Minimum and Avg. Step 1 Scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfdevl02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I'm new to this. Just got my Step I board scores today and have no clue what it really means...is there generally a minimum cut-off score for Step 1 to get into Anesthesiology and also, does anyone know the avg score of accepted applicants that apply for an Anesthesiology residency? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

surfdevl02 said:
Hey guys-

I'm new to this. Just got my Step I board scores today and have no clue what it really means...is there generally a minimum cut-off score for Step 1 to get into Anesthesiology and also, does anyone know the avg score of accepted applicants that apply for an Anesthesiology residency? Thanks!

CHeck the faq bout' scores.

If you have >215 and a decent app (letters, rotations, clinicals, no glaring holes/red flags) you should be in pretty good shape....just my take.

VentdependenT said:
CHeck the faq bout' scores.

While I agree those guidelines were useful for us the past few years it seems there has also been an increase in the number of applicants. Just from surveying the med students on my service the general concensus is a larger than usual group applying for anesth. While I know n=1 medical school and the overwhelming p value of my study is impressive perhaps there may be a gradual shift upwards in the Step I scores as more people apply. Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
surfdevl02 said:
Hey guys-

well. i hope there isn't a firm cut-off *everywhere*. i'm not too picky about where i go, and i hope to have a better Step 2 score, but i'm still applying with my weak Step 1 (i cracked 200, by a handful of points). i have some good letters, and an interesting background, so who knows. don't underestimate the power of a strong interview either, provided you get a foot in the door. nobody wants to work with a stiff for 3-4 years, or a pompous braniac, no matter what his score is.

like another poster said, if you have >215, you're better off, and less likely to have to prove yourself academically (i.e. explain your scores in an interview), but it's just one factor among many.

surfdevl02 said:
Hey guys-

You should get above the average to have a good shot.

I was talking to one of the interns here at UVA that will be going up to UPenn for anesthiology and he mentioned that he got like a 250 on Step1 and a 240 something on his Step 2 and he didn't get an interview at Duke, so that kind of floored me although he pretty much got interviews at every other place he applied. He's a really nice guy, has a personality and had connections at his anesthiology department, grades weren't great, but still those scores are impressive so I'm wondering just how hard it is to get an interview at Duke!

Seems almost insurmountable to me. :( With only a 231 on my first step, I gotta get moving for my step 2. Hehe. Man, it never ends! :D Although, he did mention that making those connections w/ people in your field makes a HUGE difference and most likely takes less time than studying for boards, so I guess key message was that time might be better spent trying to get to know the people in your anesthiology department very well. Right now, I think that it might possibly be in mid swing and things are getting more and more competitive.

Peace,
John H.

rufio173 said:
I was talking to one of the interns here at UVA that will be going up to UPenn for anesthiology and he mentioned that he got like a 250 on Step1 and a 240 something on his Step 2 and he didn't get an interview at Duke, so that kind of floored me although he pretty much got interviews at every other place he applied. He's a really nice guy, has a personality and had connections at his anesthiology department, grades weren't great, but still those scores are impressive so I'm wondering just how hard it is to get an interview at Duke!

Seems almost insurmountable to me. :( With only a 231 on my first step, I gotta get moving for my step 2. Hehe. Man, it never ends! :D Although, he did mention that making those connections w/ people in your field makes a HUGE difference and most likely takes less time than studying for boards, so I guess key message was that time might be better spent trying to get to know the people in your anesthiology department very well. Right now, I think that it might possibly be in mid swing and things are getting more and more competitive.

Peace,
John H.

I have a friend who interviewed at Duke with a 228. average grades at UT southwestern.

rufio173 said:

Peace,
John H.

If you aren't happy with a 231 step 1 for anesthesiology you are misconstruing some information about board scores.

Thanks for the additional info. guys. :) It just surprised me a little when he said that, but I guess he just got unlucky. I'm not so worried about it though as there are 2 other good schools down there to which I can apply. Hehe I should not worry about it so much.

Peace,
John H.

Getting interviews in anesthesia is an interesting process. You never know what the interview people will use to give you or not give you an interview. Some people will interview at some of the best programs out there and get turned down by programs that aren't nearly as strong. You just never know. Apply to places you like and see where the chips fall. You may be surprised at the results. Good luck.