Miscategorized things on activities list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nousername4444

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that i categorized an important activity that should fall underservice as shadowing. This activity is probably the most important part of my application. How detrimental would this be to my application, particularly with every school seemingly having a service requirement?

The description of the activity makes it obvious that it is community service, but i can't help but assume that not having anything labeled explicitly as service will have a negative impact on my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Yikes...

Well, there's always next cycle...

Members don't see this ad :)
These things happen often from what I'm reading here at sdn.

I'm not an expert, but I would think a reasonable person wouldn't dismiss an applicant for miscategorizing activies when the title and description make it obvious that it's not shadowing.

I was told to clarify it on secondaries if possible or contact admission offices. Whatever coding system used to quantify the information does not consider shadowing community service.

Mistakes happen. If your description covers the correct information, the med schools may change your designation internally for their own assessment purposes. It's not ideal to have classified it incorrectly, but at least the description gives an accurate account, which is what really matters. I can't imagine the classifications are of vital importance, since a given activity can be classified several ways (e.g. research volunteer at hospital can be classified as "shadow", "volunteer", or "research"). I'd imagine the adcoms are more interested in what you did rather than how you classified it (hence, they may change it on their end to meet their specific needs). I suppose you can contact the schools directly, but I suspect you can clarify this EC in the secondaries as well.

Reactions: 1 user