Missing a prereq/Prereqs in progress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never taken Physics II. Obviously, I need to do that. I thought about doing it through something like UNE online but that makes me nervous with limiting places I can apply due to being a non-pandemic online prereq.

It's a 'want' not a 'need', but I'm thinking about taking a semester off next semester for some personal reasons.

I'm applying in 2023. So, I would need to either take Physics II in Summer or Fall 2023. Thoughts? I am by no means an awesome applicant and things are getting more competitive every year, so I don't want to do anything to hurt myself. All of the threads I found were old

I sadly got a C in a prereq this semester (Organic Chemistry I = super sick during the final) if that matters. I don't want to create an impression I can't handle difficult coursework. I got a B in Physics I.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When are you taking the MCAT? If you plan on taking it in summer 2023, I would just focus on the MCAT and not take physics II until fall 2023. Focusing on the MCAT and getting a good score will be more important than taking physics II sooner.

Reactions: 1 user
RTC it's been a while since I've seen a thread with all of your stats and I'm not sure if you've completed a degree or not, but I do recall you have a number of withdrawals. In general I think we have all been relatively supportive that you have good reasons for withdrawing and that you've had a good performance following the withdrawals. However, if you were to take a semester off for personal reasons immediately prior to your applications when you still have outstanding pre-reqs, this might raise some questions about your ability to handle the rigor of medical school.

Ultimately you need to do whatever is right for you. But just offering you my honest assessment of how taking a semester off at this point may be perceived.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
RTC it's been a while since I've seen a thread with all of your stats and I'm not sure if you've completed a degree or not, but I do recall you have a number of withdrawals. In general I think we have all been relatively supportive that you have good reasons for withdrawing and that you've had a good performance following the withdrawals. However, if you were to take a semester off for personal reasons immediately prior to your applications when you still have outstanding pre-reqs, this might raise some questions about your ability to handle the rigor of medical school.

Ultimately you need to do whatever is right for you. But just offering you my honest assessment of how taking a semester off at this point may be perceived.

I appreciate you remembering about the withdrawals. You have so many students running around that I appreciate you remembering something about me specifically. :)

It's student burnout and feeling like I need to up the hours on my ECs to make up for the hours loss during the pandemic that was leading me to consider a semester off. I didn't even consider that they would think it was my health problems!

I have 16 credits needed to finish my degree. It's Physics II and the rest of my language requirement.

Last edited:
Personally, I would take it as soon as possible, Spring 23, and be able to get a good grade and include it on your application. I would take it in person if possible, but if you can't then you can't. I'm a current applicant and I left 3 prereqs to be completed until after the application season started, I will still have to take one last class this spring. I will say that I was burned out and decided not to complete these courses right away, and I regret that.

Maintaining a job, ECs, and classes during application season is infinitely harder because you are writing so many secondaries. I would have loved to have put 100% of my energy into secondary essays because they are so important and if you plan on applying to >20 programs it is going to be a huge workload. You will also want to spend time on interview preparation, continued reading about programs, thank you letters, and possible in-person visits to campuses.

It is important to be an active participant in the application season as well as continue to perform your ECs for continuity, in case you end up a re-applicant. Again, I would absolutely recommend getting all required coursework out of the way so it is not looming over your head during this time. I would especially recommend AGAINST taking it during the summer because you will want to focus on secondary essays without distraction.

Reactions: 1 users

I have a follow-up question when you have a minute. I can't afford to go full-time at the four-year. What I have done when I have been low on money in the past is to take my science classes at my regular 4-year university and my gen Ed type classes at CC at the same time. I end up being full time total by being half or slightly more than half time at the two places. It would fit my budget best to take the two remaining science classes I need (Physics II and Organic Lab, so 6 credits) at the 4-year and a language class and a Psych class at CC simultaneously.

This is my last semester before my application season. I have all those withdrawals you remember. Do you think this is an issue at all? I could come up with the money if I really had to but it would dig significantly into my savings which I don't want to do if I can avoid it.