miserable in vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

friendofdobby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year student in the US and am dreading going back to school for the spring semester. You name it, it bothers me--the endless classes and studying, tests that never end, the horrible people in my class, professor A is being condescending, professor B doesn't respond to emails, the people in my groups... Last semester, I dreaded going to school everyday. There was a prevet club meeting at the vet school and I wanted to tell them to get out while they still could. Friends, family, acquaintances ask how school is going and I want to tell them it's sucking out my soul. I'm not planning on quitting, but does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with all of this?

Last semester, I was doing okay grade wise before finals but my grades dropped in all but one or two of my classes. My lowest grade was a C (my semester grade goal was nothing below a C) but the number of Cs I had was discouraging. I don't deal with stress well and by the end of finals, I was barely hanging on. The time I studied per test decreased with each final--I couldn't seem to make myself study adequately for the last 2.

I'm not a social person by any stretch of the imagination and have had trouble making friends. Anytime I seem to be getting somewhere, it falters out and I'm left back where I started. I've joined some clubs and things but that doesn't seem to be helping.

Finally, I have no idea what to do this summer. I don't have the gpa or references to do anything competitive and I'd like to work on my clinical skills and make some money. I wanted to shadow over winter break but my calls were not returned.

Does anyone else feel like this? Any suggestions on keeping motivated or dealing with stress?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear you're having such an awful time :(

I can't say that I've been quite as miserable as you are, but vet school has not been the time of my life either and know many people for whom that is also the case.

A few things that I kinda wanted to address:

the endless classes and studying, tests that never end
I think this is a VERY common frustration, but know it does end! Second year is probably the worst time for this because at that point you kinda feel worthless in that you don't know enough to do much. You're starting to learn useful information, but it's hard to imagine that you'll be a full fledged vet ever. It's depressing when you think about all that you've studied in the past year and a half... and how that really amounts to close to nothing. And the end is so far away that the end of the tunnel is totally out of sight. Just know that everyone in your class, and pretty much anyone in vet school is in the same situation as you, and maybe take comfort in that. Commiseration with those who understand can be cathartic... but that brings me to the next topic.

the horrible people in my class, [...] the people in my groups... [...] I'm not a social person by any stretch of the imagination and have had trouble making friends. Anytime I seem to be getting somewhere, it falters out and I'm left back where I started. I've joined some clubs and things but that doesn't seem to be helping.

This sounds really stressful, and I think you might really benefit from counseling. Most vet schools provide free counseling for students so I hope you can take advantage of that. At least from what you say, it sounds like you're not getting along with really anyone in your class. To me, that's a little concerning and sad :(. I think it's concerning because the more you move up in the curriculum, the more important it is to get along. Once you start your surgery training and clinics you have to really start trusting and feeling comfortable working with others in the class. If you have an adversary relationship with the class as a whole, it's going to make your life a heck of a lot harder. YOU DON'T have to be friends with everyone in the class, but you do need to get along enough with a majority of them to be good work partners, and you have to be civil enough with those you despise to get the job done. If the above isn't true for you, you need to figure out why. So what went wrong? Do you feel like your classmates undermine you? Is it that it bothers you that others in your group aren't pulling their weight and you can't do anything about it? What about working in groups is bothering you so much? If people are being rude to you, is it because they're mean? Or is it because they're reacting to how you come across to them?

I was sort of in your situation first year, and I would go home fuming almost every day because of "the annoying as **** people in my class." I realized a little later though, that there really were only 10 or so grating personalities in my class who for some reason were either too loud and obnoxious with their nastiness to be ignored, or actually directly affected me. The rest of the 130 or so students were perfectly normal people, and being not all that social myself, I just didn't know most of them. Because of that, I just had an overwhelmingly negative view of my class as a whole. Turns out, most people are super nice people with lives and ambitions of their own. Those lives, ambitions and personality aren't necessarily compatible with mine, but that doesn't make them bad people or bad colleagues. I've found that if I just respect people for what they bring to the table and be supportive of their weaknesses for the task at hand, they will have the same courtesy for me, and s*** gets done. There's no need to judge others or be judged by others for your lifestyle, personality, quirks, etc... in these situations because those are irrelevant. There are a few out there that just don't play by these rules, and you just have to do your best to ignore/manage them or yourself for the collective good.

As for not having any friends, I think that part takes a bit of introspection, and again, I think counseling might be beneficial. You say that when you seem to be going somewhere, it collapses, and you end up where you started. I really think it would be helpful for you to describe what happened to get an objective opinion about what went wrong. I'm sorry you're in the situation you're in because that's really really sucky. I really hope you make some connections that you're happy with in the near future. On that end, I think it's really important to realize that friendships don't happen just because you want them to. You can be the nicest person in the world, and it doesn't mean you'll be friends with every other person out there. Compatibility is important. So don't get frustrated that you can't be friends with someone because you're not compatible with them. That's just a function of who you are and who they are. Just because I'm not friends with someone, it doesn't mean s/he is an awful person. With a weird and awkward individual like myself, there aren't very many people who are compatible to be my friend... but you know what, it doesn't matter as long as I've found some. For people like me, it takes a little bit of searching and waiting to find the right people to pass by, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I've learned to be okay with that and don't waste my time/effort on relationships that are not going to go anywhere. Not everyone is interested in me or my life, and that's perfectly fine. I choose to spend my time with the few who do. And there are different levels of friendships ya know? Some friends I'm happy to go eat out with once in a while or go get coffee; some friends I feel comfortable with spilling everything with; some friends I like, but would prefer to only hang out with in the context of other people. Not every one of my friends are my best friends, and it can be kind of uncomfortable when someone isn't but wants to be.

professor A is being condescending, professor B doesn't respond to emails,
This kind of stuff, you just have to learn to let it go and not worry about it. If you let these little things eat you up on top of all your other problems, it only makes your life more miserable imo.

Last semester, I was doing okay grade wise before finals but my grades dropped in all but one or two of my classes. My lowest grade was a C (my semester grade goal was nothing below a C) but the number of Cs I had was discouraging. I don't deal with stress well and by the end of finals, I was barely hanging on. The time I studied per test decreased with each final--I couldn't seem to make myself study adequately for the last 2.

It sounds like all the stresses of vet school is festering and it's affecting your performance in school :(. I really hope you can get the help you need to get through this, and maybe find an outlet for your frustrations so that you can cope a little better. It might also be worthwhile to go and have a chat with your dean about what's going on, so that they know you're struggling and might be able to get you some help.

Finally, I have no idea what to do this summer. I don't have the gpa or references to do anything competitive and I'd like to work on my clinical skills and make some money. I wanted to shadow over winter break but my calls were not returned.

You don't need anything competitive to work on your clinical skills, so I wouldn't be so depressed about the gpa situation. Not all places ask for references either. Making money while getting clinical skills can be a bit difficult for a lot of people, so it's not just you. You may have to pick one or the other. Have you thought about maybe doing a banfield summer program? I know people in my class who struggle with their grades that had positions and loved it. Don't let the lack of call-backs for shadowing over winter-session discourage you. Rejections (or silent rejections) are annoying, but you can't let that slow you down. You just have to contact more, or find other ways of getting opportunities. Is there anyone at school you can talk to about clinics that students have had good experiences with? Can you volunteer at a shelter with adequate vet services?

Anyhoos, good luck FOD! I hope things start turning around for you soon.

I'm not hugely good at giving advice, but you are definitely not alone! On the friends front, I can definitely commiserate. I had a decent group of friends 1st year, but when the group split into two smaller groups 2nd year, I ended up trying to stick with the group that was not the greatest for me. By the end of the year, I was barely talking to anyone, but it took me that long to get up the nerve to jump ship. This year, I'm sitting with the other half of the group that split, and I am SOOOOO much happier. Keep your chin up and keep trying. Until you've tried with every single person in your class, you never know who you'll end up having a great relationship with. Also, don't be discouraged if you don't become best friends with anyone. Honestly, I love the people I'm hanging out with this year, but I'll be surprised if I'm still close with any of them when we all go our separate ways after graduation; and I don't feel too much need to go out of my way to hang out with them outside of school. But having someone to be social with at school has definitely helped my stress levels and mood.

Which school are you at (if you don't mind my asking)? Someone on here may be able to tell you where to call or go for counselling.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say that I've been quite as miserable as you are, but vet school has not been the time of my life either and know many people for whom that is also the case.

I agree--I wouldn't say that I am totally miserable, but I am definitely tired of the school thing. The tests, studying, and constant pressure to not fail/mess up are what get to me. First semester of second year was especially stressful for me because we had 2 tests a week, quizzes weekly, and we had long surgery labs. Fortunately though, it does end eventually! Second semester of second year was a lot less stressful for me.

I agree with the suggestion to see if any counseling services are available. Even just being able to vent your complaints and feelings to someone can be very helpful.

Hopefully things get better for you soon!

Get involved in something outside of class. Not just a club or something else to deal with. an intramural team maybe? exercise classes? art classes? - whatever you like. Vet school gets to be a lot like high school, have a place outside of it to go to even just once a week where you can do something pressure free just because you like to do it. If animals are your ONLY interest then go walk dogs at a shelter on saturdays. You'll meet friendly people and escape the competitive atmosphere a bit. Make sure its not a commitment though- just optional so it doesn't add extra stress. I go horseback riding once a week and come home feeling great no matter what my mood was before. It's nice because when I don't feel like going I can just cancel. Good luck!

I'm a second year student in the US and am dreading going back to school for the spring semester. You name it, it bothers me--the endless classes and studying, tests that never end, the horrible people in my class, professor A is being condescending, professor B doesn't respond to emails, the people in my groups... Last semester, I dreaded going to school everyday. There was a prevet club meeting at the vet school and I wanted to tell them to get out while they still could. Friends, family, acquaintances ask how school is going and I want to tell them it's sucking out my soul. I'm not planning on quitting, but does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with all of this?

I'm not a social person by any stretch of the imagination and have had trouble making friends. Anytime I seem to be getting somewhere, it falters out and I'm left back where I started. I've joined some clubs and things but that doesn't seem to be helping.

Does anyone else feel like this? Any suggestions on keeping motivated or dealing with stress?

Every second year student feels overwhelmed with studying and tests. Honestly, it's what you signed up for. Sounds harsh but always remind yourself that A LOT of other people would have given anything to be miserable with the tests and studying you're going through right now.

Professors - it's academia so you have to recognize that there will always be professors that think very highly of themselves in the ivory tower and some are busy and suck at responding to emails. Ask them after class if you have questions or need to set up a meeting in person. You're paying good money so they have an obligation to meet if necesary. Remember all that persistence you had getting into school? Bring some of that out and get the communication you need if you feel you need it.

Vet school was never meant to be easy. If it were, everyone would do it and it would be easy to get in. Remind yourself that you were selected by an admission committee because they saw something in you that made them think you would be successful. It's what you do in the rough times that proves them right. That shows you really do have what it takes to get through. If you've made it this far I'm sure you have the ability to dig in and keep going no matter how difficult it seems at the time. Second year is always going to be the hardest for any vet student. Hang in there.

I remember reading an SDN post in which someone said that there are some students who have the time of their lives in vet school, and some who don't actually enjoy vet school, but tough it out because it's what they need to do to get where they want.
While I'm not *unhappy* per se, I've also felt a certain amount of guilt because I'm not exactly having the time of my life in vet school either. I'm having trouble with time management, motivation to study, developing meaningful friendships, and anxiety about what I'll be doing this summer. I miss my boyfriend, and sometimes think wistfully of having a 9-5 job, and coming home without having to worry about studying for the next test.
Unfortunately, I don't have any advice... I just want to say that based on what I've seen on SDN and heard from other students in my class, you're not alone. You sound really miserable though, so I second what other people in this thread have said - it might really help to take advantage of any counseling services on your campus, even just to vent your frustration.

Edit: I forgot to mention - if you're uncomfortable with using counseling services, I've heard (anecdotally, so take it with a grain of salt) that keeping a journal can be kind of therapeutic. I used to keep a livejournal a few years ago, and I found that it helped me organize and make sense of my thoughts/feelings.

Last edited:
I hated the class part of vet school more than I've ever hated anything... but it is NOT forever and it WILL end and you will feel so much better.

Ditto on everything Minnerbelle said and especially the counseling part.

Hang in there - you can do it!

friendofdobby, there's enough concerns in in your post that I would suggest you find out if there is something going on above and beyond the normal stress of school, such as clinical depression. None of us can give specific medical advice but you might want to consider getting evaluated by your student health care service.

I hate vet school too, so yep. It's only the 2nd Monday of class and I really, really (really) had a hard time getting up. I probably skipped 90% of my classes between Thanksgiving and finals last semester. I was just done.

I do have some friends, but I'm not exactly shy so that probably helps.

I have classmates I could live without but I try to make sure I get along with everyone okay since I know I'm stuck with these people for a couple more years. If someone really bothers you, avoid the crap out of them.

Some professors are gonna suck, for whatever reason. But some will be awesome. And some will really care about you and your well-being and stuff. If you don't go to a counselor (and maybe even if you do) then try going to talk with a professor you enjoyed having class from. Surely there has been at least one that you liked? Just talking with them can help you deal with crap. They went though vet school at some point.

I miss my boyfriend, and sometimes think wistfully of having a 9-5 job, and coming home without having to worry about studying for the next test.

I just told someone today that I just want to go back home with my fiancé, work as a cashier the rest of my life never having to think, and spend all my time working out and cooking delicious food.
Tired of it already and I'm only in my second semester :cool:

I just told someone today that I just want to go back home with my fiancé, work as a cashier the rest of my life never having to think, and spend all my time working out and cooking delicious food.

YES! Every now and then I'll look up from studying and fantasize about how easy and fun life would be if I were a housewife. :rolleyes:

Edit: or an Archaeologist!

Last edited:

My I'm-exhausted-and-fantasizing-about-a-different-life career is landscape architect. I generally love school and I still burn out on it and have a back-up fantasy career (that I think about regularly).

It's just an exhausting life-consuming beast of a career choice.

I'm really sorry things are so tough, OP. I really hope you take some of the excellent advice given and power through. I'm rooting for you!

Members don't see this ad :)

My backup fantasy career is a baker. It's already an interest of mine, and who wouldn't want to be surrounded by cakes, pies, and cookies every day?! I'd probably end up doubled in size in no time...

Thanks for all the responses. I know a few of the things I mentioned seemed insignificant--and individually they are. It's just the last straw on a long difficult day when a professor is condescending or I realized I've forgotten an assignment due the next day. It's really just a few people in my class that are horrible--one of my anatomy partners last year alternated between ignoring and belittling me. Fortunately, I don't have to work with her everyday anymore but we did have a few small group projects this last semester.

I have gone to counselling both at school and elsewhere and, all things considered, last semester went a lot better than last spring.

Thanks for the responses and wish me luck on 4th semester :luck:!

I've been getting into a slump as well and I'm only a first year. If you can take a 12 minute break at some point, I highly recommended checking out this TED-talk on "the happiness advantage." I saw it for the first time at the beginning of fall semester and try to think back to it when the going gets tough. Hope it can help you keep positive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXy__kBVq1M

Don't worry your not alone. Its only second semester and a classmate and I were talking about whether we fully gave other career options a chance. People ask me if I am loving vet school, and I just tell them that vet school is a place people go to die and get resurrected as doctors.

Know that your not alone in your pain, but we are all in this together and we can do it!! :thumbup::luck:

I know a few of the things I mentioned seemed insignificant--and individually they are.

Don't worry about it, we all understand how that goes. Some of the things that really bothered me so freaking much sound ridiculous to the outside observer. I used to complain to my bf about things like how irate I was because of some annoying crappy girl in my class who would strategically and purposely steal a seat so that my friends and I could not sit together. Her reasoning was that she was a lefty and the 4 of us always sat together spanning her "ideal" lefty seat that she was entitled to. Apparently, the lefty seat in the row in front of us or behind us (or the ones at the ends of EVERY FREAKING ROW) were not good enough for her. I dunno why she decided that one of "our" seats was her favorite one after 3 months... but whatever. So one of us would have to move one seat over, and piss off someone else who got bumped out of the row. If all 4 of us left the row to sit elsewhere, we REALLY pissed people off in the other rows, and that girl sat there with like 3 empty seats around her because no one filled in those seats. But it was sad and awkward and unfair for one of us to stand around until the rest of the class took their seats to look for an uncontested opening. We were like in the 6th row or something and not even in gunner row so I dunno why it had to be so difficult. It sounds so petty and stupid even typing this up, but it was sooooo stressful. I'm sure it was also a source of great stress to the lefty girl who kept stealing our seat (she'd come in at like 7 am just claim it...). After all, from her perspective, we were the 4 cliquey entitled Righties who obviously did not understand her needs. Cause lemme tell ya, I had no interest in being friendly with her when I sat next to her while enduring the stank-eye from the group of peeps for now displacing them. And I didn't feel that bad if I had to talk over her to my friend now flanking her during our 10 min breaks between classes. I'm sure she loathed us as much as we loathed her. And it's sad because it's not like we had much against each other otherwise (I think). It was especially hurtful when my bf would tell me how I'm wasting energy on such a stupid problem... that he felt was not even a problem. It's unbelievable how much stress this caused me, but it did!!! It probably sounds ridiculous even to those in vet school whose class doesn't exhibit seat aggression for whatever reason.

Ugh, my bp just shot up just remembering that stuff. Funny, because it stopped being a problem once I stopped going to class altogether. Then I just had to deal with the disdain from those who felt like class skippers were evil cheaters lacking professionalism or whatever. Seriously, this post makes me sound like the biggest loser and ******* in the world. I swear I'm not! But that's what vet school does to you sometimes.

So as much as I tell you not to sweat the little stuff, OP, I totally get where you're coming from. Just try to make sure you get whatever help you need to in order to survive it.

Don't worry about it, we all understand how that goes. Some of the things that really bothered me so freaking much sound ridiculous to the outside observer. I used to complain to my bf about things like how irate I was because of some annoying crappy girl in my class who would strategically and purposely steal a seat so that my friends and I could not sit together. Her reasoning was that she was a lefty and the 4 of us always sat together spanning her "ideal" lefty seat that she was entitled to. Apparently, the lefty seat in the row in front of us or behind us (or the ones at the ends of EVERY FREAKING ROW) were not good enough for her. I dunno why she decided that one of "our" seats was her favorite one after 3 months... but whatever. So one of us would have to move one seat over, and piss off someone else who got bumped out of the row. If all 4 of us left the row to sit elsewhere, we REALLY pissed people off in the other rows, and that girl sat there with like 3 empty seats around her because no one filled in those seats. But it was sad and awkward and unfair for one of us to stand around until the rest of the class took their seats to look for an uncontested opening. We were like in the 6th row or something and not even in gunner row so I dunno why it had to be so difficult. It sounds so petty and stupid even typing this up, but it was sooooo stressful. I'm sure it was also a source of great stress to the lefty girl who kept stealing our seat (she'd come in at like 7 am just claim it...). After all, from her perspective, we were the 4 cliquey entitled Righties who obviously did not understand her needs. Cause lemme tell ya, I had no interest in being friendly with her when I sat next to her while enduring the stank-eye from the group of peeps for now displacing them. And I didn't feel that bad if I had to talk over her to my friend now flanking her during our 10 min breaks between classes. I'm sure she loathed us as much as we loathed her. And it's sad because it's not like we had much against each other otherwise (I think). It was especially hurtful when my bf would tell me how I'm wasting energy on such a stupid problem... that he felt was not even a problem. It's unbelievable how much stress this caused me, but it did!!! It probably sounds ridiculous even to those in vet school whose class doesn't exhibit seat aggression for whatever reason.

Ugh, my bp just shot up just remembering that stuff. Funny, because it stopped being a problem once I stopped going to class altogether. Then I just had to deal with the disdain from those who felt like class skippers were evil cheaters lacking professionalism or whatever. Seriously, this post makes me sound like the biggest loser and ******* in the world. I swear I'm not! But that's what vet school does to you sometimes.

So as much as I tell you not to sweat the little stuff, OP, I totally get where you're coming from. Just try to make sure you get whatever help you need to in order to survive it.

It does not make you sound like the biggest loser, it sounds like your enduring vet school high with the rest of us ;)

It probably sounds ridiculous even to those in vet school whose class doesn't exhibit seat aggression for whatever reason.

lol 'seat aggression'

this girl in my class who sits in front of us walked up to a person in her seat once after class had already begun, and kneeled down and basically stared at him for a good two minutes as if he would move based on that, and when he didn't, she got all huffy and stormed off to another seat.

blatant display of seat aggression

lol 'seat aggression'

this girl in my class who sits in front of us walked up to a person in her seat once after class had already begun, and kneeled down and basically stared at him for a good two minutes as if he would move based on that, and when he didn't, she got all huffy and stormed off to another seat.

blatant display of seat aggression

I'm surprised she didn't pee on the seat before leaving to mark her territory. I'm so glad to be done with lectures and not have to deal with this ever again.

As for the OP; I agree with Bill59: some of what you feel is normal, but what you're describing sounds a bit like what I went through with depression around this time last year. I did a lot of yoga and meditating to deal with the stress because I've had bad experiences with counselors in the past, but I would most definitely take the advice of going to see your health services at your school. Even if it's just to have a third party to talk to about what you're going through. Also, try and give yourself some time away from all things vet related. I joined meetup.com to meet friends outside of vet school, and my sister lives in the UK so I go to her house to escape for a bit.

But seriously, definitely go see someone, or talk to a friend about what you're going through. Vet school is supposed to be difficult, but it shouldn't make you miserable 100% of the time.

I'd be pissed if someone took my seat. But I sit in the very last row in the entire room, so if someone took my seat, they did it on purpose. I'd be like, "Naw, bitch."

I feel like it's bad juju to skip, here. Like, the faculty gets all worked up if too few show up to class, because the lectures are recorded and they assume that's why people are okay with missing. No, I would probably skip even if they weren't recorded. It's kinda silly... does it really matter to the prof if people don't show up? They get paid, regardless. If folks don't pass the test, then whatever... they don't pass. It shouldn't matter.

I feel like it's bad juju to skip, here. Like, the faculty gets all worked up if too few show up to class, because the lectures are recorded and they assume that's why people are okay with missing. No, I would probably skip even if they weren't recorded. It's kinda silly... does it really matter to the prof if people don't show up? They get paid, regardless. If folks don't pass the test, then whatever... they don't pass. It shouldn't matter.

I've definitely gotten that feeling from a couple of the professors here. It's almost like it's a personal offense if a lot of people skip? Most of our lectures are recorded, but some professors refuse to do it because they think no one will come to class. I don't skip a lot, but sometimes I definitely feel like I can use my time more wisely than listening to powerpoint slides being read word for word.

Hang in there, OP! I'm not exactly miserable in vet school. There are some aspects of it that I really like. But when it's raining and dark when I get out of class and I really can't do much but go back to my apartment and study all night? Yeah, that sucks. Last semester was pretty easy for me, but this one is already kicking my butt. I'm tired all the time (actually wonder if I have a low grade infection or something) and I truly cannot bring myself to get any real work done when I get home at night. Which is really bad. I miss home and my boyfriend. I wonder what it would be like NOT to have to study or sit in class all day. But I'll do what I can and muddle through. You can do it! :luck:

Back row represent. I sit closest to the back door for quick escape.

Other people are daydreaming about an artsy profession... I get super jealous of the garbage truck guys on test days.

Back row represent. I sit closest to the back door for quick escape.

Other people are daydreaming about an artsy profession... I get super jealous of the garbage truck guys on test days.

I don't get there early enough to sit in the back row. The paradox is that you can't be a slacker and sit in the back row, because you have to get there wicked early to do it.

Also this year our classes are largely in different rooms unlike the first two years so there's a bit less of the 'MY SEAT' stuff

Don't know that I would go for garbage truck work, but my daydream job usually involves manual labor. Like home renovation, or landscaping. Something that would keep me buff, and preferably tan, on a regular basis. Hubby swears by shoveling gravel.

I *hated* vet school (I didn't mind first year, but second year and beyond rather got to me). I completely understand the soul-sucking you speak of. There is a point where you wake up and think "I don't want to get up. I don't even want this day to exist. FML."

Minnerbelle did such a good post that I'm not sure I have much to add, but for what it's worth here's what I would have told myself if I could go back in time:

- Do something you enjoy which is completely unrelated to school. Dedicate time to it.
I worked in a bakery. Totally helpful for me. It got my mind off school, I made some money, I got free meals and cookies. I got to see people who didn't care about GFR or the coagulation cascade. It was pretty much my safe haven which also smelled amazing. You probably have some cool hobby you can focus on, or even find a part time job in.

- Skip class when you have to.
Some days you just can't stand school. I would find myself driving -- and driving -- and ending up 90 miles away in a coffee shop for the afternoon. A few occasions I flew out just to do something fun. Sometimes you just have to get away. Don't feel bad about it. Just keep your grades decent - whatever that may mean to you.

- "C = DVM"
Don't berate yourself for a low grade. It happens. Passing = passing. If it gets to be an issue and you're concerned about actually failing a course, seek help. But it seems like you just got stressed, like we all do.

Finals week is especially taxing. You're totally normal in that regard. Example:
Monday final: I've studied over the weekend, I feel good
Tuesday final: I studied over the weekend a little, I feel fair
Wednesday final: I studied Monday and Tuesday, that might work out..
Thursday final: I only had time to review Wednesday night. Crap! Must cram..
Friday final: I fell asleep studying Thursday night (or pulled an all-nighter) and we'll just see how this goes...

The system is rather sadistic to put 5 cumulative exams back to back. At that point you're not learning anything. Your brain is just regurgitating. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it. Accept it and deal with it to the best of your ability. Sadly, that is the best advice I have for that. Finals blow hard.

- Find friends outside of school.
Take a dance class, an art class, go to a mixer. While my classmates were nice people on the whole, I didn't feel like I had that much in common with them. I liked people at work and would get involved in fun events there.

Also recognize that each class has cliques, dramas, and at least one person who annoys the hell out of you. There's even drama between professors, interns, residents, etc. The more you can ignore this stuff the happier you will be.

- Do something that makes you happy during the summer
Maybe that's assisting at a clinic. If that's the case, drop by a bunch of clinics in your area with a resume. Speak to the office manager or doctor in charge - let them know you're interested in assisting.

BUT maybe what's going to make you happy is doing something not related to vet med at all. I know a person who worked on a fishing boat in Alaska for summers, one who was a model, another who was a nanny. Some people just relaxed and did nothing in specific.

Do whatever you need to do to recharge. Honestly, you're probably only going to make a few thousand over the summer anyways. It'll knock down your debt some but it's a drop in the bucket. If you're mentally and emotionally burnt out, your time may be better spent tending to that instead of your bank account.

- Talk to your counselor
Our vet school had its very own counselor. I'd chat with her when I was having a hard time and she helped me understand that I was normal, vet school is hard, and helped me think of ways to adapt. I believe I saw some stat that around 40% of the students used our counseling facility at some point. There's no shame in needing someone to talk with.

They may also have tips for you to find friends at school.

Also do consider depression. It's NOT uncommon. "A study of first year veterinary students indicated that 32 percent were experiencing clinical levels of depressive symptoms. Additionally, students reported elevated anxiety scores." McArthur H, Allison M, Reisbig M, et al. Predictors of depression and anxiety in first year veterinary students: a preliminary report. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education. 2006: 33: 432-440.

That's pretty high. I'm not sure if the vet student population is naturally depressed or if vet school just takes normal people and depresses 32% of them. Either way, you're not alone.

- Recognize that you are the only person in charge of your happiness.
School can really suck. Ironically, this whole situation is something you willingly signed up for. And it's going to last for a couple more years. You can either be miserable the whole time, or you can accept it for what it is and try to make the best of it. Yeah, I've been in your shoes and this seems like crap advice. But in rough times, try to choose to be happy. Otherwise you're choosing to suffer!

Huh. This ended up pretty long. If I can get through vet school, you can too. If you ever need to vent, just PM me! :)

Last edited:
I'll just leave this here
[YOUTUBE]uccnF869JA8[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry that it's been so rough for you. Do recognize the fact that MANY people are in similar (though maybe not quite as extreme) situations to yourself. We just can't wait for it all to be OVER.

You finally get to clinics, and, while they're MUCH better than classes, you're can't wait for those to end too (so that you can get a job and work with your species of choice, and stop writing 15 page SOAPs)

Worse case scenario, you don't HAVE to stay in vet school.... but try to keep your eye on the prize, and what you'll accomplish in the long run (easier said than done).

Definitely talk to people and counselors if you can. And while making friends isn't easy, it's always helpful to have somebody in your class to talk to.