Minocycline-induced autoimmune disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredruggist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about Minocycline-induced autoimmune disease, such as incidence, risk factors, etc?

I know that lupus and arthritis have been seen in people who used Minocycline for several years.

I have already done some literature searches and didn't find much in depth. I'm asking if anyone has first-hand experience with this.

Members don't see this ad.

No first hand experience since minocycline isn't often used but there are many documented cases of Minocycline induced Lupus and/or auto immune hepatitis... there are tons of information and case studies on the net.

One of the key traits of a sucessful pharmacist is the ability to find information.

Thanks for the response.

My understanding is that Minocycline is in fact very commonly used as an acne treatment. Also, I know these autoimmune conditions have been mainly observed in young females. But the articles I've found so far are at least a few years old, so I'm still looking for the most current info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a few years old article is still good since it is not a brand new drug or anything. I dont have thomsonhc or lex on me so i cant help you right now.

One of the key traits of a sucessful pharmacist is the ability to find information.

you don't always have to know the answers, but you should always know where to look:)

Personally, I find minocycline the most commonly prescribed tetracycline-type antibiotic prescribed on an outpt basis.

Look at this article & it will provide more references:

"Minocycline Induced Autoimmune Hepatitis & Subsequent Cirrhosis"
Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition
42(2):232-235, Feb 2006