Military/working dog PT

Started by cafshDPT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cafshDPT

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm a 2nd year DPT student very interested in canine rehabilitation. I had heard that there are PTs working at the VA and directly for Army/Air Force/Navy, etc. who rehab the service dogs. Does anyone know anything about this very niche area of canine PT? Specifically - what are the locations where this occurs? How do you get that literal dream job?

I have browsed through the canine PT forums and haven't found anything on this niche specialty, so I'm hoping someone out there might be able to point me in the right direction! Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
 
Hi! I'm a 2nd year DPT student very interested in canine rehabilitation. I had heard that there are PTs working at the VA and directly for Army/Air Force/Navy, etc. who rehab the service dogs. Does anyone know anything about this very niche area of canine PT? Specifically - what are the locations where this occurs? How do you get that literal dream job?

I have browsed through the canine PT forums and haven't found anything on this niche specialty, so I'm hoping someone out there might be able to point me in the right direction! Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
I am an Army PT and pretty familiar with most aspects of care. I am not familiar with this one. If this does occur, then the best avenue to inquire is through the Army veterinary corps or even military working dog handlers. They are more likely to have accurate information with the care of military working dogs. I have not encountered a case of a PT who has provided care for them. Good luck.
 
You should check out the Penn VET working dog center! They do rehab on high level canine athletes and all sorts of working dogs, including MWD.