Missing punctuation in secondary - please advise!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoconeday

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently completed a secondary application to an MD school. I copied my essays over from Microsoft Word to their portal. I didn't realize that their character counting method was different than Word's (they counted a space between paragraphs as 2 characters). As a result, one of my essay question responses is now missing the "." on its last sentence (though thankfully the last word was left intact). Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until after submission. I am embarrassed and am not sure whether to contact admissions and explain that I did not notice the spacing error, or if it is better to leave it alone and hope they won't mind. I don't see any other typos in my essays, thankfully.

Do you think this will be bad enough for my application to be rejected? I am worried. Imagine if you're reading a post like this and the last sentence ends but it's missing a period

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

I recently completed a secondary application to an MD school. I copied my essays over from Microsoft Word to their portal. I didn't realize that their character counting method was different than Word's (they counted a space between paragraphs as 2 characters). As a result, one of my essay question responses is now missing the "." on its last sentence (though thankfully the last word was left intact). Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until after submission. I am embarrassed and am not sure whether to contact admissions and explain that I did not notice the spacing error, or if it is better to leave it alone and hope they won't mind. I don't see any other typos in my essays, thankfully.

Do you think this will be bad enough for my application to be rejected? I am worried. Imagine if you're reading a post like this and the last sentence ends but it's missing a period
bowie1.jpg

Absolutely do not email admissions over a missing period. The neuroticism such an email would display would be a cause for rejection, not your dropped punctuation.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To all, thank you for your blunt honesty. As a reapplicant (though not to this particular medical school), I’m terrified of even making small mistakes like this.

@LizzyM - thank you for your reassurance and also for giving me a much needed laugh.

I noticed a small typo on one of my secondaries and was freaking out about it for weeks. Two days ago I got a II from that school. Everyone makes typos and minuscule errors. Just look at some of the e-mails sent by schools, a few have typos!

Reactions: 1 user
To all, thank you for your blunt honesty. As a reapplicant (though not to this particular medical school), I’m terrified of even making small mistakes like this.

@LizzyM - thank you for your reassurance and also for giving me a much needed laugh.
Ah, you'll fit right in.

This post was a joke, right?

Reactions: 1 user
No, this common question and worry by applicants. This OP IS suffering from Application Submission Syndrome (A-S-S), which is the second stage of PREMED : Psychotic Reactionary Event Manifestation Exclusionary Disorder. This is a disorder that is a psychotic reaction the events around applying to medical schools that manifests itself in the exclusion of rational thought. Seemingly highly intelligent, high achieving students are most susceptible to this disorder. Loss of major rational thought and reactions to unsubstantiated beliefs, rumors, innuendos, and other irrational and illogical cognitive processes. A form of collective behavior.

This second stage Application Submission Syndrome (A-S-S. People suffering from this malady have an overriding sense of powerlessness and cognitive dissonance with obsessively reviewing in minute detail of the their application including trivial punctuation and hypothetically projecting worries, scenarios, and other delusional thoughts based on rumor, innuendo, myth, and whatever other misinformation they may acquire. In short, they can make an A-S-S of themselves. There is no treatment that has any effectiveness as most suffering it have a temporary loss of rational reasoning. On occasion, these can lead to critical episodes which may require restraints and sedation.
Is there a cure??? :corny:

No, this common question and worry by applicants. This OP IS suffering from Application Submission Syndrome (A-S-S), which is the second stage of PREMED : Psychotic Reactionary Event Manifestation Exclusionary Disorder. This is a disorder that is a psychotic reaction the events around applying to medical schools that manifests itself in the exclusion of rational thought. Seemingly highly intelligent, high achieving students are most susceptible to this disorder. Loss of major rational thought and reactions to unsubstantiated beliefs, rumors, innuendos, and other irrational and illogical cognitive processes. A form of collective behavior.

This second stage Application Submission Syndrome (A-S-S. People suffering from this malady have an overriding sense of powerlessness and cognitive dissonance with obsessively reviewing in minute detail of the their application including trivial punctuation and hypothetically projecting worries, scenarios, and other delusional thoughts based on rumor, innuendo, myth, and whatever other misinformation they may acquire. In short, they can make an A-S-S of themselves. There is no treatment that has any effectiveness as most suffering it have a temporary loss of rational reasoning. On occasion, these can lead to critical episodes which may require restraints and sedation.
You know I think you hit the nail on the head! But, you forgot to close the parenthesis in your second paragraph.

Honestly thanks for the reassurance that this stress was unnecessary. As a reapplicant/older applicant, I really tried hard to get things right, which is why even something this minuscule really bugged me.