Minor in Wildlife Conservation?

Started by marie3459
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

marie3459

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a sophomore pre-vet major interested in becoming a zoo vet. First off, if anyone reading this is a zoo veterinarian, I would love to hear about where you work/how you like your job/what a typical day is like/etc. I worked as a zookeeper over the summer and was an animal care intern for 2 years before that, so my heart is pretty much set on working with exotics (specifically primates!!). But anyways, my question is whether or not I should go for a minor in wildlife conservation along with my pre-vet medicine major. I've been struggling with this decision for about a year now...It would require taking some winter/summer classes and working my butt off even more than I am currently, but I don't know if it would be worth it or not. Does a minor really do anything for you in the long haul--in terms of getting a job and/or getting into vet school? To any of you zoo vets out there, do you think it would help me with the zoo vet track? Any comments/responses would be greatly appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Not a zoo vet at the moment, but I've had the same dilemma in the past. What you need to realize is as a zoo veterinarian, your day to day job will be clinical. The conservation side of zoos is their breeding programs/species survival, providing funds and/or personnel to conservation programs, and occasionally reintroducing animals. Many zoos will send their veterinarians or keepers into the field to assist or teach other professionals. I've seen programs involving animal health checks and diet recommendations for elephants to large scale flamingo catch-ups for research. A zoo looking for a veterinarian will be concerned with you're clinical skills first, then maybe you conservation potential.

If I were you I'd look at every single course and, if you can, skim over the syllabi. When I looked into the wildlife major at my university I realized it had quite a few courses I didn't want to take and/or that were useless to me. Have you considered becoming a biology major? I found that many of the courses I would have wanted to take I could count towards my bio major anyway, plus all of my math, chem, microbiology ect was covered as well. Then I could take the few courses that I thought were useful without worrying about the major/minor in wildlife.

Ornithology, mammology, herptology, ect could be really useful if you manage to retain the information in the long run. Also, if you have a passion for wildlife, you might find many of the courses interesting, which goes a long way in preventing burn out. Personally, I hate plants, so plant identification, botany, plant toxicology, and even soil science would make we want to gouge out my eyes. In the end I would just evaluate what the course offers you as person or you as a future veterinarian. I doubt when you apply for a job a highering committee will be incredibly impressed with an undergraduate minor. I personally think it's like a veterinary school being impressed by you're course selection in high school; I'd imagine they'd only pay attention to a masters or PhD. Have you tried getting in contact with the currator or veterinarian at you're last job? They can provide a lot more insight than anyone on here can. Even if yours was a small zoo, they'll know people and how the politics work, its a really small world out there 🙄.
 
I'm a sophomore pre-vet major at University of Delaware interested in becoming a zoo vet. First off, if anyone reading this is a zoo veterinarian, I would love to hear about where you work/how you like your job/what a typical day is like/etc. I worked as a zookeeper over the summer and was an animal care intern for 2 years before that, so my heart is pretty much set on working with exotics (specifically primates!!). But anyways, my question is whether or not I should go for a minor in wildlife conservation along with my pre-vet medicine major. I've been struggling with this decision for about a year now...It would require taking some winter/summer classes and working my butt off even more than I am currently, but I don't know if it would be worth it or not. Does a minor really do anything for you in the long haul--in terms of getting a job and/or getting into vet school? To any of you zoo vets out there, do you think it would help me with the zoo vet track? Any comments/responses would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think that minor would help set you up for vet school, really, but I think it could be well worth doing if it's in an area of interest and and area that you plan to incorporate into your career.

I could see some pretty interesting job prospects for a dvm with a background in wildlife conservation. Definitely a narrow niche that's probably hard to get into, but some very cool jobs nevertheless.

So I think the question to ask yourself is why you're doing it. It probably won't play a major role (at least, not enough to warrant the cost/time/effort) in getting into vet school if your application is otherwise normal/strong. But if you're doing it for the long-term career opportunity ... then sure.

Caveat: I'm not in zoo or wildlife medicine. At all. Remotely.