Military withdrawal syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you experienced military withdrawal syndrome? I'm finding myself craving the hard organizational structure of the military. The civilian world seems so "free floaty" as my friend described it.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you experienced military withdrawal syndrome? I'm finding myself craving the hard organizational structure of the military. The civilian world seems so "free floaty" as my friend described it.

I felt the same way! So much so that I want back in, this time into the MC!

It really depends on what you transitioned to. For instance, if you leave the military to join a small-medium sized company in the realm of coporate America, you could actually find yourself in a more stressful and regimented environment (especially given this economy and the dismal job security).

on the other hand, if you transtion to an academic or large-hospital setting, you'll find that free-floaty nature. I chose the former, to go to grad school. I've seen some crazy things, scientists presenting in flip-flops, can't put together a PPT, showing up late or not at all. Things that definitely wouldn't fly in the military. Some of them do work harder though. Hell its a holiday and half of us are in lab!

One thing the military has that the civ world doesn't always exhibit is the sense of comraderie. I definitely miss that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started interviewing for post-military jobs this week. What amazes me the most is just how free it all felt. I could live anywhere I want (because I'm allowed to and because I can afford to). I could work anywhere I want. I don't have to take a job. I don't have to work any particular day. I can't wait.

Then I come back to my email where I'm being offered a position in Germany (again) if I stay in. Of course, it comes with 2 more years of commitment....

I just left my husband after he beat me so bad that I ended up in the hospital. But, now that the divorce is going through, what am I going to do with my life? So many decent men to choose from. So many jobs other than making dinner and doing laundry.

Well, I just got a call last week. "I'm sorry, baby..." he said, "this time will be different..."

I don't know what I'm going to do...

I have been out for 18 months now, and I can say, that there hasn't been a single second of a single day when I wished that I was back on active duty.

There have been lots of sleepless nights when I wished I had NEVER been on active duty, and even a few fleeting moments of pride in my service, but not a single moment of wishing I was back in.

I want out (of IRR)

Red: These walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them. That's institutionalized

-The Shawshank Redemption

I just left my husband after he beat me so bad that I ended up in the hospital. But, now that the divorce is going through, what am I going to do with my life? So many decent men to choose from. So many jobs other than making dinner and doing laundry.

Well, I just got a call last week. "I'm sorry, baby..." he said, "this time will be different..."

I'm starting to think you're nothing but a dedicated troll.

Good one!

As another poster, there has not been a second when I would have wished to be back in that hell hole.

I can, however, understand some of what IDG is talking about as his time with the Marine Corps is something I may understand, but not anything I experienced.

I love the freedom the constitution provides me, as well as my right to free speech, something I did not have in the military.

Oh I get it, you're doing the whole military = abusive husband bit. Very clever. But you never actually served, did you? (I recall you mentioning something about doing ROTC briefly?)

I also like the structure of the military. Too much freedom in the civilian world :)

You guys are right, I need to take my own medicine. Shortly after arriving at my new department, the department head appointed a new vice-chair who I've been butting heads with. It was kind of weird there was no discussion at all about the appointment. The individual is both the program director and vice-chair which I think is a conflict of interest. The individual is a great physician but doesn't have any leadership experience which make things really akward. Think I'm gonna have to move to the VA.

Members don't see this ad :)

If this were a zombie movie, I'd have to shoot you right now. And then when everyone asked me why I did it, I'd say "he'd been bitten - he was turning into one of them."

You guys are right, I need to take my own medicine. Shortly after arriving at my new department, the department head appointed a new vice-chair who I've been butting heads with. It was kind of weird there was no discussion at all about the appointment. The individual is both the program director and vice-chair which I think is a conflict of interest. The individual is a great physician but doesn't have any leadership experience which make things really akward. Think I'm gonna have to move to the VA.

Careful with the VA, from what I hear it's just as big of a beuracratic mess as the military (minus the fun perks of traveling and wearing a sharp uniform!). So if you got out b/c you hated the red tape, you're probably wont be pleased with the VA system either (not to say that you can't still work with veterans, maybe via a university or private practice).

what's your current situation? at a hospital, under contract, can you just walk away?

Thought about the active reserves, where you drill once a month two weeks/year? Nice way to keep one foot in the door, one foot out. Plus you can go on temporary stints of AD if a cool assignment pops up, if you're able and willing to take it (also the possibility of mobilization, which you have to consider).

Leaving military medicine has been a massive change for me and still is. It seemed like in military medicine we were under constant scrutiny from everyone around us. There was so much emphasis on well written paperwork. I've found civilian medicine to be different. A psychiatrist I work with just scribbled a note and put it in the patient's chart!

Leaving military medicine has been a massive change for me and still is. It seemed like in military medicine we were under constant scrutiny from everyone around us. There was so much emphasis on well written paperwork. I've found civilian medicine to be different. A psychiatrist I work with just scribbled a note and put it in the patient's chart!

Well in that regard I'm sure you'll find a wide spectrum in the civiliam world. I'm sure there's hopitals that use extensive EMRs, momandpop clinics that use scribbled notes.

Why did you leave AD? What pushed you out?

In general, I'm pretty sure "my contract expired such that I could legally escape" qualifies.

The question isn't "why did you leave", it should be "why the f--- did you sign up in the first place" or (to a few) "just how many times did you get dropped on your head as a baby in order for you to be dumb enough to stay"

== I got kicked out for doing something stupid.

Again, you're a dedicated troll, and I'm done feeding you. I hope you enjoyed the meal.

I don't know if Habeed is a troll or not, but I can assure you that I have spent time on active duty, and there were times that I was bitter enough to sound like Habeed.

i want out (of IRR)

I don't know if Habeed is a troll or not, but I can assure you that I have spent time on active duty, and there were times that I was bitter enough to sound like Habeed.

i want out (of IRR)

I don't doubt that for a second. your posts are much more informative and interesting. Thanks for contributing, and for your service.

i just left my husband after he beat me so bad that i ended up in the hospital. But, now that the divorce is going through, what am i going to do with my life? So many decent men to choose from. So many jobs other than making dinner and doing laundry.

Well, i just got a call last week. "i'm sorry, baby..." he said, "this time will be different..."

i don't know what i'm going to do...
lol!

Red: These walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them. That's institutionalized

Excellent analogy and a great movie. :thumbup:

this is why so many retirees stay around as contractors.

i want out (of IRR)

Excellent analogy and a great movie. :thumbup:

I'm not gonna lie. I was getting more than a bit crestfallen that no one had commented on the oh-so-appropriate reference to an awesome movie.

I posted my story in another thread. Do a search and you can find it. I left because I really wanted to focus on my family. Someone told me once military medicine was a kind uncaring machine and they wouldn't have hesitated to deploy me the moment I checked into my next duty station. The other thing was I fought really hard at my job to make things better. We won some battles and lost others but it was taxing. I felt like I needed a break.

Would be curious to hear what the other posters have to say but I feel like I'm in a better position to go on a deployment now than when I was in the Navy (I'm not in the reserves however!)

I'm working at an academic medical center. Sure I could walk away but what would that accomplish. Interesting trying to adapt:)

I posted my story in another thread. Do a search and you can find it. I left because I really wanted to focus on my family. Someone told me once military medicine was a kind uncaring machine and they wouldn't have hesitated to deploy me the moment I checked into my next duty station. The other thing was I fought really hard at my job to make things better. We won some battles and lost others but it was taxing. I felt like I needed a break.

Would be curious to hear what the other posters have to say but I feel like I'm in a better position to go on a deployment now than when I was in the Navy (I'm not in the reserves however!)

I'm working at an academic medical center. Sure I could walk away but what would that accomplish. Interesting trying to adapt:)

Sounds like you miss the fight, and the drama! I know how you feel. Compared to military life, civilian life can be very boring and un-dramatic!

Since we're quoting movies here:

Trautman: It's over Johnny. It's over!
Rambo: Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war!

No, in all honesty though, sounds like you just got out. I'd give it some time, like a year or so. If you don't really like your civilian situation, you could try moving on to something else (another medical center, maybe private practice).

If you still want to be in uniform, on a part-time basis, look into the active reserves. I don't mean to sound like a recruiter, but it can be a good deal. Not sure what it's like in the MC reserve component. But in my community things are fairly flexible. We can drill almost whenever we want (doesn't have to be a weekend), so if there's a cool exercise going on or a short u/w, we can hop on it possibly. You may be able to do something analogous, say work at an MTF for 2 days a month. Of course, there is the chance of mobilization, not sure what that chance is in the MC (it's pretty low for Naval officers across the board at the moment). You'll have to weigh that risk.