Misdemeanor and Caribbean Admissions

Started by cheesedoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cheesedoc

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I have one misdemeanor on my record (disorderly conduct for public urination)... stupid, I know. Here's what it comes down to: This is my 3rd and final time applying to med school and I'm applying to SGU along with US schools. SGU asks on their app if you've been convicted of a crime. My stats are 30N, 3.25 GPA (3.0 BPCM, from top 20 undergrad), 3.44 in an tough SMP program. Can anyone hear hazard a guess on how much this misdemeanor would affect my status for admission to SGU? Much appreciated

Also, I did have the record sealed of the misdemeanor. Anyone thinking I should just say "Nope, never been convicted"?
 
Hey all,

I have one misdemeanor on my record (disorderly conduct for public urination)... stupid, I know. Here's what it comes down to: This is my 3rd and final time applying to med school and I'm applying to SGU along with US schools. SGU asks on their app if you've been convicted of a crime. My stats are 30N, 3.25 GPA (3.0 BPCM, from top 20 undergrad), 3.44 in an tough SMP program. Can anyone hear hazard a guess on how much this misdemeanor would affect my status for admission to SGU? Much appreciated

Also, I did have the record sealed of the misdemeanor. Anyone thinking I should just say "Nope, never been convicted"?

Aren't you legally alllowed to say you've never been convicted after having the record sealed? I believe that's the case. If not, email the dean (if the info is available, if not the admissions) tell him the story of the arrest and tell him it's been sealed and whether to put it on your application. If they say no, save that email forever and they can't hold it against you. But your stats are good and you should get in anyway with that on your application if need be.
 
Aren't you legally alllowed to say you've never been convicted after having the record sealed?

In Canada that would be the case, but in the US the record is not really sealed unless you were under 18 when it happened. In the US, they ask you if you have ever been convicted of a crime and if you do not answer the question truthfully and if they investigate it then the truth will be found and the person could be kicked out of school.

In terms of affect on an application, a record should be of great concern when it comes to getting a license and practicing medicine because any type of record will make it difficult (if not impossible).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One thing that you need to understand is that all sorts of information is readily accessible on the internet. This includes arrest and conviction records. The information is available to med schools, employers, state licensing boards, and anyone who can gain access to on-line data bases.

So if you are asked to disclose any arrests or convictions for crimes, yoiu are advised to do so. You can be sure that anyone who really wants to know will be able to retrieve the information from some database, and if you lie in response to any such inquiries, you will be found out and you will have to explain yourself...

Honesty is the best policy. If you fail to admit, for example, to some arrest and/or conviction, there is a good chance that you will be found out. 😳
 
Hey all,

I have one misdemeanor on my record (disorderly conduct for public urination)... stupid, I know. Here's what it comes down to: This is my 3rd and final time applying to med school and I'm applying to SGU along with US schools. SGU asks on their app if you've been convicted of a crime. My stats are 30N, 3.25 GPA (3.0 BPCM, from top 20 undergrad), 3.44 in an tough SMP program. Can anyone hear hazard a guess on how much this misdemeanor would affect my status for admission to SGU? Much appreciated

Also, I did have the record sealed of the misdemeanor. Anyone thinking I should just say "Nope, never been convicted"?

To be honest with you the Low gpa is wht held you back, the Caribbean or DO are tha only options, you have a good MCAT. Look I have said this a 1000 times doesn't matter what college what matters is the GPA below a 3.4 in undergrad and it matters no matter where you went, only premeds make so much out of what college ADCOMS do not.:luck:
 
To be honest with you the Low gpa is wht held you back, the Caribbean or DO are tha only options, you have a good MCAT. Look I have said this a 1000 times doesn't matter what college what matters is the GPA below a 3.4 in undergrad and it matters no matter where you went, only premeds make so much out of what college ADCOMS do not.:luck:

Just for clarification, I know it's the low GPA that is holding me back... I was a ***** my first couple of years and blew off everything to live the college lifestyle. The misdemeanor was obtained this summer, unfortunately... great timing. Also appreciate the "good luck" but don't tell me the caribbean and DO are my ONLY options... I had 3 interviews last year, 2 waitlists at US MD schools. Hopefully this year my Master's GPA will push me over the top. If not, hopefully I'll be in the islands.
 
Hey all,

I have one misdemeanor on my record (disorderly conduct for public urination)... stupid, I know. Here's what it comes down to: This is my 3rd and final time applying to med school and I'm applying to SGU along with US schools. SGU asks on their app if you've been convicted of a crime. My stats are 30N, 3.25 GPA (3.0 BPCM, from top 20 undergrad), 3.44 in an tough SMP program. Can anyone hear hazard a guess on how much this misdemeanor would affect my status for admission to SGU? Much appreciated

Also, I did have the record sealed of the misdemeanor. Anyone thinking I should just say "Nope, never been convicted"?

I advice to you to say the truth on your application. It will hurt you more if they found out you lied.

Not really significant for admissions....but later on....
 
I would take great exception to this statement. I have more than 1 misdemeanor and I had no problem getting into medical school, a residency or an unrestricted medical license.

You should try reading responses before taking exception to them. Your high school charge falls under offences committed by a minor and your other offence falls under the category of offences that make it more difficult to get a license.

Take exception to that, Mr. Ex-Con.
 
I do take exception to that. First of all, SCREW YOU.

Haha.. You do realize that allowing an anonymous person to get you upset over the Internet means that I have the power to control your emotions. Do not let people control you. It is not a favourable characteristic for a man.
 
I would take great exception to this statement. I have more than 1 misdemeanor and I had no problem getting into medical school, a residency or an unrestricted medical license...

I admitted everything to the state medical board, and I got a license w/out problem. Could they have done a search on me and found these things out? I seriously doubt it, unless they let the NSA do their security searches...

So while honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, I don't think that this is as big of a deal as you are making it out to be. Your life is not over. Getting in school and doing well is what you need to worry about.

HC,

You obviously did the right thing by "coming clean" to the medical board, which apparently granted your license. As I said earlier, "Honesty is the best policy." As your case proves, such misdeameanors as yours need not block your medical licensure.

However, I can assure you that people with your sort of history can and indeed have had licensure problems if they fail to reveal prior convictions. My medical board (California) regularly publishes what it calls an Action Report that lists licensee discipline. This report lists licensees who have had adverse action against their licenses for having failed to disclose prior criminal convictions, including misdemeanors. So, yes, your medical board can conduct a criminal background search. If they find a conviction that you have not disclosed (and they will ask you to disclose convictions and in some cases arrests), your license may be forfeit. Failure to disclose the information requested can be taken as evidence of dishonesty. So you are advised to answer all questions about criminal history honestly. Period, end of story, and nothing more needs to be said.

Nick
 
You should try reading responses before taking exception to them. Your high school charge falls under offences committed by a minor and your other offence falls under the category of offences that make it more difficult to get a license.

Take exception to that, Mr. Ex-Con.


HAHAHAHA this is so funny!

1. You are not a Lawyer
2. A msidemeanor does not make him an ex-con you have to go to jail for that
3. Felony keeps you from a License not misdemeanors
4. in some states spitting on the sidewalk is an offense, I really think this is just stupid and the boards know that this kinda of stuff is stupid.

:luck:
 
How do you get your record sealed? Or charges sealed???

In the US, you can only have the record of your conviction expunged and the details vary from state to state. You can usually find some basic information online if you google the word "expunge" and your state, but generally an attorney will be able to give you all of the information.

Make sure to ask whether the record really disappears because lying about an arrest is worse than explaining it upfront.
 
HAHAHAHA this is so funny!

1. You are not a Lawyer
2. A msidemeanor does not make him an ex-con you have to go to jail for that
3. Felony keeps you from a License not misdemeanors
4. in some states spitting on the sidewalk is an offense, I really think this is just stupid and the boards know that this kinda of stuff is stupid.

:luck:

I have always enjoyed your posts so I will reply tongue-in-cheek.😍

1. You do not know that. Even if I were not an attorney, there is no restriction on who knows the law.

2. You are thinking of the common pejorative term "felon" because an ex-con is one whom has been convicted of a crime, not necessarily one who has spent time in prison or jail.

3. Depends on the misdemeanor, because sexual assault, physical assault, and crimes of moral turpitude are all misdemeanors. Felony grand theft auto looks great compared to misdemeanor sexual assault.

4. Age does reveal things that must be experienced, right gramps? :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is one the funniest posts I've come across in a while. Thanks everyone who shared their public urination stories with us.
 
I have always enjoyed your posts so I will reply tongue-in-cheek.😍

1. You do not know that. Even if I were not an attorney, there is no restriction on who knows the law.

2. You are thinking of the common pejorative term "felon" because an ex-con is one whom has been convicted of a crime, not necessarily one who has spent time in prison or jail.

3. Depends on the misdemeanor, because sexual assault, physical assault, and crimes of moral turpitude are all misdemeanors. Felony grand theft auto looks great compared to misdemeanor sexual assault.

4. Age does reveal things that must be experienced, right gramps? :meanie:



Yea and I have "PEE" brain sometimes HAHAHAHAHA:luck:

And yes I do push it sometimes here it seems everyone does.