Missing 3 Prereqs.. possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinemydear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My question basically is what are my chances?

I will give you background first.

Am 29, URM female and would like to apply to MD/DO this round (hopefully in July-August) I'm missing 3 science prerequisites, but my uGPA is 3.6, and sGPA is 3.9. I'm self-studying for the MCAT right now and hope to take it in June, have some interesting volunteer experience but no significant research.

Chances of getting in? Anyone admitted without all prereqs completed upon time of admission?

I understand it's better to wait and all that jazz so I'd rather not get into the nuances as to why that's a better option. Time isn't really on my side and I'd like to try at least for this round.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

You're taking the MCAT pretty late to get in to this app cycle in my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
What prereqs are you missing? Check out the breakdown of question distribution on the mcat and if you're missing large pieces of the puzzle it's going to be tricky to study for this beast.

Reactions: 1 users
Chances of getting in? Anyone admitted without all prereqs completed upon time of admission?
Do you mean application or admission? Doubt any school will take you if pre-reqs are not completed. If you received an acceptance, it would be rescinded if you don't complete or meet all requirements (including pre-reqs) prior to matriculation. In some instances, such as Touro-NV, they even stipulate that they will not accept any pre-reqs completed in the spring semester of the year of matriculation. This means that specifically for Touro-NV, you have to complete all pre-reqs by Dec of the year before matriculation. Not all schools are this way, but that's something else to consider. I'm also in a similar spot and thinking of delaying one year even though I don't like it.

Hi all,

Am 29, URM female and would like to apply to MD/DO this round (hopefully in July-August) I'm missing 3 science prerequisites, but my uGPA is 3.6, and sGPA is 3.9. I'm self-studying for the MCAT right now and hope to take it in June, have some interesting volunteer experience but no significant research.

I understand it's better to wait and all that jazz so I'd rather not get into the nuances as to why that's a better option. Time isn't really on my side and I'd like to try at least for this round.

Not having the prereqs won't be a problem as long as you indicate you plan to take them prior to matriculation. Submitting a late application and taking the MCAT without taking the prereqs could be a problem.

Reactions: 2 users
Not having the prereqs won't be a problem as long as you indicate you plan to take them prior to matriculation. Submitting a late application and taking the MCAT without taking the prereqs could be a problem.

When is the absolute latest that I should submit for MD/DO in order to be competitive this round?

What's the rush?

Taking the MCAT in June is fine - submit primary to 1 school for verification when the cycle opens, pre-write secondaries, get MCAT score back in July and fire off applications to appropriate schools, be complete by late July / early August which is plenty early. Applying without pre-req's completed is fine at most schools (as long as you can complete them in time).

I think the biggest problem is taking the MCAT while missing 3 semesters worth of material that is covered by it. Have you taken a practice test yet, and how did that go? You're 2 months away from June so if you haven't already self-taught a lot of that missing material your plan might not be possible.

I think it's fine to shoot for applying this cycle, but if your MCAT practice scores aren't good enough you should be willing to postpone for a year. Don't just take it anyways and hope to get lucky - that's a pretty surefire way to screw yourself over.

I wish I had taken the MCAT after I had taken my second physics class. My score probably would have been amazing vs great.
That being said, I still was able to gain acceptance to a great school.
Good luck with the upcoming cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Your timeline for taking the MCAT is fine for both MD and DO schools.

Hi all,

Here is a list of schools that do not require specific prereqs, but they do recommend them. Also, these schools are not "easy" to get into simply because they take a holistic approach:

Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
USC Keck
Stanford
Rush Medical College
Southern Illinois
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
NYU
University of Cincinnati
Drexel