You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Minimum MCAT score for each section
Started by R0h
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
How brutal is the CARS score?????
121.. I am assuming MD program is out of my reach 🙁 To be honest, I am not even sure if I have shot in DO schools..How brutal is the CARS score?????
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How brutal is the CARS score?????
Depending on what schools you apply to and if you're a URM or not, you still have a shot for some MD and DO schools depending on your ECs.
Hijack note: @Goro has a new cat picture!!!!!!

Regardless of the scale being used, the minimum cutoff score can be found by using the so-called Rule of Medians: the cutoff is usually the median subsection score. What does this mean? For the old MCAT where the subsection score ranged from 1-15, the median subsection is an 8. So that would be the cutoff and anything lower may be heading the danger zone.
For the new MCAT, the subsection score ranges from 118-132, so the median is 125. Below a 125 would be a danger zone.
To decide whether to retake, if your subsection is less than median - 1, you should plan on retaking to avoid being screened out by MD schools. I don't know how DO schools do it but i'd guess it's something similar.
For the new MCAT, the subsection score ranges from 118-132, so the median is 125. Below a 125 would be a danger zone.
To decide whether to retake, if your subsection is less than median - 1, you should plan on retaking to avoid being screened out by MD schools. I don't know how DO schools do it but i'd guess it's something similar.
Depending on what schools you apply to and if you're a URM or not, you still have a shot for some MD and DO schools depending on your ECs.
Hijack note: @Goro has a new cat picture!!!!!!![]()
I do not have great specs like some people in SDN. My GPA in my second undergrad is 3.88, but 3.00 if I add the courses I took in my first undergrad. Moreover, I will be considered as out-of-state or international candidates 🙁
I have clinical exposures including shadowing family physicians and a surgeon. Hours contributed as a volunteer and research assistant are over 100 hours each.
I will be able to obtain reference letters from physicians and professors. That is about it..
For now, I need a realistic perspective for my application. Is it even worth applying to MD programs?
Regardless of the scale being used, the minimum cutoff score can be found by using the so-called Rule of Medians: the cutoff is usually the median subsection score. What does this mean? For the old MCAT where the subsection score ranged from 1-15, the median subsection is an 8. So that would be the cutoff and anything lower may be heading the danger zone.
For the new MCAT, the subsection score ranges from 118-132, so the median is 125. Below a 125 would be a danger zone.
To decide whether to retake, if your subsection is less than median - 1, you should plan on retaking to avoid being screened out by MD schools. I don't know how DO schools do it but i'd guess it's something similar.
Thank you for the advice.
I think that a 121 will be lethal for all MD and DO.
121.. I am assuming MD program is out of my reach 🙁 To be honest, I am not even sure if I have shot in DO schools..
I received a 123 in CARS. 509 Total (129,123,128,129).
Any advice?
Same here, I got a 128/123/127/129 = 507 and I am terrified that I'm going to be screened out everywhere for MD.
I looked thru MSAR and barely any schools have matriculants that had a 7 in verbal....
I received a 123 in CARS. 509 Total (129,123,128,129).
Any advice?
Same here, I got a 128/123/127/129 = 507 and I am terrified that I'm going to be screened out everywhere for MD.
I looked thru MSAR and barely any schools have matriculants that had a 7 in verbal....
Unfortunately, a 123 is below the cutoff line. A retake is probably in order for US MD schools unless you are URM + ESL. It's a bit risky though since you have essentially a 30 on the old score, so it's a difficult situation. @Goro and @gyngyn can verify this.
Combined with international status, this is a non-starter for MD.Unfortunately, a 123 is below the cutoff line. A retake is probably in order for US MD schools unless you are URM + ESL. It's a bit risky though since you have essentially a 30 on the old score, so it's a difficult situation. @Goro and @gyngyn can verify this.
I was responding to OP.I'm not an international applicant
This might be a good time for your own thread, no?
It gets confusing...
There are states and situations where it could work.What is your honest opinion on a 509 total. 123 CARS
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 772
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E
- Poll
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 768
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 829