Minorities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about persians (I am not persian). Are they considered White or Asian? My coworker (persian) was looking at DAT and aadsas application, it does not give him an option of being "others" or "persian" so he had to put himself as "white" It was funny for a second, but not really...

Members don't see this ad.

Asians are the majority...in the world.

Maybe that's why :idea:

What about persians (I am not persian). Are they considered White or Asian? My coworker (persian) was looking at DAT and aadsas application, it does not give him an option of being "others" or "persian" so he had to put himself as "white" It was funny for a second, but not really...

Why is this so surprising, considering Persians are decendants of Aryan tribes that migrated from Central Asia to what's now Iran 4,000 years ago? How do you actually define "white"?

Members don't see this ad :)
what about asians whites blacks that are poor and when i mean poor i mean that they are getting pell grants and stuff.....are those kids able to be listed as underrepresented? is there some1 u can put that on DAT i know it sounds like a stupid question but just curious

Asians are the majority...in the world.

Maybe that's why :idea:

not all Asians are a like just to let you know. Some asians groups have been through more difficult times then overs. For instance, Hmongs are not the majority of "Asians" and Laos as well. However, the majority such as Chinese, Korean, and Japanese have had more oppurtunities available to them.

what about asians whites blacks that are poor and when i mean poor i mean that they are getting pell grants and stuff.....are those kids able to be listed as underrepresented? is there some1 u can put that on DAT i know it sounds like a stupid question but just curious

Underrepresented status is based on race. How much money you/your parents make is pretty much irrevelent.

not all Asians are a like just to let you know. Some asians groups have been through more difficult times then overs. For instance, Hmongs are not the majority of "Asians" and Laos as well. However, the majority such as Chinese, Korean, and Japanese have had more oppurtunities available to them.

Hey man, I totally agree. But do you think all "white" people are the same? It's equally ridiculous to generalize people from oh, around 30 countries into one category based on the color of their skin and not give them the special consideration given to people of other skin colors.

A Bosnian refugee would be at a disadvantage to a rich African American just because he's "white". Chew on that.

The key distinction here that people are not understanding is that some preference is given to underrepresented minorities. Read it again. Underrepresented. I'll repeat it one more time. Underrepresented. The reason they're getting an advantage is not because they are minorities in the US census, it's because for some reason or another, there are very of them in the healthcare professions.

For whatever reason, there is an abundance of asians in the healtcare professions, so theres no social reason to relax academic standards for them. The Hmong/Laos thing is a different issue though, IMHO.

The key distinction here that people are not understanding is that some preference is given to underrepresented minorities. Read it again. Underrepresented. I'll repeat it one more time. Underrepresented. The reason they're getting an advantage is not because they are minorities in the US census, it's because for some reason or another, there are very of them in the healthcare professions.

For whatever reason, there is an abundance of asians in the healtcare professions, so theres no social reason to relax academic standards for them. The Hmong/Laos thing is a different issue though, IMHO.

Armorshell is right! The hope in some instances also is that these people will be more likely to set up city practices since underrepresented minorities are often inner city applicants. There are some black people who want a black dentist just the same for whites. Just the way it often works. Nothing wrong with seeing a clinician that has more in common and a better understanding of you and your culture.