Minnesota Vet School Chances

Started by Mollyj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mollyj

It's a waiting game...
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I'm new to the forum and just wanted some advice.

I am in the process of applying to vet school for 2011 admission. I am from California, but my dream school is Minnesota. I want to go in for poultry medicine (one of the more understaffed veterinary positions). I just graduated from the University of California, Davis with an Animal Science Bachelors degree with a focus in Avian Science. I did really well the last few years, but freshmen year I had a horrible roommate so my gpa was in the 2.7 or 2.8. That coupled with the fact that I got a c- in one of the organic chemistry classes I took I am a little nervous about my chances.

I feel I should clarify the c-. During that time my dad was having heart surgery and I wanted to spend time with him. Since I did not get a D I could not retake the class, but he next quarter I got a B in the next class of the series.

Prerequisite gpa for MN (if I calculated it correctly) 3.2

Last 60 quarter units: 3.68

Cumulative GPA: 3.36

GRE: Quantitative: 750
Verbal: 530
Writing: 4.5

I have about 330 hours of Avian experience (mostly parrot research as I did not know what birds I wanted to specialize in at first. There is also bird-of-prey and poultry experience there)

I have about 120 hours of large animal experience

Currently I am working for a vet in my home town and average 25 hours of experience every week and was thinking of volunteering at another vet to boost those hours on my day off.

Does anyone believe I have a chance at my dream school?😳
 
Here are the stats for the incoming 2010 class:

Mean GPA: 3.58
Range: 2.65-4.0
Mid 50%: 3.42-3.74

Mean GPA/Most Recent 45 Semester Hours: 3.71
Full Range: 3.0-4.0
Mid 50%: 3.58-3.84

Mean GRE Combined Score (Verbal & Quantitative): 1190
Mean Verbal: 530
Mid 50% Verbal: 460-490
Mean Quantitative: 600
Mid 50% Quantitative: 620-710

I would definitely call Minnesota and ask about the C-. Hope this helps. 🙂
 
The abolsute first thing you need to check is if Minnesota will accept your C- in organic chemistry - many schools will not. If you current school will not let you re-take it, find somewhere else to do so if you really want to go to Minnesota. Also, I think having more experience hours will help your application anywhere. I'm not saying you can't get in, but there are a few things to consider first 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, Italia, where did you find our stats? I haven't seen them anywhere yet. 🙂

Mollyj, it sounds like your C- was in the first part of O-Chem? Minnesota only technically requires one semester or two quarters, so you are likely going to have to retake it somewhere. However, I would definitely call the school to find out.

If your other chem grades are good and you do well in the retake, it will probably be ok. I'd say it's definitely worth applying if you can be sure you meet the O-Chem requirements. It's hard to say for sure based on anyone's stats, but yours look competitive enough to possibly make the first cut, and after that, it is all about the interview (which primarily assesses people skills), your personal statement and your eLORs. If those are all strong, you should have a good chance, I think.

I have a friend who just finished her first year who is certain she wanted to focus on companion birds. Minnesota seemed ok with that, but they asked her a couple times in her interview whether she would consider poultry, so it sounds like they would be even more interested in that.

Good luck!
 
Hey, Italia, where did you find our stats? I haven't seen them anywhere yet. 🙂

Parietal~They are listed under the prospective students -->profile of successful applicants. I can't believe I knew something before you did. 😀
Why can't I remember how to "quote"?????? My synapses must be mis-firing.

I definitely agree about showing an interest in poultry. That would definitely set you apart.
 
It was actually the second part of a three part series. I got a B in 118A the C- in 118B and a B in 118C. So based on that I have two quarters of Bs and the one lab they require (118 B and C have LONG labs). I checked their website and it didn't say anything about not accepting grades bellow Cs so I think I am ok there.

I am trying to make it clear in my personal statement that I am VERY interested in poultry. Hopefully they understand that and see the improvements in my grades. :xf:
 
Call and ask to make sure the C- is okay. The last thing you want is a nasty surprise, and as of now you still have the opportunity to retake the class.
 
The C- might not matter if it's in the second semester of O Chem. I only took one semester of O Chem and the lab, and I was accepted to Minnesota c/o 2014. They technically only require that you take one semester of it.
 
They weren't in so I e-mailed the DVM program asking about my second quarter of ochem. I am on the quarter system so as it stands:

118A(4 quarter units) lecture+ discussion: I got a B
118B(4 quarter units) lecture+lab: I got a C-
118C(4 quarter units) lecture+lab: I got a B

Then I got As in both of my 5 unit BioChem classes.
 
They weren't in so I e-mailed the DVM program asking about my second quarter of ochem. I am on the quarter system so as it stands:

118A(4 quarter units) lecture+ discussion: I got a B
118B(4 quarter units) lecture+lab: I got a C-
118C(4 quarter units) lecture+lab: I got a B

Then I got As in both of my 5 unit BioChem classes.

Sorry, I missed that you're on the quarter system! I'm not too sure how that works, so it's probably a good thing that you e-mailed them. They always answered my questions pretty quickly, so you shouldn't have to wait too long.
 
Still waiting for the e-mail back. I am hoping they will say it's ok because I have basically filled the requirements of two quarters and one lab with 118A and C.
 
Hey, Italia, where did you find our stats? I haven't seen them anywhere yet. 🙂

Parietal~They are listed under the prospective students -->profile of successful applicants. I can't believe I knew something before you did. 😀

Weird. All I can see there are the 2009 class stats. And they definitely aren't the same as the ones you posted. I tried reloading and everything. 😕 So strange.

Edited to add: Figured it out. I always use a bookmark to go to the CVM page. Apparently, they have a whole new site now with a slightly different address. (New: http://www.cvm.umn.edu/education/prospective/Profile/home.html rather than Old: http://www.cvm.umn.edu/edu/prospective/home.html) So weird!

Why can't I remember how to "quote"?????? My synapses must be mis-firing.

Just respond with the Quote button rather than the regular one. 🙂
 
Last edited: