This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellusflores

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I’m currently an upper sophomore aiming for a B.S. in psychology and a minor in neuroscience- with the rate of the classes that I’m taking, I could be done with everything (in addition to my college’s general ed requirements) by the end of junior year.
The terms of my scholarship do not allow me to graduate early- my question is, would it be better to add another minor in cognitive science (I thought it was interesting and related to my general field) or should I just continue to take more advanced psych classes? My plans after graduation is to get an entry level job and obtain a phD in order to do research in neuroscience, so what do you think would potentially look better?
Any input would be greatly appreciated- thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Does your university let you do research for credit? I was in a similar situation, and instead of taking extra classes I joined a second lab.

Hello!
I’m currently an upper sophomore aiming for a B.S. in psychology and a minor in neuroscience- with the rate of the classes that I’m taking, I could be done with everything (in addition to my college’s general ed requirements) by the end of junior year.
The terms of my scholarship do not allow me to graduate early- my question is, would it be better to add another minor in cognitive science (I thought it was interesting and related to my general field) or should I just continue to take more advanced psych classes? My plans after graduation is to get an entry level job and obtain a phD in order to do research in neuroscience, so what do you think would potentially look better?
Any input would be greatly appreciated- thank you in advance!
Anything that would let you do more research. Hell, maybe even just take a class with a professor doing research in your area(s) of interest so that you might ingratiate yourself enough to work in their lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Research if you can for credit
2. Classes with a prof who has a similar interest if available - helps build advanced knowledge
3. Advanced stats classes to aid your research skills
4. Extra neuro/anatomy will make you a strong neuro psych practitioner down the road

No one cares about your minor with a PhD. Or your major.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree w/ the above advice to get more research experience if possible. Take an advanced stats or experimental design course too if possible.

Reactions: 1 user