Missing Gen Chem Lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gouldie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just realized that my college only offered one semester of chemistry laboratory. I graduated in 2017 and am now applying and realizing that most colleges ask for a year of chemistry plus lab.

Here is what I took:
Introductory Chemistry Laboratory (1 credit hour) along Gen Chem
General Chemistry Laboratory (2 credits hours) alongside Orgo
Organic Chemistry Laboratory (2 credit hours) alongside Orgo II

My question is: am I missing a lab? Since I took 5 credit hours of chem lab overall, can the general chemistry lab credit hours count for both? Or should I take a lab at a CC this fall?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you not take general chemistry 2? It's usually a 2 part series. My school does offer a single semester general chemistry at a lower level but the one medical schools will expect me to take is the full-year two-part series of gen chem 1 & 2, with labs. Organic 1& 2 should also come with orgo labs 1 & 2. Did you only take 1 semester of organic chem lab?

Also, I wouldn't take any pre-requisites at a community college.

Last edited:
Did you not take general chemistry 2? It's usually a 2 part series. My school does offer a single semester general chemistry at a lower level but the one medical schools will expect me to take is the full-year two-part series of gen chem 1 & 2, with labs. Organic 1& 2 should also come with orgo labs 1 & 2. Did you only take 1 semester of organic chem lab?

Also, I wouldn't take any pre-requisites at a community college.

My college (a small liberal arts college) has a somewhat bizarre system:

I took Gen Chem 1&2, and only took one lab (1 credit hour) concurrently with Gen Chem 2, because my school only allowed one.

I took Orgo 1&2, and took a higher credit General Chemistry Laboratory with Orgo 1, which is what my school required/recommended (it was an Orgo lab with a different name)
I took the second part (Organic Chemistry Laboratory) with Orgo II. This was what many premed students did but I’m now confused about whether it’s acceptable!

Well, from what I understand, your prerequisite classes have to be complete before you matriculate. So, theoretically you could apply and see if any schools ask you to complete another lab in the year or so before you'd matriculate. Not really sure what else to do! Good luck