MilMed Plan for Incoming M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvester500

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Afternoon. My whole life has been dominated by the pursuit of medicine since middle school. Now, I'm admitted to med school (age 24 after 2 gap years). However, I have also had a lifetime dream of serving in the military (wish I would have enlisted out of high school, but mother told me to go to college). My uncle was a Col., general surgeon, FST member. My place of employment is led by a 20-year service member (Navy ER guy, one of the smartest and greatest leaders I believe I will ever meet).

I truly believe I am drawn to the military for the right reasons. I truly want to serve what I believe is the best patient population in the world. One of my ideal outcomes is becoming a general surgeon on a USAF SOST. I want to deploy, given the right specialty. If I had a crystal ball and could see I end up matching GS, ER, anesthesia in 4 years, I would sign up for USAF HPSP right now to track toward SOST, but I do not have this crystal ball. There are several other "ideals" (ortho trauma, ortho oncology, neurosurgery, urology, the list goes on). Long story short, I believe the potential lack of freedom associated with MilMed match is at odds with my wishy-washy career goals. For this reason, I have chosen to forgo HPSP.

Does anybody think it would behoove me to consider doing FAP once I start residency? Yes, I want to serve, but if I am going to serve, I do want to take advantage of SOME financial benefits. My thinking is FAP if basically anything other than Ortho or NS. These specialties are obviously more lucrative, so the financials really favor civilian, and there don't seem to be very many downrange deployment options for these specialties, but correct me if I'm wrong. Then, I'd do my active duty obligation after residency, hopefully do SOST, then leave and join the reserves, deploying when needed.

Does this plan seem to be well-informed? Naive? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to be a .mil doc , then Reserves >>>>> Active Duty IMO.

If you say no to HPSP, your next swing at the .mil will be after you finish internship, and who knows what will be offered in 5+ years when you are first eligible.

Lots of time to see how things are shaking out before you ever have to make a commitment.

If you say no to HPSP, your next swing at the .mil will be after you finish internship, and who knows what will be offered in 5+ years when you are first eligible.

Lots of time to see how things are shaking out before you ever have to make a commitment.
Can you comment on MDSSP at all?

If I want to do fellowship after residency, will MDSSP prohibit?

Can I pay back MDSSP starting in residency?

Any other considerations? Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ive looked into and talked to recruiters who told me that there's no place for someone in my situation essentially. US citizen graduate caribbean university and have taken Step 3 and completed one year of (categorical) internal medicine. My program knew I was looking for another IM program with hopes of going into oncology and ultimately didn't offer me a second year contract they felt it best I moved on. 5 years later I'm still SOL Ubering.

Ive looked into and talked to recruiters who told me that there's no place for someone in my situation essentially. US citizen graduate caribbean university and have taken Step 3 and completed one year of (categorical) internal medicine. My program knew I was looking for another IM program with hopes of going into oncology and ultimately didn't offer me a second year contract they felt it best I moved on. 5 years later I'm still SOL Ubering.
It seems like they told you the correct answer.
IME, the .mil is only interested in folks on track to finish residency and board certification, or have already completed those milestones.

Reactions: 1 user
Instead of FAP, consider joining after completing residency. With direct commissioning, you can get the big critical wartime sign on bonus.

Instead of FAP, consider joining after completing residency. With direct commissioning, you can get the big critical wartime sign on bonus.
Thanks. The general trend I have seen in discussions on the best time to jing the military as a doc is to push off commissioning as long as possible, basically until you're fully trained.

It seems like they told you the correct answer.
IME, the .mil is only interested in folks on track to finish residency and board certification, or have already completed those milestones.
This is a damn shame no safety net or residency alternative options