Misdemeanor Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leeeavin on a jet plane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So about four years ago I received a ticket for a minor in consumption. I had it expunged before the first time I applied (in 2010) but decided to disclose the info on that application cycle because I wasn't sure it was completely off my record. Since then I have gone through multiple background checks for my job, multiple volunteer positions, as well as doing one myself and nothing has come up. So I am pretty confident it is off my record. As such, I stated I did not receive an misdemeanor on all of the applications (as one of the exemptions from disclosing that info is that it is expunged).

Now secondaries are asking the same question, stating they require background checks "where all past court decisions will be listed". They even explicitly stated to include anything "dismissed or expunged."

So my question is two part:
1. Is it okay to say no since I know it is off my record and any background check should reveal nothing?
2. If I decide to say yes, would it be detrimental to my application since I replied no on the main application?

If anyone has had any experience with this or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Now secondaries are asking the same question, stating they require background checks "where all past court decisions
So my question is two part:
1. Is it okay to say no since I know it is off my record and any background check should reveal nothing?
2. If I decide to say yes, would it be detrimental to my application since I replied no on the main application?

If anyone has had any experience with this or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

From what I understand, you should say yes. Although regular background checks won't reveal it, higher level ones that they do (e.g residency placements, FBI) will show everything. That being said, I don't think it will hurt too bad because drinking as a minor is part of the college experience, just take responsibility and give a learning experience! I'm sure the people on the adcom drank in college! For 2, no because AMCAS and secondary instructions are different as you listed. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Really depends on the phrasing of the question. If they ask if you've ever been arrested/charged/convicted, the answer should be a yes because of the reasons Doctorponder wrote above - background checks when you have to do rotations at a VA hospital will definitely uncover expunged/sealed records.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 users