Misquoted salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

songaila

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After talking to many residents, I feel that many of you posted that the starting salary is around low to mid 100s is a little off. Maybe in Minnesota or Idaho. However, I find it is a little inflated. If you are going to practice in NM or SD, good for you.

Dr.feelgood posted the post about comparing dentist income.($50g salary and plus bonus). The example is wrong. The bonus starts "after"you meet certain goal(150g) and get a percentage of that. Therefore, salary would not be that much more than 50g. I think DPMgrad also stated that in Northeast and west, most don't start 100g. Correct me if I'm wrong

Indeed podiatry is a medical specialty but the pay is very off than similar training. The admission can not get competitive because of it. Look at CRNA and dentistry. The truth is they got "competitive" recent years because the skyrocketing salary. Neither will have a "50G salary with bonus" starting salary. The same thing with pharmacy. I doubt there are nearly as many people apply to pharmacy school if the salary is around 45g. Talk about "calling".

It is important to have a clearer picture for the students. There are a lot of improvements to be made. The pod schools have to take more responsibilities on this. There need to be a "deadline" or some sort and "standarlize test" and finally, get rid of the "recruiters" for the profession's sake. Tell me another profeesional school that has "recruiters".

Members don't see this ad.

Salaries are for suckers. Work for yourself and determine your own income. As to comparing podiatry with CRNA, some probably wouldn't want to be a nurse who knows. I know a pod in NYC, where I'm from which is considered very saturated for pods, that makes almost $200k/yr. You know why? Because he works for himself and doesn't rely on somebody to pay him but the insurances.

If your serious about podiatry you should continue.

Good luck in whichever path you chose to take!

we have dental school recruiters and a few med school recruiters that come to my college. ive seen many more recruiters for this than for podiatry.

Members don't see this ad :)
"rolling admissions" and "GRE"?

I think that's because they don't have the applicant pool that they are looking for and try to encourage others. I don't think that has anything to do with salary.

dental schools and podiatry schools use rolling admissions.

dental schools accept the DAT

podiatry schools tyipcally accept the MCAT, although a few accept the DAT/GRE

pharmacists salaries arent that great and they dont increase very much.

OSUDDS, are you a dental student or pod student?

I believe the only pod school accepting the GRE next year is OCPM. There is no podiatric medical school test so the next best thing available is the MCAT. I've contacted schools and at least 5 of them next year are ONLY accepting the MCAT. I'm not too sure about Temple but I heard they will grill you if you took the DAT. NYCPM is DAT and MCAT while OCPM you can take a few different ones for admission. As most of us on here agree, all of the schools should require the MCAT for admssion. I hope this will happen pretty soon.

Furthermore, many medical and dental schools follow the "rolling" admissions process as well. It means that schools look at your application as it is complete, and make interview decisions, and admission decisions based on when you sent everything in. The earlier you apply the better chances there are for admission (and usually scholarships).

Well, Barry I believe take GRE/MCAT as of this year.

Somebody mentioned pod schools used to only take MCATs.

I would like to see GPA AT LEAST a 3.2 across all school and a MCAT of AT LEAST 24. ACCEPT after they submit the test score.

AND NO SAME DAY ADMISSIONs.

although there is a standard day of acceptance, im pretty sure every dental school (~54) uses rolling admissions

what is your 1st language?

Well, the "rolling admission" I was talking about is more about the "application deadline".

Most of the programs have FEB1 deadline or March1 something like that. You have to at least apply before then. For pod schools, you can be a brand new applicant in July.

The bright spot I see is at least AZPOD, chicago and IOWA have decent stats(similar to DO). I am not sure about the other schools.

English? why? Are you a dentist?

After talking to many residents, I feel that many of you posted that the starting salary is around low to mid 100s is a little off. Maybe in Minnesota or Idaho. However, I find it is a little inflated. If you are going to practice in NM or SD, good for you.

Dr.feelgood posted the post about comparing dentist income.($50g salary and plus bonus). The example is wrong. The bonus starts "after"you meet certain goal(150g) and get a percentage of that. Therefore, salary would not be that much more than 50g. I think DPMgrad also stated that in Northeast and west, most don't start 100g. Correct me if I'm wrong

Indeed podiatry is a medical specialty but the pay is very off than similar training. The admission can not get competitive because of it. Look at CRNA and dentistry. The truth is they got "competitive" recent years because the skyrocketing salary. Neither will have a "50G salary with bonus" starting salary. The same thing with pharmacy. I doubt there are nearly as many people apply to pharmacy school if the salary is around 45g. Talk about "calling".

It is important to have a clearer picture for the students. There are a lot of improvements to be made. The pod schools have to take more responsibilities on this. There need to be a "deadline" or some sort and "standarlize test" and finally, get rid of the "recruiters" for the profession's sake. Tell me another profeesional school that has "recruiters".

Thank for attempting to correct my post but your are talking about different contracts. Each physician will sign a different contract. I believe that is was covered by the Young Members Committee in the APMA News a few months back. Percentage contracts will usually pay better than salaried or salaried plus bonus contracts. You must have missed comment are before my example that said (THIS IS A COMPLETELY MADE UP EXAMPLE!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
The admissions lady at the california school said the entering class had an average of 3.20 GPA and just under 25 on the MCAT. The class is pretty small with 40-48 students.

For being a brand new applicant in July, do you honestly think one has a chance of getting in the "better" pod schools at this time?

Anyway, are you sure this is the profession that you want to join? You said you got into NYCPM but you don't seem to be confident with the profession (Asking questions like "Can pods go in the physician lounges, can pods work in hospitals, etc")? Have you talked to practicing podiatrists (recent graduates too) and asked them questions? You should definitely check out a hospital with a pod residency program in place. I'm from Long Island and shadowed an attending and resident from Long Island Jewish affiliated hospitals. The attending graduating from NYCPM about 5 or 6 years ago and is head of suffolk county's pod med association.

your sentence structures sounded like a person who isn't a native english speaker

no im not a dental student

Well, Barry I believe take GRE/MCAT as of this year.

Somebody mentioned pod schools used to only take MCATs.

I would like to see GPA AT LEAST a 3.2 across all school and a MCAT of AT LEAST 24. ACCEPT after they submit the test score.

AND NO SAME DAY ADMISSIONs.

Please do not, I repeat, DO NOT join this profession. You do not seem sure about it. go find something else that you want to be a part of.

If you are not sure about going in debt 150G then run, run fast. PLEASE:thumbdown:

Song___ (whatever)

your not even decided to go to a pod school yet much less in your 1st year and your already telling us how to improve our profession?

You will definitely regret it if you come to pod school. If it were that easy to just raise admission standard across the board (with out losing money) that all the schools would do it.

MD schools like UNC have recruiters.

Since you have all the answers why don't you skip pod school and go straight to president of APMA and fix this for us?

I am very serious when I say - you should not join this profession unless you are sure, and you seem not to be sure.

The OP sounds like a clone from the network 54 site. Strange.

oncogene

calm down.

You were once "perspective student" once, correct? For those of you that have "always" wanted to be a podiatrist since you were 5, good for you. I believe at least half of use thought about "other options" at the same time(if not first).

I did read some of you guys original posts. I respect the ones that choose podiatry as the very first option. However, I do see many of you didn't have the score and can't get into "other" schools. And podiatry becomes an option which is fine. For JEWM____, I see you "thought about dentistry" too. So, I guess podiatry is like what, 3rd and 4th options? I don't freaking criticize your decisions and many of you are not "practicing pods" too. So, I don't know why is there so much hatred? Again for those of you "always" know podiatry is your calling, I totally respect that and I deserve your criticism. For those of you that are not, I am not sure why you are so angry?

I didn't know there was same day admissions until a couple days ago. I can't even question that about the schools?

calm down.

You were once "perspective student" once, correct? For those of you that have "always" wanted to be a podiatrist since you were 5, good for you. I believe at least half of use thought about "other options" at the same time(if not first).

I did read some of you guys original posts. I respect the ones that choose podiatry as the very first option. However, I do see many of you didn't have the score and can't get into "other" schools. And podiatry becomes an option which is fine. For JEWM____, I see you "thought about dentistry" too. So, I guess podiatry is like what, 3rd and 4th options? I don't freaking criticize your decisions and many of you are not "practicing pods" too. So, I don't know why is there so much hatred? Again for those of you "always" know podiatry is your calling, I totally respect that and I deserve your criticism. For those of you that are not, I am not sure why you are so angry?

I didn't know there was same day admissions until a couple days ago. I can't even question that about the schools?

I think that there has been a general lack of asking and more an enviroment of stating. I know for me, I feel a sense of disrespect when a pre-pod or 1st year student comes to SDN to tell a 3rd year, 4th year, or resident the facts of podiatry. I think that is where Krabmas is coming from. Can you understand the frustration?

I also have noticed a general lack of respect amongst the lower ranks also (I say that in a respectful manner). That bugs me also. If you are new the game or an infrequent poster, your first comments should not be cutting down the profession or another person if you want to be respected.

Other areas that give me the willies is when people post inaccurate "facts." I joke that I cam the fact police but if these forums are reday by prospective students I do not think it is fair to fill their head full of poop.

So all that being said, we all (myself included) need to work on our RESPECT. And some people just need to work on getting a sense of humor b/c my Steven Hawkins comment was funny. :thumbup:

All podiatry schools are tuition driven, meaning that their income is based on the number of students that they have in each class (schools that are affiliated with another school can share expenses and the dollar goes further with them). Recruiters help bring in students (my opinion here: Not sure if that's such a good idea).

That being said as far as salary is concerned, it depends on who you join up with and what your training consisted of and what type of practice you're looking for out of residency.

Most of you when you graduate will be seeing that there are more and more multi-speciality and ortho groups looking for a dedicated foot and ankle podiatrist. They will usually set you up with a monthly base and a percentage bonus at the end of the year.

If you're joining up with another podiatry group, they may have the above scenario, or give you a base and offer a percentage after meeting a certain goal. This may only be offered for the first year or two and then you may be offered a buy into the practice as a partner.

The third option is to be an independent contractor with the above scenarios which allows you to get all the money, but you have to pay for all of the expenses (malpractice, health insurance, taxes, etc.)

There is also the option of starting your own practice, which can be difficult coming out of residency since you need to have a good background in practice management, coding and billing insurances and have the finances to run all of this.

Now I didn't want to put numbers out there for salaries, but an average starting salary for a 1st year practictioner who has a 3 year residency under their belt would be around the $70 K - 80K range. Remember this is an average! (but it's not a bad average)

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

I'll post what I have posted a few times concerning salary. Pod salary can be very misleading mainly because of the training discrepancy but their are really many reasons. For instance, some salary reports count "year one" after you graduate. This is, of course, residency salary but it is factored in. Others decide to open up their own practices after residency training is complete. Obviously, they aren't going to make very much their first year or two but this is factored in as well.

I graduate in a few months. Since I have been coherent to the profession and especially in the last year as I have traveled the country, I have spoken with countless residents completing 3 years of surgical training. Nearly all signed on with multispecialty groups, ortho groups, and hospitals. Of those, NONE signed on for anything less than 6 figures (110k-150k). In fact, the hospital I am currently rotating at just hired on a pod today out of residency and he is starting in the low 6 figures.

Podiatry is a huge money-maker because it is procedural medicine. And groups will well compensate you for your work.

Those that sign on with existing private practice groups will sign smaller base salary contracts because they are high risk (ie no patient base). But, their incentives are higher as well so they generally still do very well their first few years.

calm down.

No offense, but you are breaking my record in the number of questions you are asking. i was having the disticntion of asking these type of questions:laugh:

But seriously, did you shadowed atleast one Podiatrist so far. You will have 99% of your questions answered in 1 day if you shadowed a good Pod. My advise is that you should really shadow a Pod before asking questions here.

But seriously did you not see that I prefaced my example with the words "this is completely made up"?

Thank you for responding.

After re-reading my posts, I regret the way I ask questions. Like you said, I am only a newbie. I would be very irritated if I am a pod student. It was in many ways disrespectful.

I had a $50,000 loan from undergrad and that is also why the "irritating" questions about salary. I don't mind the lower salary. I do feel podiatrists should be compensated accordingly because the four years of medical school and 2-3 years of residency.

Also, I am not bashing the pod schools. If you read my posts again, I said the top three(or four) has acceptable stats. The chicago school has the right number of students and the "right" stat. Some of the schools make me question a lot about their intention. I guess it all comes down to money-making.

I do appreciate there is a forum like this for ****** like me to post questions. It really helps a lot and I hope that the other perspective students can be helped too. I am sure some of the pre-pods or undecided would try to find more correct information about the profession. There are good and bad just like any other profession. I was trying to figure out if some of the bad is true or not.

I did shadow a pod in NYC and I enjoyed it. Even though he is not enthusiastic about the profession, I like what I see. I do, want to make sure I enter the profession that has a good future. I don't want to enter a profession like chiropractor in which they don't care about anything but money. Every block has one chiropractor. It is important to look at supply and demand when one invest $150,000 on education on top of the undergrad. Dentistry couldn't fill the class in the 80s because the outlook was so bad. Suddenly in 2007, many people even in their 40s have a "calling" for dentistry. Same thing about pharmacy. A lot of it is about supply and demand. Look at AMA, the MD schools haven't expanded that much from the 80s so that they don't flood the market. Of course, now you have DOs with the physician shortage. Please don't reply me with " I wish you don't enter" comments like that. I may be rude but I am honest. I can tell you that when I grow up, I didn't even know what podiatrist is. If you have always wanted to be a podiatrist since 5, like I said, I respect you and flame me with criticism. That is your true calling. And for those of you podiatrist is your first choice, I have the upper-most respect. I do regret some of my posts. However, I am a newbie trying to figure some of the "rumors" out. Sometimes, internet can be a bad thing for info too.:eek:

After re-reading my posts, I regret the way I ask questions. Like you said, I am only a newbie. I would be very irritated if I am a pod student. It was in many ways disrespectful.

I had a $50,000 loan from undergrad and that is also why the "irritating" questions about salary. I don't mind the lower salary. I do feel podiatrists should be compensated accordingly because the four years of medical school and 2-3 years of residency.

Also, I am not bashing the pod schools. If you read my posts again, I said the top three(or four) has acceptable stats. The chicago school has the right number of students and the "right" stat. Some of the schools make me question a lot about their intention. I guess it all comes down to money-making.

I do appreciate there is a forum like this for ****** like me to post questions. It really helps a lot and I hope that the other perspective students can be helped too. I am sure some of the pre-pods or undecided would try to find more correct information about the profession. There are good and bad just like any other profession. I was trying to figure out if some of the bad is true or not.

I did shadow a pod in NYC and I enjoyed it. Even though he is not enthusiastic about the profession, I like what I see. I do, want to make sure I enter the profession that has a good future. I don't want to enter a profession like chiropractor in which they don't care about anything but money. Every block has one chiropractor. It is important to look at supply and demand when one invest $150,000 on education on top of the undergrad. Dentistry couldn't fill the class in the 80s because the outlook was so bad. Suddenly in 2007, many people even in their 40s have a "calling" for dentistry. Same thing about pharmacy. A lot of it is about supply and demand. Look at AMA, the MD schools haven't expanded that much from the 80s so that they don't flood the market. Of course, now you have DOs with the physician shortage. Please don't reply me with " I wish you don't enter" comments like that. I may be rude but I am honest. I can tell you that when I grow up, I didn't even know what podiatrist is. If you have always wanted to be a podiatrist since 5, like I said, I respect you and flame me with criticism. That is your true calling. And for those of you podiatrist is your first choice, I have the upper-most respect. I do regret some of my posts. However, I am a newbie trying to figure some of the "rumors" out. Sometimes, internet can be a bad thing for info too.:eek:

Don't sweat it. A few things to remember is that the scope in NY is very limited and I'm sure there are a lot of pods in the area also. It is important to think about where you want to live when you are done.

Good luck with everything.

I would just like to add that we shouldn't bash any other health field. We all need to work together and respect one another. I know a few chiropractors (and chiropractic students) who take their professions quite seriously and aren't in it solely for the $, but because they believe in and love their work. Don't forget how much of being successful in any field involves networking.