your HPSP scholarship, USUHS or loan repayment program. Unless you like being bossed around by nurses (even staff positions mind you), low pay, uncertainty of residence, vacationing in Iraq.... The military rewards ass kissing and longevity, not clinical competency, skill, and efficiency. There is a major disentive to work, esp. of your support staff, which is an oxymoron in the military system. Your ancillary help is not accountable to physicians. In order for their career to succeed, they must check off every other box beside good patient care.
I withhold my name not because I'm a coward (I've served in Balad, Iraq) but because for professional reprecussions. Ironically, I give up a part of my first ammendment rights while supposively supporting this ideaology over there. Also, I'm a registered Republican.

Wow, good to know!

AFdoc said:
The military rewards ass kissing and longevity, not clinical competency, skill, and efficiency. There is a major disentive to work, esp. of your support staff, which is an oxymoron in the military system. Your ancillary help is not accountable to physicians.

Oh, for a minute there I thought you were talking about LA County... well, at least it's better than Iraq.

dittto, residency limitations -- HUGE disincentive.

AFdoc said:

It is too bad the military route has not worked out for you. Why did you originally join the program? If your main reason was that your family has been involved in the military, well, that just doesn't seem like a good reason. If you got into it because it is an honor and privilege to provide healthcare to American uniformed service members, then I commend you. The way you lambast the institution, you make a very poor example of an officer. Your comments suggest that you have lost sight of the fact that as a member of the military, you are part of something bigger than yourself. The mission is primary. It's not about the size of the paycheck, or whose bossing whom. Voluntarily accepting commission carries certain responsibilities necessary for the protection of our citizens, country, and constitution.

kwiggo said:
It is too bad the military route has not worked out for you. Why did you originally join the program? If your main reason was that your family has been involved in the military, well, that just doesn't seem like a good reason. If you got into it because it is an honor and privilege to provide healthcare to American uniformed service members, then I commend you. The way you lambast the institution, you make a very poor example of an officer. Your comments suggest that you have lost sight of the fact that as a member of the military, you are part of something bigger than yourself. The mission is primary. It's not about the size of the paycheck, or whose bossing whom. Voluntarily accepting commission carries certain responsibilities necessary for the protection of our citizens, country, and constitution.

There are some great military residencies too! (GO ARMY!)