Minimum Score for a 10 on Each of the Three Multiple Choice Sections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pride4jc727

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has an approximation of the raw score needed to get a 10 on each of the physical science, verbal, and biology sections of the MCAT. How does the Writing score work out?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has an approximation of the raw score needed to get a 10 on each of the physical science, verbal, and biology sections of the MCAT. How does the Writing score work out?

Thanks.

It varies a lot depending on the difficulty of the test questions. There's no way to know for sure. I would shoot for 75% correct on the science sections and 85% correct on verbal though to be safe.

As far as the writing score, each sample is graded independently on a six point scale. They then combine the scores from each sample to give a composite Writing Sample score, which is then converted to the alphabetical, J to T scale.

2 - J
3 - K
4 - L
5 - M
6 - N
7 - O
8 - P
9 - Q
10 - R
11 - S
12 - T

30/40 for the VR sections and 40/52 for the PS/BS section seems to be a 10.... but that's a rigid scale on the aamcs so the actual curve might more or less forgiving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Thanks.

To get the best estimate, I'd recommend opening up and account on www.e-mcat.com, which is free registration. They have score conversion charts for all the practice tests they offer, both paper and CBT. That'd be the best the closest to the actual, I guess. The raw scores slightly vary for each score, but its, nonetheless, a better estimate.

it really depends on how previous exam takers performed on the given questions .. i think i read that they generate a curve by comparing your score with a large sample pool of raw scores from previous administrations.