Minoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twilson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am making up for a bad freshman year and will be doing my last 3 semesters 18-19 hours each..I am pursuing a history minor mostly because I only need 3 more classes since I am an ex-History Major. I dont need a minor but i still really like history, the problem is I am getting into my more serious and difficult psychology courses and I have to take upper level history classes (such as the history course i am taking next semester is with a graduate level Professor and there r 8 books required for the course)..I am afraid I will burn myself out before i even get to graduate school but a minor would help me to get those filler classes required for the 128 credits to graduate:scared:

I am torn between continuing with the history minor idea and taking difficult upper level classes that will take away my concentration on my psych classes or just taking random low level courses which will bore me to tears..I am hoping to get my MSW after graduationand I am wondering if i should continue with the minor because i feel it does add to my education by learning different social and economic histories or should i ditch it and concentrate on my core psychology classes?:confused:

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am making up for a bad freshman year and will be doing my last 3 semesters 18-19 hours each..I am pursuing a history minor mostly because I only need 3 more classes since I am an ex-History Major. I dont need a minor but i still really like history, the problem is I am getting into my more serious and difficult psychology courses and I have to take upper level history classes (such as the history course i am taking next semester is with a graduate level Professor and there r 8 books required for the course)..I am afraid I will burn myself out before i even get to graduate school but a minor would help me to get those filler classes required for the 128 credits to graduate:scared:

I am torn between continuing with the history minor idea and taking difficult upper level classes that will take away my concentration on my psych classes or just taking random low level courses which will bore me to tears..I am hoping to get my MSW after graduationand I am wondering if i should continue with the minor because i feel it does add to my education by learning different social and economic histories or should i ditch it and concentrate on my core psychology classes?:confused:

Thanks

Why do you even need a minor? I'd use those spots to take more psychology classes. That's just me... though...

However, I respect and understanding wanting to pursue your area of interest. it's not an easy decision... but consider this... if you truly enjoy history, then let it be a lifelong learning pursuit... I also enjoy it but did not take a single history class in college! I placed out with several AP credits and have supplemented my love for the field with documentaries, travel, exhibits, etc... MUCH BETTER THAN CLASS ANYWAY, in my opinion

Good luck with your decision.

PS, I don't see how having a history minor would impact your MSW qualifications.

I would take whatever interests you the most, whether psych, history, or classes in other fields. other than getting the basic prereqs for an msw programs (all of which you should have gotten from your psych major), it won't matter to the programs if you have a minor. use your remaining courses to take fun classes to finish out your bachelors and consider yourself lucky to have the opportunity to take them!

I guess i am finding it hard to completely let go of my history studies, so i am kinda making excuses..I will probably let go of the minor after next semester.. I want to now but i already have signed up for classes I have and my books r ordered and paid..
I mostly enjoyed the professor's different takes on what we just read, and sometimes their studies enrich what i am learning, more than the actual studying portion:p

Thank you Wanna :)