Military/Uniformed Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theSteppenwolf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone currently serving as a military or public health commissioned corp psychologist? What is it like? Would you recommend it?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone currently serving as a military or public health commissioned corp psychologist? What is it like? Would you recommend it?

While I am still a student at USUHS, I am exposed to military psychologists all the time. It's not that straight forward, each branch has a different culture and different ways they use psychologists.

Most Psychologists get deployed in the Military. Army the most, Navy is second, USAF gets the shortest and least amount of deployment. I would assume that members of the USPHS are really not getting deployed anywhere dangerous (outside of Washington, D.C.)

Would I recommend it, well yes, but only to the right person. This is something you would want to do, not something that you should do without thinking through the consequences of your actions carefully. You give up some freedom, but you get many benefits, it's not always peaches and cream but it isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. You first and foremost must adapt to a different culture, the military forces you to live differently than you would as a civilian. In short, I like it. I did 10 years in the USAF and I am going to do at least 10 years in the Navy when all is said and done.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Active duty intern here (with 8 years prior service as a Mental Health NCO before going to graduate school and switching over). Ask away, but first use the search feature.

Members don't see this ad :)
my advice is click on barmy's and my name and read the numerous posts that he and I have made on military psyc.

Active duty intern here (with 8 years prior service as a Mental Health NCO before going to graduate school and switching over). Ask away, but first use the search feature.
I like the new sig :).

I like the new sig :).

Well, half the people on this site think that anyway about us military psychologists because of some stupid interview they heard on NPR, (you know the ones with no verifiable information and hear say) so I thought I would just go with it.

Well, half the people on this site think that anyway about us military psychologists because of some stupid interview they heard on NPR, (you know the ones with no verifiable information and hear say) so I thought I would just go with it.

LOL, wanna go to gitmo with me? I hear that the beach is awesome. ;)

Mark

LOL, wanna go to gitmo with me? I hear that the beach is awesome. ;)

Mark

Roger that. I will bring my pliers (for finger nail pulling) and my surf board.