Military uniforms at school interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AvsPearTree

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've tried to do some digging, but it seems the last time this was asked was five years ago and received a very mixed bag of answers.

So I was wondering if its ok for active duty military to wear their uniform to school interviews (excluding USU)?

I don't want to wear it if they are seen as inappropriate and I of course don't want to appear pretentious, but I absolutely hate wearing suits and I am proud of my uniform.
 
No issues. Had 2 classmates, one in their army and the other in their air force during our interview day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would ask the schools. Most say professional dress so we would expect to see what you would wear when you go to a hospital like for a residency interview, i.e. suits. Outside of a formal interview, maybe you could. I never had anyone come in uniform before.
 
I've tried to do some digging, but it seems the last time this was asked was five years ago and received a very mixed bag of answers.

So I was wondering if its ok for active duty military to wear their uniform to school interviews (excluding USU)?

I don't want to wear it if they are seen as inappropriate and I of course don't want to appear pretentious, but I absolutely hate wearing suits and I am proud of my uniform.

I wore my Army dress blues (I assume you're referencing the formal dress not everyday unis) back in 2012. I think it worked fine for me.
 
Thanks everyone for the responses, definitely reassuring to hear about others who've done it without issue.

I would ask the schools. Most say professional dress so we would expect to see what you would wear when you go to a hospital like for a residency interview, i.e. suits. Outside of a formal interview, maybe you could. I never had anyone come in uniform before.
Definitely a great piece of advice and I'll make sure to ask if the school is ok with it or not, fingers crossed that I wont have to buy a suit that I'll never use again after those interviews.

I wore my Army dress blues (I assume you're referencing the formal dress not everyday unis) back in 2012. I think it worked fine for me.

Good to hear and definitely going with dress whites/blues myself.
 
Definitely a great piece of advice and I'll make sure to ask if the school is ok with it or not, fingers crossed that I wont have to buy a suit that I'll never use again after those interviews.
I am fairly sure you would need that suit in the future, so invest in a good one (maybe two). I have never attended a professional society meeting where someone appears in military attire, especially when it's at a networking event among students and residents and resident directors.

Just wait until you have to purchase graduation regalia if you become a faculty member. I would say if the suit is well tailored, you will look awesome and will welcome opportunities to wear it. It is one of the key investments you should make as a new student.
 
Last edited:
I did not wear one, nor did I ever see anyone wearing one in school or residency interviews (though I'm sure people did who were in HPSP heading for military match, but that's different). And while I did not interview with a few friends who were also in, they did not wear theirs either.

Seems to not matter much one way or the other TBH, but your resume/application will have your military stuff on there already, and I'm sure it will come up in the interview. You don't need to wear the uniform.

Wearing it will surely have you stand out in that regard, but to each their own on their interpretation of if it's good or bad to stand out in such a way.

I'd suggest just wear a suit and let the application and your interview do the talking in that case. Maybe wear a pin or something if you want something visual without being entirely in uniform.
 
I imagine every school would permit that, however if I was on the admissions committee (I was offered a position and declined) I would view that sort of behavior as someone trying to use their military status as a means to get a leg up. I would not view that as a positive thing. Not everyone will agree with me on that. I imagine you are going into a professional field, suits are usually the appropriate dress code for most formal events.
 
I seem to recall @LizzyM once gave advice to an applicant regarding whether or not to be in uniform during an interview. I hope she responds to this tag.
 
So about 15 years ago, a person very active on this board asked me in a PM if I thought he should wear his dress uniform for an interview. Two days later, a guy shows up in a dress uniform for the branch and with the insignia I would have expected. I had no idea that the interview he was asking about was at my school! He ended up wearing the uniform to every interview. He got into UCSD as a non-California resident and into at least 4 T20 schools plus USUHS and G'town -- basically every school that interviewed him. YMMV

I have been to professional meetings where I have seen active duty military attending in uniform. It is the equivalent of a suit and even substitutes for academic regalia in university convocations and graduation ceremonies. Based on my observations over the years, military service is worth 0.5 GPA points. If you've got it, flaunt it.
 
Thank you very much everyone for your replies and opinions on this! It definitely makes this a tricky situation, and I am leaning towards wearing my uniform at this point, but I will call schools first to see if they may have any issues with it.

I am fairly sure you would need that suit in the future, so invest in a good one (maybe two). I have never attended a professional society meeting where someone appears in military attire, especially when it's at a networking event among students and residents and resident directors.

Just wait until you have to purchase graduation regalia if you become a faculty member. I would say if the suit is well tailored, you will look awesome and will welcome opportunities to wear it. It is one of the key investments you should make as a new student.
Yeah, I know I will need a suit one day; I was exaggerating and will buy a suit one day, though you can ask my wife, it will be very reluctantly. I will, of course, no longer wear my uniform after I separate from the military.

I did not wear one, nor did I ever see anyone wearing one in school or residency interviews (though I'm sure people did who were in HPSP heading for military match, but that's different). And while I did not interview with a few friends who were also in, they did not wear theirs either.

Seems to not matter much one way or the other TBH, but your resume/application will have your military stuff on there already, and I'm sure it will come up in the interview. You don't need to wear the uniform.

Wearing it will surely have you stand out in that regard, but to each their own on their interpretation of if it's good or bad to stand out in such a way.

I'd suggest just wear a suit and let the application and your interview do the talking in that case. Maybe wear a pin or something if you want something visual without being entirely in uniform.
I did take your advice and went out and bought a Navy pin to stick onto a suit in the event I wear one. I definitely will not wear my uniform once I get out, so I'm not considering it when it comes to residency interviews as I don't plan to take HPSP or apply to USU. It seems to be not a big deal, but it will be something I heavily mull over regardless.

I imagine every school would permit that, however if I was on the admissions committee (I was offered a position and declined) I would view that sort of behavior as someone trying to use their military status as a means to get a leg up. I would not view that as a positive thing. Not everyone will agree with me on that. I imagine you are going into a professional field, suits are usually the appropriate dress code for most formal events.
You bring up a very fair point and one of the reasons I asked this question in the first place. There is some risk vs. reward even when deciding between a suit or a uniform, but I feel it may be a risk I will take unless the school advises against wearing a uniform. I have my reasons, and as dumb as they sound, I feel like an idiot when I wear a suit, and I find a lot of pride in my uniform and wearing it makes me feel more confident, and honestly, that self-confidence boost may be something I need when it comes time for an interview.

So about 15 years ago, a person very active on this board asked me in a PM if I thought he should wear his dress uniform for an interview. Two days later, a guy shows up in a dress uniform for the branch and with the insignia I would have expected. I had no idea that the interview he was asking about was at my school! He ended up wearing the uniform to every interview. He got into UCSD as a non-California resident and into at least 4 T20 schools plus USUHS and G'town -- basically every school that interviewed him. YMMV

I have been to professional meetings where I have seen active duty military attending in uniform. It is the equivalent of a suit and even substitutes for academic regalia in university convocations and graduation ceremonies. Based on my observations over the years, military service is worth 0.5 GPA points. If you've got it, flaunt it.
Your post was the final nail in the coffin when deciding between wearing my uniform or not, and this was a very pleasant surprise to read! I understand my experience may be different, but you practically read my mind with the tangible comparison between military service and 0.5 GPA points. It's been a burning question in my mind continuously about how truly impactful military experience is on applications.
 
Bare in mind regarding the last comment. The applicant would have had interview offers at those places to begin with via AMCAS suggesting a stellar applicant to begin with. The uniform didn’t magically get them there. And they likely interviewed well because of their experience and such. I’d be willing to bet the uniform did not get them accepted, and that it was everything that went into earning it and their school performance.

Also wanted to add that I was TAD a lot of my time while in and traveling around the US for various reasons. My “uniform” much of the time was civilian attire/suit aside from a few military specific duties while traveling. Id suggest that the event be matched to what’s expected which would be what everyone else is wearing. But again, just an opinion.