minimum LoRs - ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justapremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have applicants been successful with the minimum number of LoR's? I only have 3 academic professors (science + nonscience) and 1 prehealth advisor. I don't really have anyone from my EC's who could speak well on my behalf. Not that there's anything I can do about it now, but I'm wondering if this would make my application weak...

Well, though, I could ask someone that I've worked with for my music EC's. I did put weight on my musical activities in the PS... But it's already the end of May... Would that add much more credibility to my app though? It's not necessarily my research supervisor or an MD...

Members don't see this ad.

In circumstances like this, the emphasis is on quality, not quantity. Getting an LOR from an MD is bound to be positive; I'm sure adcoms see a bunch of Shadowed MD LOR's that are all positive, but few that really stand out for the applicant. If you think your letters are strong, then it is probably at a greater net yield then the LOR's of a number of other applicants who have 5+ generic ones. If you have the shadowing experience, the research experience, and the EC experience, and if all of this is conveyed in your premed advisor LOR, then it should be okay.

If you think you can get one from a Music Professor soon, then do it; you have to submit it around the end of June anyway. If not, then time limitations dictate that you focus on the supplemental applications and getting your file completed.

3 letters should be fine for 95% of schools...i think there are a couple schools were you wont be able to apply to...but if its 3 quality letters than no prob.

Many schools just accept 1 pre-med committee letter, right? I think if there is no committee an applicant is just supposed to send 3-4 LORs, usually with 2 of them being from science professors.