Mission Trips 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Molinator

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking a year off, and I would love to do a mission trip during my gap. Where should I start looking?! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools frown on mission trips, so keep that in mind. There are lots of opportunities to volunteer in dentistry in the states, so I recommend you do that instead.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely make sure you avoid trips that'll have you doing something that requires professional training otherwise you're in for a world of hurt if you speak of that at an interview. I've also heard of schools that question why you've helped a foreign community when there's likely so much need locally. Didn't run into that question personally though.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely make sure you avoid trips that'll have you doing something that requires professional training otherwise you're in for a world of hurt if you speak of that at an interview. I've also heard of schools that question why you've helped a foreign community when there's likely so much need locally. Didn't run into that question personally though.

That totally makes sense. I'll try to find something local here in Texas. Thanks!

Ramusa.org will you give you the same experience in the usa youd get in other countries..but if you want to do a traditional one look up ligainternational.org thisnis probably your cheapest option, have to get to either la or phx and its a $200 flight fee from there in a gen aviation plane with volunteer pilots to el fuerte mexico, get to see numerous specialties and really great people all around

I did a mission trip to Jamaica and it came up in my interview at BU and my interviewer loved it. I volunteer locally as well but I think going international and paying the costs associated with that shows dedication to helping PEOPLE.

That totally makes sense. I'll try to find something local here in Texas. Thanks!
Look into Mission of Mercy. Texas usually has 3-4 per year in different areas of the state. If you don’t have a dental license you can always help the patients get from point A to B, paper work, or serve food to the other volunteers.