Missing labs impact on application (particularly TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always read that "X courses are required prior to matriculation." Most of the schools, in TX at least, state that they encourage, but do not require those courses to be complete by the time you apply, only by the time you matriculate. Some also use wording such as "acceptance is conditional upon satisfactory completion of these courses." However, TCOM states on their website that "X courses need to be complete to properly evaluate your application," which is something I'd never heard until reading their specific requirements.

Due to scheduling conflicts, I have not yet taken my Phys II lab or my Orgo II lab. I was planning on taking one of them in summer II and one in Fall 2018. However, that would mean one of the labs would not be complete by the time TCOM would be making a decision. Is this something a lot of other schools do (like I said, it was the only one I could find in TX that said that specifically). I suppose I could take both labs during summer II and they would be complete by the end of July, but that would be a really nasty semester because I'm already taking cell bio over the course of 5 weeks. If I apply with a 4.0 and a solid MCAT, would TCOM still not consider my application if I'm missing Physics II lab?

Members don't see this ad.

That is a question for TCOM. Give them a call anonymously and ask; don't worry about mentioning your stats in that phone call.

Reactions: 1 user
When I interviewed, they did something called a “file check”.

While you’re waiting for the opposite group to finish interviewing, they pull everyone into a conference room one-by-one and check with you that all their information is correct and tell you what (if any) prerequisites you still need to complete.

Because of this, I figure they’ll still offer an interview to you if they’re interested but hold back on an admissions decision until they know your prerequisite status.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me, call and ask. It won’t look bad in any way, and you will get the most accurate answer. Every school has a different way of looking at it, and even if 100 ppl tell you something is ok, it’s not until YOUR school tells you it is. (I.e. don’t call a different DO school for their opinion to see if it will qualify for your school as well):

Ppl readily get accepted without completing all the pre requisites, and it gets stated clearly on your letter of acceptance any classes or items that need to be completed prior to matriculation. So you don’t want any surprises and have no time left to complete it.

When I interviewed, they did something called a “file check”.

While you’re waiting for the opposite group to finish interviewing, they pull everyone into a conference room one-by-one and check with you that all their information is correct and tell you what (if any) prerequisites you still need to complete.

Because of this, I figure they’ll still offer an interview to you if they’re interested but hold back on an admissions decision until they know your prerequisite status.

Yes on the file check! During my interview, they pulled each student aside to tell them what they're missing. I forgot to put Bio 1 (damn, missed a bit of a gpa boost there lol) on my TMDSAS application and had to amend it sometime later. I had my interview in December and didn't take Organic II lab until the following spring semester.

You'll be fine, but feel free to call and check.

As an update, I did get around to asking a TCOM official on this one and was told that indeed, the missing lab will not hinder the application, it will just be expected to be completed by matriculation.