Misdemeanor Update

Started by HazyDaisy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HazyDaisy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So after I submitted my primary way back in June I found out shortly after a criminal charge against me was a misdemeanor. This misdemeanor is extremely insignificant and ridiculous in my opinion. So I instantly emailed and updated every school right away after(sometime in July). Almost every school emailed me back within days and said they added the info to my file. Since then, this has caused no problems getting interviews or anything else. However, I just got an interview invite from my top choice and realized they never responded to my misdemeanor update. I have also sent an in-the-area and update email to which I also received no responses. I feel like if I ask if they have the misdemeanor update on file now it would seem as if I waited until I got an interview to tell them. I have the misdemeanor update email sent to the school saved so I would be able to prove I sent it. Let's say I got an acceptance and then confirmed they had the update. Would this cause any problems? Again, keep in mind this misdemeanor is extremely insignificant and has basically been laughed at by some interviewers.
 
If you are sure you sent the e-mail to this particular school, then I wouldn't go out of your way to address it unless you are directly asked about it in your interview. I think you can assume that they received the e-mail and granted you an interview invite despite the misdemeanor.

It could likely come up as a topic of discussion at the interview however, so be prepared to respond honestly to questions about the incident. I'm sure you know that, however. Best of luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know it's easy to drive yourself crazy thinking and agonizing about issues like this, especially when there is no good course of action for you to take to resolve the issue. However, you know that you acted in good faith to let them know about your misdemeanor, so your conscience can be clear. Don't stress. 🙂
 
So after I submitted my primary way back in June I found out shortly after a criminal charge against me was a misdemeanor. This misdemeanor is extremely insignificant and ridiculous in my opinion. So I instantly emailed and updated every school right away after(sometime in July). Almost every school emailed me back within days and said they added the info to my file. Since then, this has caused no problems getting interviews or anything else. However, I just got an interview invite from my top choice and realized they never responded to my misdemeanor update. I have also sent an in-the-area and update email to which I also received no responses. I feel like if I ask if they have the misdemeanor update on file now it would seem as if I waited until I got an interview to tell them. I have the misdemeanor update email sent to the school saved so I would be able to prove I sent it. Let's say I got an acceptance and then confirmed they had the update. Would this cause any problems? Again, keep in mind this misdemeanor is extremely insignificant and has basically been laughed at by some interviewers.

if its funny i wanna hear about it!