Million dollar listing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellandross

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just watched this show on Bravo called "Million Dollar Listing". Its about these three douche bag real estate agents in Beverly Hills, who are I think the age of 21-28.

Talking about tool bags

Watching these guys sell multimillion dollar properties and make hundreds of thousands in commission makes me sick.

We work our tails off, school and residency for 12 plus yrs, have a decent education, save lives and make what these guys make in selling 2-3 houses.

Just had to vent my fustration and disgust

Members don't see this ad.

Manny Ramirez just got offered a 2-year deal with the Dodgers for $45 million with a third-year option (paying him an additional $22.5 million plus a bonus if the Dodgers exercise it).

I'm sorry, but no one is worth that kinda of money for "working" eight months of the year hitting a little white ball, especially not that douchebag. No one should wonder why the "Average Joe" can't take his kid for a nice afternoon matinee game anymore.

:mad:

-copro

Manny Ramirez just got offered a 2-year deal with the Dodgers for $45 million with a third-year option (paying him an additional $22.5 million plus a bonus if the Dodgers exercise it).

I'm sorry, but no one is worth that kinda of money for "working" eight months of the year hitting a little white ball, especially not that douchebag. No one should wonder why the "Average Joe" can't take his kid for a nice afternoon matinee game anymore.

-copro

Why does this piss you- the self-avowed libertarian- off, when this is the price that the free market has determined for his salary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I was slightly incorrect (I just checked). It's $15 million/yr for two years, with an option on the third year (which likely means he'll get an additional bonus if he stays).

Why does this piss you- the self-avowed libertarian- off, when this is the price that the free market has determined for his salary?

I'm not against it in that I don't think he should get the money or that I think it's inherently wrong. Someone (perhaps enough people) believe that he has enough value to garner such a salary. But, I do think that it is disgusting the amount of value we place on celebrity in our culture, and that this money is far beyond what anyone should get in comparison to what he gives back to society. That's just my opinion, though, and others may disagree with that.

Look, that $15M/yr has to come from somewhere. That means higher ticket prices, higher dollar amounts on advertising paid by companies, and higher prices for me at the grocery store (etc.).

What that doesn't mean, to me, is that the government should step in and regulate how much he gets, or tax him higher because of it. Just because I have a Civil Libertarian leaning doesn't mean that I can't scoff at the absurd excesses and what I perceive to be the misappropriation of resources to individuals who don't provide a substantial benefit to society. I ultimately have to pay for this, too, in an indirect sort of way. Civil Libertarianism does not, contrary to misperception on this forum, mean "every man for himself" and "screw society - I'm in it for me". It just means that government doesn't have all the answers to society's ills, and that it should step out of things it has a woeful track record of spending billions on with little to no results. Don't confuse this with what I perceive to be an outrageous salary given to an a**hole.

I do have a say, though. My option is to not watch those games, not go to the ballpark, and not buy the products he endorses. But, I realize that alone it's just a fart in a windstorm.

-copro

Damn. I saw the thread title, and blindly clicked away hoping there was a million dollar listing on Gasworks.

:(

well, i can't argue that certain people...namely real estate and financials pull in huge dollars with not as much hard work as most other people need to. but, you also have to realize they have less job security. quit bitching and go do it if you think you can. Nothing is stopping you. Or maybe something is....(job security)....

a couple of those guys come from rich families with connections in real estate in LA/malibu/beverly hills and were probably just handed the jobs and network spot. i would probably do the same thing if i was in their shoes, and i don't think med school ever crossed those people's minds.

it's possible some of their listings are now ashes at this point-

-copro
can you hit a 90 mile an hour fast ball or breaking pitch on a regular basis? Not many people can. Thats why he makes the dough. There are plenty of people who can do what you do.

I knew I would get the reponse "well why dont you go sell houses in B-hills then".

Come on we are not in the 5th grade.

You are missing the whole picture here and if you watched the show you might have some understanding or depth into what I'm saying

Corpro has some idea with the Manny comment, but not realy

Job security? The market that these guys sell houses to is not affected by our so called depression.

I mean come on, a 22 yr old tool bag should not be able to sell a 15 million dollar property and much less make over 100 thousand in commission. What dumb ass trusts the opinion and negotiations of some high end property to such a little douche bag.

I mean what real skill do this kids have besides knowing how to use a hair spray bottle or how to match a pair of socks with the outfit for the day.

At least Manny and all the other professional atheletes have some sick talent that less than .01% of the rest of us have.

B&R

I knew I would get the reponse "well why dont you go sell houses in B-hills then".

You are missing the whole picture here and if you watched the show you might have some understanding or depth into what I'm saying

Job security? The market that these guys sell houses to is not affected by our so called depression.

I mean come on, a 22 yr old tool bag should not be able to sell a 15 million dollar property and much less make over 100 thousand in commission. What dumb ass trusts the opinion and negotiations of some high end property to such a little douche bag.

I mean what real skill do this kids have besides knowing how to use a hair spray bottle or how to match a pair of socks with the outfit for the day.

At least Manny and all the other professional atheletes have some sick talent that less than .01% of the rest of us have.

B&R

Is it any different than Kim Kardashian rolling in a Bentley? Any other young actress with moderate talent but good looks? Models with vacuous intellect?

Not sure if you've learned it yet, but the most handsomely wealthy aren't necessarily so because of intelligence or hard work.

can you hit a 90 mile an hour fast ball or breaking pitch on a regular basis? Not many people can. Thats why he makes the dough. There are plenty of people who can do what you do.

You're right. Is that worth $15 million a year, though? I dunno.

I guess I should really be bitching about the guys who run Aetna, deny coverage to their policy holders, and pay themselves upwards of $10M annual bonuses. There are plenty of people who can do that job as well.

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
I have people in my some-what distant family that are like that (not to that extreme of course, but still make more money than I could ever imagine in my lifetime).

Little Johnny grows up with a silver spoon in his mouth, goes to a college and barely graduates, gets a job working for his daddy's business at age 22, and he's set up for life.

Seems like a boring life to me, but maybe I just haven't been jaded enough yet. I just think sitting around in million dollar mansions, driving ferraris, and partying every night would have to get old real quick.

That's the way it is though. There's a couple lines from a song that are pretty accurate about it.

"You know where it ends
Yo, it usually depends on where you start"

Take a look around-nepotism is still alive and well-how many *****s do you know that are only in their position because of their parents? It starts at undergrad. and med. school admissions. These were the same punks that had to repeat a year of med. school... That is life though.

I have people in my some-what distant family that are like that (not to that extreme of course, but still make more money than I could ever imagine in my lifetime).

Little Johnny grows up with a silver spoon in his mouth, goes to a college and barely graduates, gets a job working for his daddy's business at age 22, and he's set up for life.

for some reason this made me think of Tommy Boy.

B&R

How is that not a legitimate response? And how does that response make someone sound like they are in the "fifth grade"? You are just a whiner and a hater, period. If their job is so alluring to you, why don't you switch professions? Nobody is stopping you.

Just one thing to demonstrate nepotisim,"W"
and you are upset about real estate?

And hitting a little white ball benefits society.....how?

You're right. Is that worth $15 million a year, though? I dunno.

I guess I should really be bitching about the guys who run Aetna, deny coverage to their policy holders, and pay themselves upwards of $10M annual bonuses. There are plenty of people who can do that job as well.

-copro

Yes, manny is worth it when he hits.. so is jeter and all the other spectacular athletes who have "special skill". you cant teach it, its god given and not many people have it.

Yes, now you are getting closer. The dickheads at aetna and the other insurance companies are the real enemy. they are making truck loads of money on the backs of hard working people. And its legal. The congress allows it. They have zero skill. well i cant say zero, its minimal or marginal.

what does benefitting society have to do with it? If that were the case police officers and firemen would be making tons of money. and teachers. Your mother shoudl have told you that early on that the world has nothing to do with logic or fairness, once you get over that you will live a happier life.

What does "benefiting society" have to do with anything? The stupidity on these forums is nauseating.

Pro atheletes attract huge audiences. Advertisers want the attention of audiences. Advertisers pay big money to get some of the attention of the audience during commercials. A giant chunk of this money goes into the pockets of the athletes, who are responsible for attracting the audiences in the first place.

If you have a problem with this, then either become a pro athelete, or stop being a jealous, naive, whiny hater.

What does "benefiting society" have to do with anything? The stupidity on these forums is nauseating.

Well damn dude don't come around here then if this place is so bad.

I don't agree with jwk's comment at all either but I find no reason to indiscriminately bash him and everyone else.

How is that not a legitimate response? And how does that response make someone sound like they are in the "fifth grade"? You are just a whiner and a hater, period. If their job is so alluring to you, why don't you switch professions? Nobody is stopping you.

Seth03,

First of all, no one is is whining or hating. It's a "discussion" board. The one cool aspect of this anesthesia forum is that one can discuss other aspects of life other than medicine. I suggest you go to the medicine forum and bring a bucket a water to wash the sand out of your clam shell.

I just saw this show on TV this weekend and thought it was pretty entertaining and was disgusted that this 22 yr old douche bag was making hundred of thousands of dollars by being a middle man. I just thought it might make a intersteing line of conversation.

I wasn't looking for people to let me know that "I should have been a real estate agent" if I'm jealous. Also that reponce sounds like a fifth grader becuse it is no better than saying, I know you are but what am I

Just because your arse was probably kicked around one to many times in 5th grade doesn't mean you still have to be a hater.:scared:

Seth03,

Just because your arse was probably kicked around one to many times in 5th grade doesn't mean you still have to be a hater.:scared:

1. I haven't been hating on anyone...so I have no idea where this comes from or what this even means.

2. I can't help but call you out.

----

3. JWK I apologize for indirectly calling you stupid. I suck.

B&R

No, I got your point. Your point is life isn't fair. No shyt. I hated it too once but I've learned to accept it because it's energy spent uselessly. I understand your disgust though. It is pretty ridiculous. But value what you have, not what these turds are doing.

Last edited:

life without sports or arts would be pretty lifeless and boring. its an expression of human nature that is kind of a need.

I can't say that 15 million is the price it should be, but sports and arts definitely benefit society.

life without sports or arts would be pretty lifeless and boring. its an expression of human nature that is kind of a need.

I can't say that 15 million is the price it should be, but sports and arts definitely benefit society.

Ask N.O. citizens post-Katrina what the Saints meant to their city, or the Hornets' run last year.

Ask N.O. citizens post-Katrina what the Saints meant to their city, or the Hornets' run last year.

That right there is the damn truth, man.

Watching the first Saints game back at the Dome vs. Atl in a dive on Magazine Street surrounded by about 100 of my new closest friends was by far the most emotional sports experience of my life. That was an incredible season that meant a ton to the recovering city.

-copro

He is, because he can do it, and you can't, neither can anyone else. People do pay for it, plently of average Joes plenty on the game and a $35 hat for their kid.

To be in medicine you have to like what you do. I don't like the hours and the low pay while in residency, and the potential for impending doom in health care just as much as the next guy, but in reality we all knew more or less what we were getting into in our generation of physicians. In all reality, if we wanted to be those real estate guys, we have the freedom to do so....most of us wouldn't want that, and if we do, there is nothing stopping us from pursing that.

We as docs need to be politically savvy and have the ballz to stand up for our profession. We don't need to get all hypersensitive and whiny, we have made it this far in our careers by being playas, not by being haters.

We as docs need to be politically savvy and have the ballz to stand up for our profession. We don't need to get all hypersensitive and whiny, we have made it this far in our careers by being playas, not by being haters.

Wrong.

This is about free agency, and how it is ruining professional sports. It's a "business" that gets to play by it's own rules, doesn't have to comply with federal anti-trust laws, and uses (among other things) taxpayer dollars to fund the building of its "places of worship" (i.e., ball fields, basketball coloseums, football fields, etc.).

I'm not bitching because there is a market. I'm bitching because the market has been created, and I have to fund it - whether directly through taxes or indirectly through higher prices for consumer goods.

That's my point.

-copro

-copro[/QUOTE]

That is how the free market works. Buyers and sellers meet in the open market and exchange goods and srevices. MR probably generates many times his salary.

MR is like a rock star. We are professionals but no where close to rock stars.
Physicians could not be paid like rock stars. I did not become a physician to make millions. I make a lot more than my father ever made.

As a professsional I do not expect to be paid what I am worth. I am paid what my employer has determined is necessary to retain my services.

My happiness doesn't come from my compensation package. It comes from my working hard to give the best possible care to my patients.

MR can do things that most of us can't.

I don't care for sports but those guys deserve what they make.

I love being a doc and have no regrets.

The feeling that I get from saving a life or improving someones quality of life is in a word priceless.

I may sound naive but this is my opinion.

Cambie

I don't care for sports but those guys deserve what they make.

I'm not arguing that he shouldn't get paid what price he commands; I'm arguing that this is emblematic of our misplaced priorities as a nation.

-copro