Minocycline-induced autoimmune disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuredruggist

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know much about Minocycline-induced autoimmune disease, such as incidence, risk factors, etc?

I know that lupus and arthritis have been seen in people who used Minocycline for several years.

I have already done some literature searches and didn't find much in depth. I'm asking if anyone has first-hand experience with this.
 
No first hand experience since minocycline isn't often used but there are many documented cases of Minocycline induced Lupus and/or auto immune hepatitis... there are tons of information and case studies on the net.

One of the key traits of a sucessful pharmacist is the ability to find information.
 
Thanks for the response.

My understanding is that Minocycline is in fact very commonly used as an acne treatment. Also, I know these autoimmune conditions have been mainly observed in young females. But the articles I've found so far are at least a few years old, so I'm still looking for the most current info.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think a few years old article is still good since it is not a brand new drug or anything. I dont have thomsonhc or lex on me so i cant help you right now.
 
Personally, I find minocycline the most commonly prescribed tetracycline-type antibiotic prescribed on an outpt basis.

Look at this article & it will provide more references:

"Minocycline Induced Autoimmune Hepatitis & Subsequent Cirrhosis"
Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition
42(2):232-235, Feb 2006