Misdemeanor Speeding Ticket

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iceqube

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got a speeding ticket while on vacation. It is considered a misdemeanor in the state I got it. However, I have contacted lawyers and they said it would not show up on background checks. I am still worried that it might show up on my background check, which concerns me because it had show up on other people background checks. I am wondering if I should report it to the school where I’ll be matriculating this August.

Members don't see this ad.

A speeding ticket is not a big deal. Report it otherwise if you don't and the school finds out later, then you are in big doo doo...

Reactions: 1 users
The advice the “experts” give on here is hysterical. It’s a speeding ticket, we all get them. There’s a guy in my class who raped one of our classmates during M1, and he’s still in school pending investigation. You’re fine.

Seriously, don’t listen to the advice of these clowns.

Members don't see this ad :)
The advice the “experts” give on here is hysterical. It’s a speeding ticket, we all get them. There’s a guy in my class who raped one of our classmates during M1, and he’s still in school pending investigation. You’re fine.

Seriously, don’t listen to the advice of these clowns.

Just really sad for you and how it is turning out for you from your other posts. You need to get off SDN and deal with your issues. GL bro!

Wait, hit the brakes.

I think you need to slow down for a second and think about your situation.

Not reporting would put you over the limit of what the adcoms will let blow past them and they'd probably have to pull your application over.

Reactions: 2 users
No. Nobody in the history of ever has cared about a speeding ticket. I have classmates with DWI’s, prior arrests, etc. Plus, you probably just had to deal with a douchebag cop with an inferiority complex who probably would’ve shot you if you had enough melanin. You’re fine.

No. Nobody in the history of ever has cared about a speeding ticket. I have classmates with DWI’s, prior arrests, etc. Plus, you probably just had to deal with a douchebag cop with an inferiority complex who probably would’ve shot you if you had enough melanin. You’re fine.
Bruh.

Reactions: 2 users
Well this escalated quickly...

OP: Report it. Chances are they won't care, but that's for them to decide and you are obligated to tell them. Don't risk an acceptance.

I recently got a speeding ticket while on vacation. It is considered a misdemeanor in the state I got it. However, I have contacted lawyers and they said it would not show up on background checks. I am still worried that it might show up on my background check, which concerns me because it had show up on other people background checks. I am wondering if I should report it to the school where I’ll be matriculating this August.
It's a freaking speeding ticket, not an assault charge. Just report.

Report it. This past cycle I went through the same process. Speeding is not considered a misdemeanor in my state (MD) and I was an idiot and did not report it according to reports from numerous sources that it would not show up on the background check. Guess what? It did. Fortunately I wrote to my school after I had seen the results of the background check, before I released them. My admissions office was very understanding and nothing came of it, not sure that would be the case at other schools. The best course, if you really did not want to report it would be to run the Certiphi background check on yourself (I believe AMCAS offers this service), and if it shows up, report it.

Hi all, I'm in a similar situation. However, I took traffic school and got a letter saying the charge has been "dismissed" because of this. The above quote from AMCAS says we're required to disclose if we pled guilty or no contest, but doesn't dismissed mean the charge has been dropped? At this point it has also been more than ten days since the infraction so I don't want that to count against me either.

Hi all, I'm in a similar situation. However, I took traffic school and got a letter saying the charge has been "dismissed" because of this. The above quote from AMCAS says we're required to disclose if we pled guilty or no contest, but doesn't dismissed mean the charge has been dropped? At this point it has also been more than ten days since the infraction so I don't want that to count against me either.
Isn’t traffic school admitting guilt and taking corrective action?

Isn’t traffic school admitting guilt and taking corrective action?

This was my original understanding; I got the ticket out of state so I essentially couldn't contest it. Based on some googling, here is what I'm pretty sure is true: in the state where I received the ticket (KY), speeding is a violation, NOT a misdemeanor. However this does not comfort me greatly given what JT_30 said above about it still appearing on a background check. Secondly, the point of traffic school is to avoid getting points on my license and so that the ticket does not appear on my publicly available 3 yr record. It will remain on my five year record, which is supposedly only available to law enforcement, courts, and government agencies.

Per the AMCAS guide, misdemeanors do not have to be reported for "any misdemeanor convictions for which you completed any probation and for which the court dismissed the case." Part of me wants to just go ahead and disclose it to avoid any possible appearance of shadiness, but one of the benefits of traffic school is supposed to be that the ticket was dismissed, i.e. that I shouldn't have to disclose it.

Sorry if this all seems a bit hysterical, and it's kind of a headache to figure this stuff out when the laws are so different from state to state. I would just really like to avoid reporting this if I don't have to. Given that it was a violation (not a misdemeanor) and that it has since been dismissed, I feel like I should not have to, but definitely don't want this to come back to bite me. :(

Sorry if this all seems a bit hysterical, and it's kind of a headache to figure this stuff

There's nothing to figure out. This is a traffic ticket. Don't turn something into a mountain from a molehill. Inform your school immediately and I am pretty certain it will not be an issue. But don't disclose it and once again, regardless of how you interpret AMCAS' guide, you will end up being in "deep doo doo" if the school finds out...

... why are there so many posts in this thread?

Report it where you need to report it. Nobody will give a **** and understand you felt you had to report it. The end.

-Veil, attending who went through this

I've gotten several speeding tickets and a bunch of tickets for other stuff, I told med schools about it when I was applying and honestly, no one cared and it never came up again... it's better to just tell them than risk them finding out, that'd be a lot worse. Everyone makes mistakes and getting a speeding ticket is something that can happen to pretty much anyone