Missing Pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiniMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice here--
So I transferred into my university with 10 credits of Physics due to AP exams. My health professions advisor told freshman-me what science pre-reqs I needed for Texas med schools, saying my Physics pre-req was taken care of already. Well, thinking I wouldn't have to question this advisor (reading these forums made me realize perhaps advisors aren't always correct...), I pretty much kept Physics out of my mind for 4 years and completed my other pre-reqs. I even went back to this advising office every year, verifying what I had left to complete. Skip ahead to when I've submitted my TMDSAS app, then it gets processed, and the app people edited my coursework saying that I do in fact have 10 hours of Physics lecture, but do not have 2 hours of Physics lab. Oh... great. It makes sense to me now that duh why would an AP exam count as lab credit and yeah I should have taken more responsibility figuring out what I actually needed to do but anyways--
now I'm kind of freaking out.

I read on here that schools just require your pre-reqs to be complete by matriculation, and since it's 2 hrs of Physics labs that I need, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and enroll in my community college for the 1st lab this fall semester, then do the 2nd lab spring semester. Or just do both labs spring semester once I have a better idea if I'm even accepted into med school this cycle. Or should I try contacting Texas med schools for advice?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Thank yo gonnif for your helpful reply! All the Texas schools, from what I read on their websites, accept AP credit as long as it appears on my university's transcript, which it does. I think I will wait until I get some feedback from my application first, then contact those med schools for what would be best.