Military Spouses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaikai128

Yes SIR. ;-)
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on attempting to get the HPSP scholarship from the AF. I am aware of the hardships of military life, as I already live with some of them. My question: Does anyone here have first hand experience or knowledge as to how much the AF attempts to keep married couples who are both in the AF in the same region as one another. If I get the scholarship, I will be, of course, in the medical field while my significant other is a pilot in the AF.

Members don't see this ad.

They are "supposed" to station you close together, if not at the same location, but that is a big "IF".

My wife and I were both active duty physicians. We did not live in the zip code for 4 years.

Many stories like that out there. If it is convenient for them to station you guys together, then they will.....if not, then they don't care. Don't believe any promises or guarantees that the current detailer gives you.

It can happen, but count on being separated.

Thanks militarymd. I appreciate the response. Being "close" is close enough for me. However, the fact that he is a pilot owning a plane and I am currently working on building up hours for my license will make things significantly easier--commuting in a plane is quicker than in a car. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have a sweet mount (as in all-weather), beware commuting by plane. Can't tell you how many times my schedule has been screwed up by the weather. Not a problem when I was in the lab (the mice can always mate another day), but I now can't take those chances while on clinical rotations.

"Time to spare, go by air."

Good luck.

Ideally...he would be communting, not me...he has the experience and owns the planes. :)