Military Volunteer/Observation Difficulties

Started by scrawnyguy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

scrawnyguy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This question is geared towards those who are applying to Army Baylor, but anyone can chime in if they have any advice. I am applying to the Army Baylor program next cycle. I left the Army last spring after more than a decade. Trying to complete science courses with labs and obtaining observation hours while on active duty was pretty much impossible. I made the tough decision to get out and focus solely my application. My prereq courses will be done in the spring and I am taking the GRE next summer. I have been able to obtain over 600 hours in a couple different PT settings over the several months, however I have been unable obtain any volunteer/observation hours in a military setting. Army-Baylor strongly, strongly suggest obtaining hours in a military setting since this is the population you will be treating. So here's the issue...

When I left the Army I moved to Denver and I started trying to line up military hours almost immediately. The closest military base, Buckley AFB, is just outside of town. After some research I found that since they are a small base they don't have hospital, just a small outpatient clinic. It took a while but I finally was able to get in touch with someone at the clinic. It sounded like they would be willing to host me but unfortunately at that time they didn't have a single PT of staff. All of their PT stuff was referred to civilian clinics in the area. I was discouraged but I didn't give up and set my eyes on the next closest option, Ft. Carson. It's over an hour drive from me but I figured I could suck it up once a week for the next few months. After several weeks (probably months) of phone/email tag I finally made contact with the right person. They actually have a person on post who specifically manages healthcare shadowing
opportunities. I was ecstatic until she sent me the application requirements. At this time only current members of the military and their dependents can shadow or volunteer at this hospital.

I have an excellent military record, my grades are great, and I've been able to obtain some awesome volunteer experience but my application could be held up by something completely outside of my control. I am trying to find out where this policy originated. I'm hoping I can be granted an exception. After a decade of service that included 3 deployments I think I've earned the opportunity. It's very frustrating.

I think that is enough ranting for now. Here's my question...has anyone else run into a similar issue? If so, how did you skin this cat?
 
Contact the Ft. Carson Red Cross branch office or closest to it and see if they have options for you. That's what I did, and they run background checks and can grant you access to the base/post (that's usually why the clinics limit volunteer to active duty and dependents....access issues).
 
:xf:
Contact the Ft. Carson Red Cross branch office or closest to it and see if they have options for you. That's what I did, and they run background checks and can grant you access to the base/post (that's usually why the clinics limit volunteer to active duty and dependents....access issues).

That's actually who I initially went through. They told me that unless I was a licensed healthcare professional they could only let me volunteer if I had a military or dependent ID card. I eventually convinced the Red Cross rep to forward my resume to the PT dept. to see if my experience as a PT aide would get my foot in the door. The POC at the PT dept. seemed willing to host me (although I'm not sure if she was aware of the ID requirement), but said that all potentials students have to go through a specific office on post that covers shadowing and other healthcare educational programs. Once I got there I was once again told that I need a military ID. I did some research and it looks like new security procedures were put in place starting in August at posts nationwide. I dug around a little more and went to Red Cross webpages throughout the country and many that cover say they won't even consider your application to work on post without a military/dependent ID.

Actually just as I was typing the message I received an email from Buckley telling me that they just hired a PT for the post. They said I should give her a month or so to get settled but I may be in luck. Who knows, maybe the Air Force has different rules and I can sneak in there. I would much rather see how an Army PT clinic operates but a 20 minute drive to Buckley sounds a lot better than an hour and 20 or more to Carson.
:xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That sucks! I was done shadowing last summer (2013) so still likely old rules. Good to hear about Buckley!
 
Also, does Baylor have any advice for you? If this is a preference factor, it would seem they need to provide a bit more instruction?
 
Also, does Baylor have any advice for you? If this is a preference factor, it would seem they need to provide a bit more instruction?
I emailed the recruiter last week but I have yet to hear back. If this new security policy is indeed nationwide I would think that they would have to take it into consideration. If not it puts all "civilian" applicants at a significant disadvantage. It honestly stings a little bit. It feels like the service that I have dedicated my entire adult life to ( I was 17 when joined) wants nothing to do with me. I would have gladly stayed in but my chain of command and our mission optempo made it impossible to complete the requirements while still serving. I don't feel like I had a choice.

I've honestly been thinking about joining the Guard lately anyhow. I miss the sense of camaraderie I had in the Army. If I do join back up I would have a military ID and this is a non-issue. The only thing worries me if I go that route is getting a release from the Guard when it comes time to apply to the Army Baylor program. I'd really be rolling the dice.
 
What about the reserves? I think it would be easier to go from one to the other (vs Guard) I recently transitioned myself into the reserves with the hopes of going back active duty after school. (I was also frustrated when I was in...had to separate for the same reason. I couldn't switch career fields nor could I complete any of the requirements when I was in).
 
What about the reserves? I think it would be easier to go from one to the other (vs Guard) I recently transitioned myself into the reserves with the hopes of going back active duty after school. (I was also frustrated when I was in...had to separate for the same reason. I couldn't switch career fields nor could I complete any of the requirements when I was in).
The meeting with the Guard recruiter didn't go great. For starters he was a half hour late. That's a bad way to start things off. I was a recruiter for a while so I'm a hard sell. Once I mentioned Army Baylor he seemed to get a little flustered. He said the CO Guard gets a handful of Army Baylor slots each year. I know this is BS. I think he was getting the DPT program confused with the PA program. He's not a medical recruiter so that's understandable. Things got a little sticky though when we started looking at vacancies. If I'm going to go with the Guard it would nice if I could transition to a medical MOS like 68W. There were no E-6 vacancies in the state for 68W. There was one E-5 slot but it is in an Infantry unit. I'm not necessarily opposed to that. Losing rank would be a bummer. They only have promotion boards once a year and I would miss the next cutoff so I would be stuck at E-5 for the duration of my contract. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose. I might talk a a Reserves recruiter next week to see what they say. I was AGR for the Reserves for a long while so I have a better idea of how they operate. I think my last unit did TPU boards quarterly so even if I had to take a grade reduction I could probably get it back quickly.

On another note, when I got home tonight I had an email from the Red Cross at Carson. It honestly has me a little confused. It looks like I may be able to volunteer there after all. From what I gather the PT dept. kind of vouched for me so I may be able to volunteer without the military ID. By the time I got the message it was too late to call and clarify that I was good to go. I replied to the email though and CC'ed the POC in the PT dept. I'm hoping that way we can all get on the same page. If I can volunteer without the ID I probably won't join either the Guard or Reserve. I miss being in the Army but as you know it can be stressful. Giving my mind and body a chance to recuperate before starting what I am sure will be a very stressful PT program. ( I also have grown fond of the beard and longer hair that I have been sporting since I got out and I'm not quite ready to be clean cut again).

Hopefully this all gets sorted out in the next couple weeks or so. I know I shouldn't let it but it's stressing me out big time. I have a feeling that if I don't get it somewhat resolved it will get to my head and I'll be a drag during the holidays. That's a good way for me to end up on sleeping on the coach for the next month. I can't have that.
 
Good news! The Red Cross told me today that I am good to volunteer at Carson. I head down there early next week to complete my processing. That's a huge relief. That drive is going to be killer every week but it will be worth it in the end.