Mini-residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi! I’m a surgical podiatrist, and I have a brother who’s a dentist. We were talking about training and the topic of mini residencies came up, and so I looked into the Pankey/Dawson/Spear CE programs and find it very fascinating. He hasn’t done any of these nor is he close to anyone that’s done one, but I think there is a role for similar type of advanced training in podiatry that doesn’t require a full year of sacrifice of income potential but yet still be transformative for one’s career. I was wondering if anyone whose done one of these mini residencies would be willing to tell me about your experience and how it was helpful for your career? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The programs that you mentioned aren't really a specialty. They help clinicians understand nuances of complicated causes that involve changing the bite, improving esthetics, function, etc. If the dentist is able to execute and, importantly, convince patients they will be able to do more high dollar cases ($10k-50k) as opposed to fixing problems with 1-2 teeth which is the vast majority of dental tx. The courses are a game change for some - but really varies from doctor to doctor. Especially since this work is very costly and largely elective, much of it hinges on case presentation abilities.

Reactions: 3 users