Minority and other scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

+ve

Keep Ur Head Up!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm a black female living in Baltimore and have been accepted to 2 schools: Virginia Commonwealth University VCU-MCV in Richmond and University of Kansas in Kansas city, Kansas. VCU is my top choice and I was 100% sure I'll be going to VCU until Kansas offered me a scholarship to cover OOS tuition, fees and books ~ $45,000. That's a lot of money and everyone is telling me I'd be stupid to turn down a partial full ride, even a doctor I work with.

While the prospect of graduating with much less debt from 4 years of living expenses is very enticing, I'm not that excited about UKansas or the idea of living in kansas city/midwest. It's a good school that I'll attend if I had no other more desirable alternative. I'm currently waiting to receive VCU's financial aid award letter to see if they'll offer me any scholarship. I called both the minority office and financial aid office and hinted at my situation.

In the meantime, I'm also looking for outside scholarships to apply for, which would make my decision and life a lot easier. I really like VCU but can't say for sure that I'll go there if I don't get much from them, and that's frustrating. Do you guys know of any grants/scholarships out there that I may be able to get? I've already searched fastweb and I'm working on essays for a few scholarships (not much money though = or < $5,000). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In the meantime, I'm also looking for outside scholarships to apply for, which would make my decision and life a lot easier. I really like VCU but can't say for sure that I'll go there if I don't get much from them, and that's frustrating. Do you guys know of any grants/scholarships out there that I may be able to get? I've already searched fastweb and I'm working on essays for a few scholarships (not much money though = or < $5,000). Thanks.

Check each and every medical school's website and under financial aid information you should see a listing of outside scholarship sources.

Another thought is that you could decide to go to XYZ medical school with no money in hand and get the best grades possible (which you would need to do anyway to keep any scholarship that you would have been awarded) and secure scholarships going forward. In this case only your 1st year would be funded by loan money to pay for a large percentage of your cost of attendance.

It is another thought.

Then consider too, if those schools are in states where it is relatively easy to establish residency, then you could qualify for other funding sources which are not currently applicable/available to you.

Good luck!!!:luck:

Hey guys,
I'm a black female living in Baltimore and have been accepted to 2 schools: Virginia Commonwealth University VCU-MCV in Richmond and University of Kansas in Kansas city, Kansas. VCU is my top choice and I was 100% sure I'll be going to VCU until Kansas offered me a scholarship to cover OOS tuition, fees and books ~ $45,000. That's a lot of money and everyone is telling me I'd be stupid to turn down a partial full ride, even a doctor I work with.

While the prospect of graduating with much less debt from 4 years of living expenses is very enticing, I'm not that excited about UKansas or the idea of living in kansas city/midwest. It's a good school that I'll attend if I had no other more desirable alternative. I'm currently waiting to receive VCU's financial aid award letter to see if they'll offer me any scholarship. I called both the minority office and financial aid office and hinted at my situation.

I would recommend that you be very forthright with VCU. (You should of course be polite and not obnoxious!) Let them know that you would prefer to attend their school, but financial issues are very important to you. Another school has given you a financial aid award that makes it difficult for you to justify turning them down for VCU. Is there anything at all they (VCU) can do to help you?

They may not do anything (or they may not do enough), but if you don't ask, they might not do anything because of not knowing about your dilemma. And if VCU wants you to come and is aware that finances are the main obstacle in your way, they may match Kansas. :luck: to you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
+ve,
I am also a black female that got accepted into VCU. I am also having second thoughts about attending. My reservation is about the environment, I'm used to being around more black people than I saw on the interview... anyway enough about that. When are they supposed to be sending out the financial aid packages??

+ve,
I am also a black female that got accepted into VCU. I am also having second thoughts about attending. My reservation is about the environment, I'm used to being around more black people than I saw on the interview... anyway enough about that. When are they supposed to be sending out the financial aid packages??

Richmond is a city that enjoys a majority African-American population headed by a vibrant and brilliant African-American mayor (former Va govenor L.Douglas Wilder).

Most of your patients at VCU will be underserved and African-American. They totally appreciate you being their physician and being there for them. While no medical school in Virginia is going to have a majority of African-American students, Richmond is one city that has a great "soul" and excitement.

The material to be mastered, the board exams to be taken and the skills that you will need to learn to become an excellent physician do not know the color of the medical student. VCU will provide an excellent opportunity for you to learn medicine in a great city where you can find fellowship. You will find plenty of folks (of color) to socialize with and select as mentors including Louis Sullivan who has just joined the Department of Internal Medicine.

VCU was my first choice back when I was accepted. I ended up choosing Howard over VCU because I was offered a full-ride scholarship that paid for my four years of medical school. VCU didn't offer me quite as much money. That being said, it is looking like I will be faculty there (AA female) so you can add one more person to that environment. Richmond has everything that I love about patient care and nothing that I don't. The facilites are off the scale.

Thanks for your reassurance. I went to an HBCU for undergrad and I know I may need to venture off to another type of school but I am just nervous. I'm a Cali girl and Virginia is a long ways away. I'll be ok though, thanks...

Thanks for your reassurance. I went to an HBCU for undergrad and I know I may need to venture off to another type of school but I am just nervous. I'm a Cali girl and Virginia is a long ways away. I'll be ok though, thanks...

Hey about your earlier post, I can understand your feelings because I live in Baltimore and also went to an HBCU, but you don't have to worry about that in Richmond. Like njbmd said, Richmond population is actually majority black and yes it's Virginia, but it's not as bad as you think. Go to www.census.gov, click on united states census 2000, then state & county quickfacts, look up virginia and then under virginia cities, select richmond. You can see that there's some diversity going on in Richmond.

The fact that Richmond was the capital of the confederacy and the state of Virginia up until recently still banned interracial marriages was a bit of a turn off for me, but I won't make that too much of an issue-- I know the history and will leave it at that for now, at least where med school is concerned. Virginia maybe be more conservative and quite unlike California but not many places are, except perhaps NewYork and Florida.

What would you do then if you were in my shoes, on the brink of potentially turning down VCU and going off to the midwest to attend University of Kansas mainly because of the scholarship they've offered me. Kansas city where the school itself is located is actually pretty diverse with a large black and hispanic population, but the state of Kansas is not. Venture out into rural kansas where there's great need for primary care and you begin to feel very alone. Now, that's my concern because if I end up going there, for my rotations, I might be sent over to wichita or other smaller towns and rural areas where there's little diversity and perhaps a great deal of ignorance. I was the only black person during my interview and with the exception of one hispanic girl, the rest were whites mainly from small towns. I swear some were looking at me as if they'd never seen a black person before. Maybe I was just very self-conscious but I certainly felt that way and am still not sure how well I'll fit in with the rest of the class should I decide to go there. I actually don't mind being in small towns or rural areas but the demographic is very important to me-- I like to be comfortable and be around "progressive" people regardless of their race/ethnicity.

That being said, you are going into a white profession-- this may be nerve wrecking especially for those of us who are used to being in predominantly black environments, but we just have to get used to it. I think njbmd is right about the fact that the material to be mastered, the board exams to be taken and the skills that you will need to learn to become an excellent physician do not know the color of the medical student. Med school is hard and everyone must work hard, however, I do see how an intolerant unsupportive atmosphere could affect one's performance. Dealing with anxiety, biases, low expectations etc can add unnecessary stress. That's when you need a tough skin and support from the few other minority students if any.

Enough of my ramblings-- you get my point extremefocus, I'm sure you'll be fine at VCU. That's my top choice and I hope to God they make it possible for me to go there. Thank you all for your input. Take care.

Hey about your earlier post, I can understand your feelings because I live in Baltimore and also went to an HBCU, but you don't have to worry about that in Richmond. Like njbmd said, Richmond population is actually majority black and yes it's Virginia, but it's not as bad as you think. Go to www.census.gov, click on united states census 2000, then state & county quickfacts, look up virginia and then under virginia cities, select richmond. You can see that there's some diversity going on in Richmond.

What would you do then if you were in my shoes, on the brink of potentially turning down VCU and going off to the midwest to attend University of Kansas mainly because of the scholarship they've offered me. Kansas city where the school itself is located is actually pretty diverse with a large black and hispanic population, but the state of Kansas is not. Venture out into rural kansas where there's great need for primary care and you begin to feel very alone. Now, that's my concern because if I end up going there, for my rotations, I might be sent over to wichita or other smaller towns and rural areas where there's little diversity and perhaps a great deal of ignorance. I was the only black person during my interview and with the exception of one hispanic girl, the rest were whites mainly from small towns. I swear some were looking at me as if they'd never seen a black person before. Maybe I was just very self-conscious but I certainly felt that way and am still not sure how well I'll fit in with the rest of the class should I decide to go there. I actually don't mind being in small towns or rural areas but the demographic is very important to me-- I like to be comfortable and be around "progressive" people regardless of their race/ethnicity.

That being said, you are going into a white profession-- this may be nerve wrecking especially for those of us who are used to being in predominantly black environments, but we just have to get used to it. I think njbmd is right about the fact that the material to be mastered, the board exams to be taken and the skills that you will need to learn to become an excellent physician do not know the color of the medical student. Med school is hard and everyone must work hard, however, I do see how an intolerant unsupportive atmosphere could affect one's performance. Dealing with anxiety, biases, low expectations etc can add unnecessary stress. That's when you need a tough skin and support from the few other minority students if any.

+ve,

I understand the difficulty of your situation. I too was accepted to KUMC and am seriously considering going there. One of the major decisions I am facing is going to a historically black med school or branching out to KU. I have been in a predominately black environment most of my life and have experienced my share of racism and ignorance (I live in Alabama). One thing that I have discovered is that many situations can be overcome if you go in with a +ve mindset:)D +ve, positive.. get it?). This is something that has been confirmed to me by one of my uncles who is a Neonatologist in the Wichita area and is also in an interracial marriage. Many times he has encountered white patients and parents who in the beginning are somewhat uncomfortable with him however in the end they are constantly thanking him for his amazing work, sending thank you cards and eventually befriending him. One surprising thing he said was that he has had more trouble with blacks. He has a Carribean accent and many of the black patients want nothing to do with him once they hear it. If you think about it, by rotating in rural locations in Kansas, you could potentially change many people's preconceived notions about blacks as a whole, or at the very least allow them to meet one:laugh: . Like I said before, it all depends on your entering mind set.

In regards to your interview day I was a little surprised. I interviewed on the last day and the majority of the interviewees were either black or Hispanic. I can only remember about 6 or 7 out of the ~40 interviewees being white. Go figure.

I also had a question about your scholarship. How long after you turned in your scholarship application did you hear back from them?

I second the suggestion of politely letting VCU know that they are your top choice but that you are having trouble deciding due to scholarship offer at Kansas. Let me reassure you that adcoms are very used to applicants vying for scholarships this way. They may match the Kansas scholarship so do not be shy...good luck.

I was born and raised in Kansas City Missouri and I will be starting KU med this fall. I completely understand the dilemna about the lack of diversity in the community and the state. I fled the midwest for DC where I went to undergrad at Howard because I was craving a place where there was not only a sizable black population, but one a place where Blacks were doing things, moving and shaking things up. There is a sizable black population in KC, but it isn´t big enough to give you anything close to the Baltimore/Alabama experiences that you guys probably have. In terms of social life, we struggle in Kansas City to keep clubs, bars, or anything dedicated to "us" open for a variety of reasons and in alot of places in town, particularly those that med students frequent for one reason or another, you will inevitably be "the inkspot" and that can take some getting used to if you´ve never experienced it before. I know a few Black students at KUMC, and I wont say that there aren´t some obstacles to overcome, especially if you are coming from the East Coast.

......However, having said all of that, KC is what you make of it. The people are kind, the cost of living is relatively cheap, the BBQ is better than anything Ive had anywhere in the world, and even though socially it can be tough socially... A. It isn´t as if you will have tons of social time to play with B. There is definitely a strong (if small) Black/Hispanic community on campus, and though I haven´t even got there yet I intend to do my part to make it stronger (put those Af-Am protesting on the hill everyday skills to use!) C. The Black Community that is in KC is literally at the doorstep of KU med (Kansas City, Kansas) so you will be working, learning, and interacting with those of us "of color" on a regular basis. In terms of the possibility of you having to go to the Witchita school if you dont want to...from my understanding, if anyone in the class doesn´t go to the campus of their choice, by the time its time to go its usually only 2-5 people unhappy with where they landed....if that at all. I damn sure dont want to be Witchita, but I am not really worried about it.

...so those are my two cents. You can call me the preKUMC students of color cheerleader. GOOOOO Kansas! HURRAY for the heartland!!

If your heart is set on another school, then use your scholarship offer from KU as leverage....never be afraid to negotiate for what your worth, just keep it respectible. I hope it works out for you regardless of your choice. Keep us posted.:)

If your top choice school can match that offer from the other school, then that would obviously be ideal. You just have to ask them! If they don't, however, I would go with the full ride school, even though you don't like them as much. I was in the exact same situation 4 years ago, with the offer to go to a top 3 school (but no scholarship) and then 2 offers with $ from a top 10 and top 20 school. Even though I loved the first school (and the city, and its reputation), I chose the top 10 and the $, and now that I'm preparing for my exit interview, I'm so thankful I did. Plus, unlike most of my friends I don't have a rich family to fall back on, so taking the free money was a good idea. When you become a third and fourth year med student and you have to pay for all these stupid exams, and for interviews, and then for moving expenses, you'll be glad you're not already $100K in debt. Go with the full ride. Unless you're already really rich! :D

+ve,

I understand the difficulty of your situation. I too was accepted to KUMC and am seriously considering going there. One of the major decisions I am facing is going to a historically black med school or branching out to KU. I have been in a predominately black environment most of my life and have experienced my share of racism and ignorance (I live in Alabama). One thing that I have discovered is that many situations can be overcome if you go in with a +ve mindset:)D +ve, positive.. get it?). This is something that has been confirmed to me by one of my uncles who is a Neonatologist in the Wichita area and is also in an interracial marriage. Many times he has encountered white patients and parents who in the beginning are somewhat uncomfortable with him however in the end they are constantly thanking him for his amazing work, sending thank you cards and eventually befriending him. One surprising thing he said was that he has had more trouble with blacks. He has a Carribean accent and many of the black patients want nothing to do with him once they hear it. If you think about it, by rotating in rural locations in Kansas, you could potentially change many people's preconceived notions about blacks as a whole, or at the very least allow them to meet one:laugh: . Like I said before, it all depends on your entering mind set.

In regards to your interview day I was a little surprised. I interviewed on the last day and the majority of the interviewees were either black or Hispanic. I can only remember about 6 or 7 out of the ~40 interviewees being white. Go figure.

I also had a question about your scholarship. How long after you turned in your scholarship application did you hear back from them?

Hi Socool,
I find your uncle's situation quite interesting, as I too have a slight accent. I have heard that some Af. Am have little patience/tolerance for foreign blacks [Afro & Caribbean] for whatever reason. I do clinical research at hopkins where I work closely with HIV patients-- the most anyone has said to me is that I speak funny. I was like, as long as you can understand the words that are coming out of my mouth, that's perfectly fine with me, lol. I agree with you that one's attitude can make some difference-- you may have to force yourself to overlook certain things though just to get by. I'm not sure how I'll handle a situation where someone requests for another doctor/intern/med student, perhaps white, insinuating that I'm incompetent or due to their own bigotry. Honestly though, I think that while some parts of the country may be more likely to have a lot of ignorance [I always wonder about states like Idaho, N/S Dakota, Wyoming, Montana!], you can find that pretty much anywhere. I've heard of minority students experiencing prejudice in the ivies/top-notch teaching hospitals from affluent patients who feel like their care is compromised. Should I decide to go to Kansas, I'll expect to experience some of it, but like you said, if you know your stuff, hopefully, some people may see past the skin color.

I interviewed on January 9th, got this email with info on KU scholarship, FAFSA deadline and orientation starting with dear accepted applicant... on Feb 20 and got the scholarship award on Feb 21 through email. It's cool that more minorities were interviewed when you did, but I was the only one on my day.

KUMC is a good school-- I'm just a bit iffy about the location and a few other things about the school. If I end up there, it won't be the worst thing in the world because it seems like they are very much committed to increasing diversity and promoting tolerance. I think I'll be fine with the right "mindset", but it will take a lot of getting used to! I feel that even though you would understandably prefer to stay within your comfort zone, you should take KU over the HBCU because it will better prepare you for residency & medical career in the real world-- not predominantly black! Take care.

I was born and raised in Kansas City Missouri and I will be starting KU med this fall. I completely understand the dilemna about the lack of diversity in the community and the state. I fled the midwest for DC where I went to undergrad at Howard because I was craving a place where there was not only a sizable black population, but one a place where Blacks were doing things, moving and shaking things up. There is a sizable black population in KC, but it isn´t big enough to give you anything close to the Baltimore/Alabama experiences that you guys probably have. In terms of social life, we struggle in Kansas City to keep clubs, bars, or anything dedicated to "us" open for a variety of reasons and in alot of places in town, particularly those that med students frequent for one reason or another, you will inevitably be "the inkspot" and that can take some getting used to if you´ve never experienced it before. I know a few Black students at KUMC, and I wont say that there aren´t some obstacles to overcome, especially if you are coming from the East Coast.

......However, having said all of that, KC is what you make of it. The people are kind, the cost of living is relatively cheap, the BBQ is better than anything Ive had anywhere in the world, and even though socially it can be tough socially... A. It isn´t as if you will have tons of social time to play with B. There is definitely a strong (if small) Black/Hispanic community on campus, and though I haven´t even got there yet I intend to do my part to make it stronger (put those Af-Am protesting on the hill everyday skills to use!) C. The Black Community that is in KC is literally at the doorstep of KU med (Kansas City, Kansas) so you will be working, learning, and interacting with those of us "of color" on a regular basis. In terms of the possibility of you having to go to the Witchita school if you dont want to...from my understanding, if anyone in the class doesn´t go to the campus of their choice, by the time its time to go its usually only 2-5 people unhappy with where they landed....if that at all. I damn sure dont want to be Witchita, but I am not really worried about it.

...so those are my two cents. You can call me the preKUMC students of color cheerleader. GOOOOO Kansas! HURRAY for the heartland!!

If your heart is set on another school, then use your scholarship offer from KU as leverage....never be afraid to negotiate for what your worth, just keep it respectible. I hope it works out for you regardless of your choice. Keep us posted.:)

Hi SlicMic,
Thanks for offering your insider perspective-- If I end up at KUMC, I'll try to make the best out of it. It will take a lot of getting used to, because Baltimore is very much diverse and integrated. I know I won't have much time to play around, but when I do, it would be nice to find things that appeal to my interest and not have to worry about being the inkspot, lol. I did hint to the director of minority office in VCU that I've been offered a scholarship elsewhere but would rather be at VCU. She said she'll raise that during the next scholarship committee meeting, but can't promise that I'll get a full tuition ride. Considering that the office organizes a separate second look weekend event for underrepresented minority students only, I'm guessing, to encourage them to choose their school, I'm hoping they can offer me something. I'm not rich so I should qualify for need-based scholarships. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks.

+ve,

If I were in your shoes I would definitely try to get a scholarship match from VCU if possible, but if not I would just go ahead and go where the money is if you can't/don't get any money from anywhere else. Everyone is saying that we need to basically venture outside of our comfort zones and focus on medicine... so I guess we gotta do what we gotta do.

But if you truly believe that you would be unhappy in Kansas City and wishing that you were in Richmond, I would go to VCU. I'm all about being comfortable with my surroundings. And no matter how much people say that you will be too busy in med school to worry about it, I don't believe it. You will have some down time. All work and no play is not the business. If you are unhappy, you will be distracted.

MORE ABOUT ME...
I heard back from UCLA and I got placed on the hold list, which they described as a secondary wait list; I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. So now I am waiting on Charles Drew, they are my last hope for staying in Cali. I'm also on the waiting list for Morehouse. So if those two fall through, I'll be at VCU. I'm just roling with the punches. I'll end up where ever God wants me to be.

I agree on talking with VCU about your offer from KU. When push comes to shove, you have to be happy with your decision. You got into 2 good medical schools.....that is great........you know you are going to be a med student in the fall and that's what counts. If you feel like you are going to be more happy at VCU, then plan on going to VCU. The good thing is that you have till May, I assume, until you have to commit to just one school. Talk to some one at VCU and see if they can offer you some type of matching financial aid package........until you do that, you won't know what you can do....best of luck to you.

And to the other reader who is waiting to hear from Drew, just be patient. As a 3rd year medical student at UCLA, I too waited a while for Drew. I did not get my acceptance until the beginning of June....there is still hope.....hang in there.......I ended up just staying on with the regular UCLA program because I knew a friend of mine was waitlisted at Drew and when I gave up my spot, he got in.......

Well I hope that I get into Drew this time; I was waitlisted one time before and obviously didn't get in. If not Drew, I hope to get off the alternate list for Morehouse.

Well I hope that I get into Drew this time; I was waitlisted one time before and obviously didn't get in. If not Drew, I hope to get off the alternate list for Morehouse.

You'll be ok....either way, I am rooting for you......both Drew and Morehouse are great med schools!!!!! Best of luck to you....as far as the hold list at UCLA, you are correct........it is a secondary waitlist

I know a few Black students at KUMC, and I wont say that there aren´t some obstacles to overcome, especially if you are coming from the East Coast.

Hey SlicMic,
Thanks for the inside scoop. I am most likely gonna end up there (as long as God's cool with it) and your insight is making me feel a lot better. I was just wondering, what kinda obstacles and how did they overcome them?

Hey SoCoolToo,

The obstacles that I have heard of so far mostly exist in the realm of getting use to the midwest...and the shock of coming to the midwest which is very different from a big city on the east, and has far fewer Black folks. I think another issue is that while KU is notorious for having some of the friendliest people, you have to remember that alot of them are from tiny places in rual KS and MS......Im talking tiny towns with maybe 800- 3,000 people where a Black family has never existed. From my experience going to school (I started undergrad at K-state before I fled) and working in the midwest with folks like that can present its own special set of challenges. Not that they are inherently racist, or mean, or ugly about it..... its just that situations occur and things may get said because they dont know any better. It can be difficult if you have never had to be the inkspot before. I&#180;ve been in KC most of my life so I am pretty well versed in professionally maneuvering the inkspot status to my advantage. And I have heard that some have felt a little isolated and that KU is in need of a stronger coalition of Black students.

No problems that are too large to deal with, mostly just adjusting I think. Its just that race relations in the midwest are of a whole different kind than on the east coast.......but Im sure its different, maybe worse in Alabama? I don&#180;t think its been a problem with professors, or patients.......but I really haven&#180;t asked that, hmm maybe I should.

Any word from VCU to see if they would match KU's offer?

Any word from VCU to see if they would match KU's offer?

Nope, not yet. I called the financial aid office on friday and they said we might get the award letter anywhere from mid-April. I'm keeping my fingers crossed although I doubt they'll match it. As long as they offer me something substantial, I think my decision will be relatively easier. I'll be in kansas next weekend for their second look-- I'm really grateful for their offer and giving them a fair shot. I'll keep you guys posted.

Nope, not yet. I called the financial aid office on friday and they said we might get the award letter anywhere from mid-April. I'm keeping my fingers crossed although I doubt they'll match it. As long as they offer me something substantial, I think my decision will be relatively easier. I'll be in kansas next weekend for their second look-- I'm really grateful for their offer and giving them a fair shot. I'll keep you guys posted.

Hope you get a letter soon that makes you happy!!!!!!:cool: