Mills Post Bacc Acceptances/Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AppleFan1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone heard back yet from the Mills Post-Bacc Program? Looked at threads and was surprised to find that people a few years back heard in early March.

Anyone know whether or not they've been accepted or when acceptances are sent out?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

So I just found out I was accepted to the Mills Post Bacc -- entering Fall 2012!! :soexcited: :clap:

Good luck to everyone else applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
They should be rolling out on a continual basis now. Jo Scullion said they started sending them around the end of March/beginning of April. I got my acceptance via email around March 29th.

Also entering Fall 2012! Very exciting!

Dang, no one else? I was hoping to talk housing plans with folks . . .

I got my acceptance via email on April 5, along with Financial Aid award letter. :D My deadline to accept and put in the $300 deposit was April 16.

I'm really excited about getting in, but I am concerned about the financial feasibility of attending. I think the total cost of attendance was $55k/yr - and that doesn't include the summers. Assume ~90% of that is loans, I would be $90k in debt before starting med school and figuring out how to support my elderly family.

How is everyone else doing it?

I believe the base tuition for pre-medical grad students is $27.5K per academic year. Assuming one completes the program in 4 semesters, that should be $55K for the whole thing, less if you load on courses. There are a few other small charges for campus services, health services, transit services, etc., some optional. That's still a sizeable chunk of debt, but nearly $90K. Still, nothing to scoff at.

I suspect loans, savings, and working will come into to play for a lot of us.

Yeah, it's not just the $55k tuition, but the living expense/rent/food that makes it seem easy to go over $100k in 2 years.

Some good news for all those thinking about Mills though:
1.) Got a $5k Mills tuition scholarship (I think many students get this)
2.) In 2nd year, you can work as TA for 1/2 off tuition

Congrats to everyone who got in! I just got accepted as well!

I know this is slightly off the topic of acceptance/rejections, but they just notified me a couple days ago and then gave me a deadline of next Friday to decide. I don't know anything about the program except what's on their website and what I've read in forums. Freaking out a little bit about how I'm supposed to make such a quick and uninformed decision. I wanted to post on here since it's the most recent thread about Mills.

If anyone has any information on the following, I would love you for it!

Do they offer MCAT prep? I read that there are "topical review sessions", but what does that mean?
Do they give you a committee letter of recommendation?
Do they have a big focus on volunteering/medical experience?

flyaturtle - Did you get the scholarship offer when they gave you the rest of the information about your financial aid offer or when they send you the acceptance email? I haven't gotten my financial aid offer yet and I don't think I will before I'm supposed to give them my answer. Also, do you know if everyone gets the opportunity to be a TA or is that only available to a couple people (and therefore, not a guarantee, but a slim chance)? I would like to be able to bank on that if I can (in order to cut down on the student loans like you were talking about).

As far as I can tell, topical review sessions mean "subject-based." Good for going over material, but different from preparing for the nature of the test itself. Unsure, though.

Mills doesn't have a premedical committee, just a faculty member who acts as an individual advisor.

They also provide students with resources on medical research/volutneer opportunities in the bay area. Basically, they have a list of stuff you can do, but it sounds like making it happen is up to you.

I would email the financial aid department to ask about the assistantships. They should be able to give you a clearer picture of how many such opportunities are available.

Hope any of that helps.

I got into mills, just got the email yesterday. Deciding on it soon. Anyone know how likely linkages are? I'm 31 so I'd like to possibly do the program in a year and go to med school next year.

Quickly becoming Mills' unofficial rep here: they have three linkages, with Tulane University, University of Pittsburgh, and Western Health Sciences' college of Osteopathy. Though I think it's technically possible to do the program in a year, from what I've heard it's not recommended. It's a serious commitment academically, and doing that much science/labs in a year is a challenge, not to mention difficult to balance with the rest of your life if you have a job/family.

Well, I made the decision (seems like the hardest one I ever had to make!). I'll be going to Mills this fall! :)

Congrats, Minic! Sorry, for some reason I can't get the alerts to work right on SDN, so I missed your note. :(

Anyway, I got my financial aid award around the same time as the acceptance letter. It will post to your online account. I put in the FAFSA around January.

One Mills student told me MCAT prep is offered via Kaplan at a discount. TA stuff is not guaranteed, but made it sound attainable if you make your intentions early on. They don't have a committee, but for me, after I met the advisor, Jo Scullion, it became very, very clear that she is the reason why this is a top program. Very knowledgable, wise and better than any committee anyday. I also sat in a class and was very impressed by the teacher, the small class size, and the students I spoke to. They all confirmed that you will get top choice of any class/schedule you need (vs. other local programs, which were much more crowded and competitive for getting optimum schedules).

Look forward to meeting you all!