futuredruggist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2006
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Does anyone know much about Minocycline-induced autoimmune disease, such as incidence, risk factors, etc?

I know that lupus and arthritis have been seen in people who used Minocycline for several years.

I have already done some literature searches and didn't find much in depth. I'm asking if anyone has first-hand experience with this.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status (Visible)
No first hand experience since minocycline isn't often used but there are many documented cases of Minocycline induced Lupus and/or auto immune hepatitis... there are tons of information and case studies on the net.

One of the key traits of a sucessful pharmacist is the ability to find information.

futuredruggist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2006
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Thanks for the response.

My understanding is that Minocycline is in fact very commonly used as an acne treatment. Also, I know these autoimmune conditions have been mainly observed in young females. But the articles I've found so far are at least a few years old, so I'm still looking for the most current info.

About the Ads

Aznfarmerboi

15+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I think a few years old article is still good since it is not a brand new drug or anything. I dont have thomsonhc or lex on me so i cant help you right now.

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
Personally, I find minocycline the most commonly prescribed tetracycline-type antibiotic prescribed on an outpt basis.

Look at this article & it will provide more references:

"Minocycline Induced Autoimmune Hepatitis & Subsequent Cirrhosis"
Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition
42(2):232-235, Feb 2006

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.