Mini-audition rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slim Pickins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing a 3rd year peds rotation at a place I am interested in eventually for anesth residency. Is there a way to turn this into a good opportunity to have the anesth department people see me and get to know me for when I apply? How should I go about it?

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine some of your patients might need surgery. That's a good opportunity to mingle with anesthesia. You might be able to find a mentor for a future anesthesia rotation there.

I had a similar conversation with an EM attending a couple years back. I asked him if it would be beneficial to do an outside rotation at a hospital that I am interested in doing residency at. He said "of course." Then I asked him a hypothetical question, "what if I am doing an outside rotation in IM, and I eventually decide to apply at this hospital for Radiology?" He answered, "well, it wouldn't take much effort to walk down to the IM department and ask the PD or attendings what they thought of you."

So even though it is ideal to do an outside rotation in the field you will be applying to, it is not always possible. So doing an outside rotation at that hospital in another field can still be beneficial. Attendings and PDs in the same hospital talk to each other a lot. You can bet they will ask each other for feedback on students that have rotated with them.