Military Veterans!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenBlade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got out of the Army after five and a half years of nonsense. I was wondering how many of you got out, completed undergrad, applied and got accepted into medical school?
I would also like to know your numbers (MCAT, sGPA, cGPA).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey GreenBlade. First, good luck to you.

My story isn't typical for a veteran... I got a Bachelor of Arts from a top 20 school. My gpa was atrocious... we're talking 2.5 range. A year after I graduated from that college the end I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve. I've been in an infantry company for 4 and a half years.

I spent the last two years knocking out my science prereqs. I ended up getting a BS in chemistry with a 4.0 gpa, but that only brought me up to a cumulative 3.0 gpa. My MCAT was a 37

So far I've had two acceptance and have cancelled four interviews. It feels great.

You probably dont need to do nearly as well on the MCAT as I felt I needed to do... that 2.5gpa has been a shadow haunting me these last two years.

I just got out of the Army after five and a half years of nonsense. I was wondering how many of you got out, completed undergrad, applied and got accepted into medical school?

Thanks

Like Atticum, I went to a top 20 UG. Came out with a 3.3 GPA and 3.0 sGPA. Had a 33 MCAT, but didn't get in. Went to grad school (MSPH), and then decided to join the Army. Took a direct commission into the AMEDD. Spent 5 1/2 years in and reapplied to medical school. Retook the MCAT and got a 34.

Currently in my first year, and enjoying it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey GreenBlade. First, good luck to you.

My story isn't typical for a veteran... I got a Bachelor of Arts from a top 20 school. My gpa was atrocious... we're talking 2.5 range. A year after I graduated from that college the end I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve. I've been in an infantry company for 4 and a half years.

I spent the last two years knocking out my science prereqs. I ended up getting a BS in chemistry with a 4.0 gpa, but that only brought me up to a cumulative 3.0 gpa. My MCAT was a 37

So far I've had two acceptance and have cancelled four interviews. It feels great.

You probably dont need to do nearly as well on the MCAT as I felt I needed to do... that 2.5gpa has been a shadow haunting me these last two years.

Impressive MCAT score.

Yo Greenblade,

You starting college or did you already have some credits on you before we all went on our Adventures-Requiring-MEDIC!-Yells?

I am about to finish an AS at a local CC. I only have physics II, o chem II, biochem, stats, psychology, and another bio course to meet all the requirements for any medical school in Texas. 4.0 GPA.

UN, then Air Force (total 7 years). Had classes from various universities depending on where I was located at the time and some on-line classwork. I finished with a 3.9 cgpa, 3.9 sgpa, and 34S MCAT and applied MD/PhD at a mix of programs (18 in total). I had 10 interview offers, attended 8, and was accepted at 5. It's been a journey, but it's definitely possible :)

Thanks

Heh sounds about right.

4yrs AF flight medic, 3yrs city firefighter/medic, did my AS while enlisted (CCAF had to be done all P/F = 0.00 GPA), got out finished my BS, did a 2yr post bacc for the pre-reqs and upper level sciences, did a MS and some research, then applied.

Ended up with a low 30s MCAT, close to a 3.6 and 3.8 cGPA/sGPA, and almost a 4.0 gGPA.

Basically average stats.

Had a ton of leadership, community service, athletics, and other unique ECs.

Applied all over the US to about 20 schools. Got into 6 schools with a couple of scholarships, turned down a bunch of interviews.

Get a solid MCAT score (28+) and you should be in great shape, especially since you live in Texas.

Good Luck!

Any idea where you're going to pursue your bachelors? I'm a vet that has worked my way into a top 10 undergrad. If you have any questions about the transfer process feel free to PM me. You'd be shocked at the options on the table as a Vet transfer w/a 4.0

Any idea where you're going to pursue your bachelors? I'm a vet that has worked my way into a top 10 undergrad. If you have any questions about the transfer process feel free to PM me. You'd be shocked at the options on the table as a Vet transfer w/a 4.0

I am going to UTSA (UG). My wife works here and we really cannot move. Not interested in UIW or Wayland Baptist (private schools).