Minimal Hand Function Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beantown Charger

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the minimal hand function in order to become a physician. I have full use of my right hand however my left hand is limited. I can feel and hold things with it. Will this limited function prevent me from entering medical school due to the technical standards? I've heard of doctors who were far more limited then I am.
http://www.newyorkinjurycasesblog.com/uploads/file/2012-04-13 (1).pdf (one handed surgeon)
Born with one hand, TCOM student triumphs over challenges - The DO (able to suture and perform colonoscopy)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the minimal hand function in order to become a physician. I have full use of my right hand however my left hand is limited. I can feel and hold things with it. Will this limited function prevent me from entering medical school due to the technical standards? I've heard of doctors who were far more limited then I am.
http://www.newyorkinjurycasesblog.com/uploads/file/2012-04-13 (1).pdf (one handed surgeon)
Born with one hand, TCOM student triumphs over challenges - The DO (able to suture and perform colonoscopy)
I believe, not that I know for sure, you are fine! If you can kick ass to get this far and become a doctor... then you can kick ass and do most whatever you want! You proved that those with less mobility are able to do it! I wish you the very best!

The Range of specialties runs the full gamut. As a general internist I basically think and keyboard on a computer all day. Like everyone you would choose the specialty which appeals to you. Good luck in your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously I dont know the exact "limitations" you have with your L hand but from your description you might not even need any accommodations. The most technically demanding things I did with my hands in med school were suturing or line placements and even with those its your dominant hand doing the intricate fine motor aspect. The other hand is just retracting/stabilizing something. As a surgery resident a few of us have had finger/hand/wrist injuries during residency and were able to do everything outside of the OR without issue. I personally found that even in the OR my temporary decreased range of motion wasn't as limiting as I had anticipated.

So in summation
- no this isn't going to limit you being accepted to med school.
- the non-academic requirements listed for med school applications has 6 categories, with motor function being only one of those. your situation will require minimal accommodation if any (I'm not trying to downplay your struggles with your condition, I'm more so trying to highlight that the school will have relative ease in making accommodations to ensure your completion of their curriculum)
- inform the disability office of whichever school you attend if you need an accommodation
- having pristine fine motor function of your non dominant hand doesn't have a significant role in 90% of what you do as a med student.
- just like you've learned to accommodate for your hand in everyday life, you'll learn to do the same in any new physical skills you learn in med school

Reactions: 1 users
I met a student during one of my interviews with a prosthetic hand. So I believe you will be fine, though maybe some specialties (like surgery) might not be possible

Obviously I dont know the exact "limitations" you have with your L hand but from your description you might not even need any accommodations. The most technically demanding things I did with my hands in med school were suturing or line placements and even with those its your dominant hand doing the intricate fine motor aspect. The other hand is just retracting/stabilizing something. As a surgery resident a few of us have had finger/hand/wrist injuries during residency and were able to do everything outside of the OR without issue. I personally found that even in the OR my temporary decreased range of motion wasn't as limiting as I had anticipated.

So in summation
- no this isn't going to limit you being accepted to med school.
- the non-academic requirements listed for med school applications has 6 categories, with motor function being only one of those. your situation will require minimal accommodation if any (I'm not trying to downplay your struggles with your condition, I'm more so trying to highlight that the school will have relative ease in making accommodations to ensure your completion of their curriculum)
- inform the disability office of whichever school you attend if you need an accommodation
- having pristine fine motor function of your non dominant hand doesn't have a significant role in 90% of what you do as a med student.
- just like you've learned to accommodate for your hand in everyday life, you'll learn to do the same in any new physical skills you learn in med school
Thanks for your response. I didn't think your were downplaying anything. I just don't want a med school to bend over backwards for me. Can you list a few specialties that would accommodate my condition
Thanks

You should to read the technical requirements for medical students that each and every medical school publishes as a policy on their website. Additionally, you should read the office of disability accommodations. I have linked to Stanford's versions as examples

3.5: Disability Accommodations | MD Program | Stanford Medicine
2.3: School of Medicine, Technical, Non-Academic Standards | MD Program | Stanford Medicine
I've read through Stanford's and many others but they are kind of vague, so I'm not sure if I meet them or not

They virtually all are the same as they are from some AAMC committee recommendation. You are going to have to call the schools on this and ask. I would suggest that calling some schools you are unlikely to apply to for a start. No risk for you to start learning
Will do, thanks.