What do adcoms think about mission trips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hardworkingstudnt1231241

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are mission trips looked down upon by dental school adcoms? I really want to be a missionary dentist in the future, and I want to experience different cultures by going onto short mission trips (religious)
 
Are mission trips looked down upon by dental school adcoms? I really want to be a missionary dentist in the future, and I want to experience different cultures by going onto short mission trips (religious)

I think this depends on the way that you discuss any mission trips that you have been on. Have you served your local community as well? Did you do anything there that you cannot do by law here? etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are mission trips looked down upon by dental school adcoms? I really want to be a missionary dentist in the future, and I want to experience different cultures by going onto short mission trips (religious)
 
From my one term experience being on the admissions committee, I believe pretty much all pre-dental experience can be written in a positive manner that shows you've grown from it. Admissions officers like to see people with insightful comments on their experiences regardless if it's in a private practice or in a free dental clinic in your hometown. Abroad is no different. Try to avoid speaking about your experience like poverty porn or like if you have Messiah complex.