1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Miscategorized things on activities list

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nousername4444, Aug 12, 2015.

1. nousername4444

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just noticed that i categorized an important activity that should fall underservice as shadowing. This activity is probably the most important part of my application. How detrimental would this be to my application, particularly with every school seemingly having a service requirement?

The description of the activity makes it obvious that it is community service, but i can't help but assume that not having anything labeled explicitly as service will have a negative impact on my application.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Meeehai

Yikes...

Well, there's always next cycle...

4. nousername4444

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  5. Holmwood

Holmwood WOW
    2+ Year Member

These things happen often from what I'm reading here at sdn.

I'm not an expert, but I would think a reasonable person wouldn't dismiss an applicant for miscategorizing activies when the title and description make it obvious that it's not shadowing.

6. nousername4444

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was told to clarify it on secondaries if possible or contact admission offices. Whatever coding system used to quantify the information does not consider shadowing community service.

7. ImmunoLove

2+ Year Member

Mistakes happen. If your description covers the correct information, the med schools may change your designation internally for their own assessment purposes. It's not ideal to have classified it incorrectly, but at least the description gives an accurate account, which is what really matters. I can't imagine the classifications are of vital importance, since a given activity can be classified several ways (e.g. research volunteer at hospital can be classified as "shadow", "volunteer", or "research"). I'd imagine the adcoms are more interested in what you did rather than how you classified it (hence, they may change it on their end to meet their specific needs). I suppose you can contact the schools directly, but I suspect you can clarify this EC in the secondaries as well.

nousername4444 likes this.