Military Veterinarian?

Started by MyMia
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MyMia

Crazy Cat Lady
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings.

I've been seriously thinking of becoming become an military veterinarian. What are the steps to become one?
 
Greetings.

I've been seriously thinking of becoming become an military veterinarian. What are the steps to become one?
1. Get into a vet school
2. Call the military, sign papers

It sounds sarcastic but it's pretty much that simple
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As far as I know, the only capacity that the USAF has for vets are as Public Health Officers. We've had a few different vets in this way, never have I seen them practice as a vet in an official duty, only moonlighting.
 
Bottom line up front follows:

If you are interested in starting the process, talk with an Army Medical Recruiter i.e. someone who specifically handles recruitment of doctors, nurses, dentists, etc in your area. You can do this before starting veterinary school or early in the first semester as the selection board for the HPSP scholarship is earlier than when I competed for it. They will help you with checking your eligibility for application (i.e. do you have a medical condition that would preclude serving) as well as collecting everything you need to submit a packet on-time.

Feel free to private message me if you have questions you don't want to necessarily share with the forum.