Missed fracture: question for attendings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let’s say you missed a nondisplaced and your rib fracture on a rib series 6 months ago. You noticed the mistake. Do you make an addendum to the report and let the ordering Doc or Pcp know? Do you make it an addendum and not tell anyone? Or do you just let it be?

Members don't see this ad.

Addendum and let it be. The fracture has probably healed by now.

There’s a difference between ACR guidelines, what you should do, and what you do to keep from getting in trouble.

Trouble wise you’re safe. A nothingburger that would have reared its head already if it had consequences.

In terms of what you should do, I don’t think anything of harm could reasonably befall the patient, so in terms of nonmaleficence and beneficence I think you’re square.

The ACR bean counters would expect you to addend and call the provider.

Personally if I were faced with the circumstances I think I’d leave it be. Again I don’t think future harm is conceivable, and letting the doc know and changing the report might freak the patient out unnecessarily.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There’s a difference between ACR guidelines, what you should do, and what you do to keep from getting in trouble.

Trouble wise you’re safe. A nothingburger that would have reared its head already if it had consequences.

In terms of what you should do, I don’t think anything of harm could reasonably befall the patient, so in terms of nonmaleficence and beneficence I think you’re square.

The ACR bean counters would expect you to addend and call the provider.

Personally if I were faced with the circumstances I think I’d leave it be. Again I don’t think future harm is conceivable, and letting the doc know and changing the report might freak the patient out unnecessarily.
Provider has been made aware. So it's not like they don't know about it. Thanks