Mills Post-Bacc Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twofish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody going to the Mills program this fall? Anyone attended the program knows how good the program is?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I just completed the Mills post-bacc program. I did it in one year, as I already had some of the prereqs done during undergrad. The program is meant for those who are missing some/most of their premed reqs. I had also been accepted to almost every other post-bacc program (nyu, upenn, columbia etc) but decided on Mills because of the Bay Area location - although, be warned, that the campus itself is beautiful but the surrounding neighborhood is 'wack.' Moreover, you will almost certainly need a car for the duration of your studies. The courses are taught in small group format (physics had about 30 in lecture and 10 per lab section; biochemistry had 5 students in lecture, 4 in lab) etc. The faculty is great about office hours etc. There is not much when it comes to advising really, and you're on your own when it comes to finding volunteer activities and the MCAT. The post-bacc community is/was quite strong - get togethers, study groups, etc. I would probably have done the program over again - although I do wish that there were more linkage opportunities - which do make a difference if you're planning on taking 2 years to do your premed reqs. Hope that helps.

I was a Mills postbac student - I finished in 2000 and started medical school in 2001 UCB-UCSF Joint Medical Program). I enjoyed the small class size, the proximity to home (SF), and the interesting and fun students. I found the lack of advising to be problematic and since the departments are small (one physics teacher, three bio teachers), you don't have alot of room to maneuver. I really disliked one of the bio profs (I think it was mutual), which made it difficult when it came time for letters of rec. Mills has a pretty good reputation and many of us in my year got into UC schools. Keep in mind the cost, although if you are also considering other private programs, its probably not that much more than others. The work is tough but everyone does well. For me, it was worth the cash and the effort - I got in exactly where I wanted and am very satisfied. Feel free to email if you have more questions.

Emily

Members don't see this ad :)
harmlessfun21 said:
<snip> - although I do wish that there were more linkage opportunities - which do make a difference if you're planning on taking 2 years to do your premed reqs. Hope that helps.

What are the linkage opportunities? I read Tuoro University and Tulane.

Is this correct? If so, what does the linkage entail?

hi...

I am finishing up some prereqs this fall at Mills.

I actually know very little about the program except that people in the past have done well there, and it's super close to where I am settled and happy at the moment. :oops:

Feel free to contact me if you need anything or have some general questions.

~MD