sinustarsi

7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2010
Status
Podiatry Student
Do I need to wear lead for the mini C-arm? I bought some eye leaded shield for $250. OUCH! I wish they can make surgical lead gloves as my hands also seem to be hit here and there when holding the foot. Thyroids/other glands seem to be affected with the large C arm but what about the Mini C arm? Any Ideas?

jonwill

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Southwest
Status
Attending Physician
Do I need to wear lead for the mini C-arm? I bought some eye leaded shield for $250. OUCH! I wish they can make surgical lead gloves as my hands also seem to be hit here and there when holding the foot. Thyroids/other glands seem to be affected with the large C arm but what about the Mini C arm? Any Ideas?
Large C-Arm
When the specimen was positioned within 2 in of the radiation source (the worst-case configuration), scatter exposure was captured by dosimeters on the platform, on the x-ray-source side, and on the image-intensifier side (Table I). When the specimen was in the 10-in position, scatter radiation was detected by dosimeters positioned on the platform and on the image-intensifier side. When the specimen was positioned in the best-case configuration, scatter was recorded only by dosimeters mounted on the platform (14 and 17 mrem [0.14 and 0.17 mSv]). Less than 10 mrem of exposure was recorded by the dosimeters in the x-ray-source and image-intensifier positions. It is important to note that if a dosimeter measured <10 mrem, a value of 0 mrem was assigned and noted in this manner on the occupational radiation exposure report that was returned to us.

Mini C-Arm
Considerably less exposure was detected when the testing configurations were repeated with the mini c-arm. Only when the specimen was brought within 2 in of the x-ray source did the peripheral dosimeters record any measurable radiation. The exposure levels were 15 and 18 mrem (0.15 and 0.18 mSv) at the platform position (Table II). In the best-case and 10-in configurations, <10 mrem of exposure was recorded by the peripheral dosimeters at all mounted positions.

J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009 Feb;91(2):297-304.

krabmas

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I wear lead whenever x-ray mini or otherwise is used in the room.

radiation exposure is cumulative and causes cancer not just infertility/birth defects.