Minimum Credit Score for Private Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mochafreak

registered quaffer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone know what the minimum credit score is for getting private loans (for a private dental school) without needing a co-signer?

Members don't see this ad.

Talking to my Fin-Aid office, I understand you need to have >=700, to obtain private loan w/o co-sign.
Good luck.

Doc2B-Finally said:
Talking to my Fin-Aid office, I understand you need to have >=700, to obtain private loan w/o co-sign.
Good luck.

Thanks, that's what I thought I read last year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc2B-Finally said:
Good luck.

I don't think you need > or = 700 FICO to get a private loan without a co-signer. Your FICO score among other things will qualify you to get better rates. Someone who has a 625 will more than likely get a higher interest rate than someone who has a 775.

I don't think my FICO was ever > 700, and I was able to qualify for quite a few private loans while in med school.

MEFA's (Massachusetts) FICO cutoff is 600.

ockhamsRzr said:
MEFA's (Massachusetts) FICO cutoff is 600.

That sounds more reasonable, you can get a no questions asked mortgage at the good rate with a 620, I can't imagine you'd need a 700 to get a school loan, the equity is your career.

mendel121 said:
That sounds more reasonable, you can get a no questions asked mortgage at the good rate with a 620, I can't imagine you'd need a 700 to get a school loan, the equity is your career.

Some degrees have very little equity (or little certain equity for that matter), even professional educations are useless unless you get licensed.

Homes already built have a more predictable future value.

mendel121 said:
Eh, 620 with conditions though.

In med school I know people with 620 scores that got loans. Post bacc I know probably around 650-675 is the cut off without having a rate of like 11%.

I'm in post-bacc with a private loan around 9% with a credit score around 700. :( Also depends on the lender. The ones with better rates for undergrad require a cosigner. With med school, your credit may go down but you can get a fixed rate (usually) at a higher rate (8-10%). At least from what I've heard and seen from those who needed private loans!