Missed match, still obtain a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nandaman

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - I just recently finished my final rotation from a Caribbean school (AUC) and have passed step 1/2 and CSA. The problem is that I finished about a month late and missed the match. What are my chances (and what is the proceedure) for trying to find a good FP spot in a place I like that starts in January? I know that's asking a lot....any thoughts?! Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

1. Go to Scutwork.com and look up all the unfilled FP spots.
2. Call them up

Some of them may have filled. The hardest part will be finding a program that starts in January - very few of them around. You will surely find some that start this or next month. But Hurry! At our program here, all the new residents start tomorrow.

Yeah, I have checked - there are about 25 programs I'd like to be at that have spots - I have called them all up, and none have any openings, but all encouraged me to apply for the 2004 match. The need to start in Jan stems from the fact that I am due to have surgery at the end of July and need 4-6 weeks off, minimum, to recover. So now, I'm looking into jobs for the next 8-10 months - any thoughts? I have a research based masters degree to go along with my MD. Anyways, thanks for your input!