Milwaukee area jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cerev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here with any information on the Milwaukee area job market? I am interested in pp, academic and employed positions--mostly what I want to know is what the pay, culture/morale and call burden are for the different options in the area.

Members don't see this ad.

Market is pretty open. Pay slightly higher than national average. Call burden and morale will depend on where you work.

Are you a resident? Already in practice?

About 5-10 years out of residency; all that time has been spent in the ivory tower...

Members don't see this ad :)
Froedtert and all Aurora system have employee anesthesiologists. Infinity (AMC) has made a big push into the anesthesia market. Racine is Team Health. Waukesha is private. St Luke's anesthesiologists have been independent so far but will be employed pretty soon. Anesthesiologists that work at MOSH are pulling in some major dough at $70 a unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Anesthesiologists that work at MOSH are pulling in some major dough at $70 a unit.

.....maybe the beach is not so important after all.

For residents, $70/unit is a $1mil/yr job working an average amount.

Last edited:
Thanks Wiscoblue and Partydoc. Any idea what the pay/typical hours are like for the employed (MCW/Froedtert/Aurora)? From what partydoc states, I would imagine we are talking about 400, with a little less for MCW?

Is there more than a single group in Waukesha? Any concern that they may be taken over by an AMC? I am most hesitant about an AMC, as I imagine (but am just guessing) that there is a greater chance for abuse there than as an employee: perhaps that is just wishful thinking.

So what about AMCs that get 100+/unit...?

If they are averaging over $100/unit from all payors including Medicare and Medicaid, it is mind boggling. An MD only anesthesiologist in an easy casual practice can generate 1000 units/month working 40-50hrs a week. And much more if the practice is intense and you work more hours. Or if you are supervising salaried CRNAs.

Last edited:
Does anybody know what the deal is with Infinity? They were just breaking into the Wisconsin market when I was looking... people happy there? Whats the pay? Work environment? Where are they all?

And Froedert? They got a new chair, before that they used to post on Gaswork a lot. People happy there?

Last but not least-- the Madison private practice group. Are they still on their own? Bought out already?

So what about AMCs that get 100+/unit...?

AMCs are generally ACT model which requires also paying the CRNAs/AAs out of what they collect and the $$$/unit figure they collect is a combination of the MD and CRNA/AAs bill for the case. While I know of AMCs that make way more than $100 per unit from private payers, that isn't a blended average. Blended average depends more on payer mix. If you have 80-90% commercial patients, you will make a killing. If you have >50-60% Medicare/caid/self pay it gets a lot tougher no matter how good your rates are because nobody gets paid squat on those patients.

I know a guy who works for infinity. He's pretty happy. They are all MD. Pay is ~400k plus benefits like 401k and health/malpractice. Plus he gets to live in the Brookfield area with good schools and nice restaurants.

People seem to be happy at Froedtert but you would have to deal with CRNAs.

Reactions: 1 users